x100b cover over power switch

stereory

I was blowing the dust out of a x100b. In the photo below (not the actual amp in question) you will notice in the bottom left corner a metal cap/cover with a blob of solder on it. It covers the power switch/volume control.

On mine I noticed that the blob of solder doesn't hold the cover in place firm, you can wiggle it a bit.

I was concerned of this movement since the cap is metal and its covering a joint that is line voltage.... don't want to see sparks and a tripped circuit breaker or course.

Is that cover supposed to be firm, unable to be wiggled side to side?

Fisher_x100B-1.jpg

Suppose if it won't come OFF, it's OK. You could clean the mating edges and add ANOTHER solder blob, of course... use a big iron so it goes quick.

There should be a heavy cardstock sleeve inside. Check for it. If nothing you can make your own from a playing card. Insert it so it covers all of the internal parts but doesn't extend from the can. Solder it to the switch. 2 opposite spots are fine. A very hot iron (like Tom said)helps immensely.

If you were to remove it you would find a heavy paper sleeve designed to avoid shocking situations.

Thanks, I feel better knowing there is likely a cardboard sleeve in there. I don't think I am going to bother with it until next time I am under the hood.

If there was a dead short with that cap ... would the internal fuse blow before a circuit breaker?

Last edited:
Probably considering the fuse is probably a 2 to 2.5amp fuse and the circuit breaker in typical house circuits are 15amps.

Back
Top Bottom