X202 faceplate scan

rufleruf

Poor Impulse Control
I joined the club! Dragged home a nicely working x202 with a very poor faceplate.

Can someone scan their X202 faceplate and send me the file? I'm going to get some made by front panel express.

Anyone else need one? I think it would be more like the later champagne colored anodized.

Matt

Looking not so good, but sounding great! Lots to do, but it has all its original jewels. Two knobs are incorrect. How many of you have rough face plate Fishers of this era?

Can you say RAT-ROD!! Clear coat it and be done with it. And Audiodon thought he had a Ratty lookin Fisher!

Is that brass or steel? My parts TA-600 has a rusty steel face with some sort of brass-looking finish. My good one has an actual brass faceplate that polished right up.

Very cool! I agree with Larry, make a rat-rod out of it. There's something about a rough looking but mechanically/electrically solid piece of gear that I really appreciate. If you keep it as-is or fix it up cosmetically you can't go wrong, congrats on a nice find!

I'd scan mine for you but it says "Executive" rather than "X202"... don't feel too bad, mine has a bad tarnish spot too. I think almost all of them do.

I'm going to have to do some photoshop to get the graphic in the format Front Panel Express needs, so I could deal with "Executive" in the corner. Once I know the font, or at least have a few characters to copy I can probably make up the rest.

I may be able to work from a copy machine copy rather than a scan, but a picture will definitely have too much distortion.

They have an option to do engraving rather than printed graphics, but it/s pretty expensive.

Yes, that should work. I'm pretty rusty with photoshop, but I know a few guys who are really good - maybe I just do some 12 pack engineering.

Cool thing is, if it works out, the place that does the graphics will be able to do it for anyone in the future. I'm more worried about getting the faceplate color and texture right. I think I can do a brush then gold anodize, or just do brushed then silver anodize. Will be an interesting project.

Last edited:
None of my X-202's have pristine faces on them, so I would be interested, but would prefer a gold over brushed aluminum.

The base material of the panels is 4mm thick aluminum. I was looking at what it would take to mount the new panel, appears to be some work, but not bad. They can add texture and anodize colors before adding the graphic.

I am working with them now to see how close a finish they can achieve to the original - I just need a good sample of an original to send. walyfd is working on one for the cause

I have inquiries out a few places to get the photoshop / illustrator work done for the graphic - waiting to hear back.

To give an idea, the panel in gold anodize, with the machining done, but no graphic is $74 for 1 - 4, then $67 5 - 9. I'm not sure what the graphic printing will add, but I would be surprised if it went over $100 each all in.

If the panel comes out nice I may do one for a TA600.

Last edited:
If I were able to get a new one for the console, then I'd be looking for one for the tuner as well... like rechroming one headlight bezel... just doesn't look right.

Their price structure is such that once the process is developed and the first one is successful, additional components should be cost effective. I just need to learn photoshop...

Most of the cost is in the original setup. Graphics and lettering, then getting them inputted into the system so it works and produces a product that is aceptable to the customer. Repeat batches should only cost for time and materials as the original programming is there.

Waly; So put a patch over the rusty headlight bezel. INSTANT PIE-RAT CADDY!!

Back
Top Bottom