WWV & related stations to be defunded

Being an RF guy, and a vintage gear guy, I have a number of vintage frequency counters that I like to use and I use WWV's 10 MHz signal to zero beat their internal 10 MHz reference oscillators. One can achieve accuracy on the order of a frogs eye lash.

Okay, I know that I could dig out my rubidium standard or discipline my reference oscillators using GPS, but that is hardly vintage...

BTW here is another thread about the same thing.

Back when I was more active on the HF amateur radio bands, I used WWV's various frequencies as a general indicator of band conditions and of course to manually (yes, I am that old) set my clocks.

Lot of time tones available in OTA tv stations ... cable and satellite both have their time updated from the source. At least there's an alternative to manually set your stuff when needed. Then again, be interesting to find out where THEY get their time from ...

Short version of the latest bill ... WWV and WWVH are proposed for taking offline, but not WWVB. It's the WWVB signal that's used by clocks and such for daily synchs. That would leave the 60mhz band live ... for now anyway.

Well, I searched, honest I did. Even did a site-specific Google search. My Google-fu is weak. Still, it would be really bad to lose even the 10 Mhz signal.

Back
Top Bottom