1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

X101B, Hi-FREQ(10KHz) Phono Squeal, Volume Dependent

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by larryderouin, Sep 10, 2016.

1. tnsmnichols

tnsmnichols Member

Glad to hear of the successful surgery and glad you are back on the interwebs!

2. larryderouin

larryderouin Do I get Food, Med's, or more gear this Month? Subscriber

I'm working on being able to sit up from, laying down, and standing up from sitting which is hell of a lot harder than it looks in the book. or during practice beforehand. I can only sit up paritally about 1/2hour right now. right leg doesn't want to take weight at the hip(something new) which scared the shit outa me y'day. More Fun & Games with PT & OT TODAY. They want me to go to rehab facility (Read nursing-home). I told them I AM GOiNG DiRECTLY HOME no matter what they say, I'll go AMA if needed! People go to rehab facilities to die,at least in Md. Not me guys, I've got a grand-daughter to give away if this crap on the streets against cops keeps up. I hope it doesn't come to that

vendo81, RUmad and RS Steve like this.
  3. buglegirl

buglegirl In The Direction Of The Singularity Subscriber

Larry,

I am praying for you.

Frannie

4. dcgillespie

dcgillespie Fisher SA-100 Clone Subscriber

Larry -- You're a tough ol' codger, so I know you'll pull though -- but I'm keeping you in my prayers as well......

Dave

5. RS Steve

RS Steve Tube Junkie Subscriber

Get healed up Larry, too much gear in need of repair. ;)

Glad your surgery went well, take it easy and behave yourself! :thumbsup:

6. nj pheonix

nj pheonix AK Subscriber Subscriber

Get well soon Larry

7. notdigital

notdigital AK Subscriber Subscriber

Excellent!!! And a quick recovery!!

8. arts

arts Super Member

Very glad things went well,and very happy to see you back! Recovery's bound to be a bitch,but positive waves baby,positive waves!

[​IMG]

Cheers mate,

Art

9. vendo81

vendo81 AK Subscriber Subscriber

You tell em' Larry! The best to you on a speedy recovery!

10. larryderouin

Got home about 2100 last night. Dog raised hell as we put the gate up btwn the kitchen and dining room to keep her in the kitchen. Took meds # 0005 and just woke up. Felt really ood without someone jabbiing a thermometer in your armpit, or feeling like I was in a bad VINCENT PRICE Vampire Movie. Got a get dressed and go walk out to the mailbox and back 3 times a day for imaginary bills and maybe some drawings from the Grandkids......

11. I LIKE MUSIC

I LIKE MUSIC Super Member

I am glad you made it home. Take care and heal fast.

12. larryderouin

LEFT SIDE PHONO is acting up again. I pulled it off the shelf and sat down with a stiff dental brace brush on the drill driver and sprayed the input RCA's with DeOxit and the brush on the drill driver. All tube sockets also cleaned. All tubes are brand new Tung-sol re-Issues (5AR4, 7591, 12ax7 x2), or EH (12ax7 x 4)
    12ax7's I asked Jim McShane to Match. Bias set to 44v. As I recall all 4 7591's are running very close to each other, although I can check them, as I asked Jim to match them also.. Swapping tubes between sides and positions makes NO CHANGE in squeal.

Left Phono problem;
    1.) No Source connected. slight hum @ FULL VOLUME. Same on Right side. Speaker used is Sansui SP-2500 96db to 98 db /1m / 1w or KOSS Pro-4AA (250ohm).
    2.) Shorting plug added. Hum gone. @ FULL VOLUME. Same on Right Side.
    3.) Added a Turntable. High Pitched squeal in LEFT CHANNEL ONLY. Starts with Volume knob pointing to 11:30 and is volume Dependent up to FULL VOLUME. Not limited to 1 turntable or one selection (mag 1, Mag 2, Ceram) Tried SL-1200(Panasonic), PL-25F(PIONEER), Dual 1215. All have NEW Cables and RCA plugs. cables ohm out to 15-20 ohms total depending on length. Grounds are 100% to TT Chassis and to 101-B Chassis. Squeal is also Volume Dependent with Low Level Pots.
    4.) RIGHT Channel is DEAD QUIET. (See 1 & 2) No Hum with source connected or shorting plug connected @ FULL VOLUME.

Any Ideas???

13. dcgillespie

Which channel's output tubes are close to the phono input jacks?

Dave

14. larryderouin

V4 - V5 are Left Side Tubes. These are in the corner with the Phono input's. I swapped them with V9 & V10. No change.

I won't be able to work on it for a couple days. Stepped into a hole in the back yard last night (backing up from deck,into hole Lucy dug and didn't see it.) and fell twisting both legs under me. DAMNED DOG. I'm OK, but sore as hell.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2016
  15. dcgillespie

Larry -- It won't be the tubes themselves but rather, it is the fact that the left channel output tubes are so close to the left channel inputs. try this: Turn the Mode Switch to Stereo Reverse and let us know what happens to the oscillation.

Dave

16. larryderouin

I don't know what I did to it, other than cleaning the hell outta the RCA's and tube sockets, but the squeal isn't there now. I left it on for an hour, and not a peep out of it on phono. It's quite possible that it's an intermittent and will eventually raise it's ugly head, based on chassis flex when the bottom is left off. Before I cleaned it I could turn off and on the squeal quite easily by flexing the chassis and V2, but after cleaning it was harder to turn on and off the squeal, and V2 wouldn't change anything. So cleaning did help some. Right now it's(squeal) off. The chassis does flex some when all assembled but not much, less than a 1/4" corner to corner. Bottom off flex is greater than 1/2".

Today, Tried swapping the TT RCA's between MAG1 and MAG2 (while swapping the Shorting plugs to the other inputs). No squeal or other sounds other than a bit of hiss with the volume maxed out and ear 6" from speaker.(KLH 17). Could it have been an intermittent in the RCA Jacks due to 50+ years of crud and junk, and them getting RF Interference from the output's. Now with the inputs cleaned, they may be more resistant to interference from the output's?

I'm still going to replace the RCA Jacks eventually with new mounting plates, (when I get the nerve to dig in to all the resistors in the Phono circuit at the jacks). Also going to do the rest of the inputs the same. I'm thinking about using a metal plate as the mounting for the jacks to the chassis. One more thing, would be to close off the phono box I fabbed earlier with a metal plate to completely box the phono in.

COMMENTS?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  17. dcgillespie

Check it again with the treble control turned up full.......

Dave

18. larryderouin

When I checked the Reverse stereo, I had the Volume all the way up and turned up the Bass, Treble, Stereo Dimension, Balance both ways, switched the loudness, High and low filters on and off. No change other than some enhanced hiss when treble or bass turned up. It was as quiet as a tomb.

Right now I'm thinking that the extreme cleaning and tightening, I did of the tube sockets and the RCA's gave the contacts enough clean area to overcome any interference that was put out by the tubes and transformers.

Further reflection: I've either got Gremlins, or TROLL's in the X-101-B. I haven't gotten it wet, exposed it to sunlight, or fed it after midnight, so that rules out Gremlins. So it has to be TROLLS!!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  19. arts

arts Super Member

Without re-reading the whole thread,did you ''fix-up'' all of the mechanical grounds to the chassis? These have always caused me more trouble than anything else.

20. larryderouin

No. But I'll check them out next time I pull it out of the shelf.