x_25's mixing/computer setup

x_25

Big Vandies!! Mwahahah...
Edit: Got it all set up how I want it now so I have added an updated picture.

Finally got around to getting my desk setup. This is where I will be doing all my audio mixing.

Speakers are JBL LX-22's amp is a Yamaha RX-V490. The computer interface is a Tascam US-1641.

The computer is custom built with an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black running at 3.6Ghz with 8gb of ram.

DSCF7111Custom.jpg

DSCF7112Custom.jpg

Last edited:
Nice setup! what do you think of that Tascam? I've been looking very hard at one...

do you like mixing on a screen? i am old and used to using a desk, but i am learning cause there are lots of ways to make a record

Last edited:
Very nice.

A picture for those that are not familiar with the Tascam,

You have a great set up to make some :music::music::music::yes::thmbsp:

Attachments

• TASCAM.jpg
    TASCAM.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 38
Nice setup! what do you think of that Tascam? I've been looking very hard at one...

I love it. The sound quality is superb and it is easy to use, build quality is sturdy where it needs to be, lessened where they can to save cost (the knobs are all cheep plastic). It is very quite and has tons of gain if you need it.

The two gripes I have, the headphone amp is just meh at best and the monitor out's (the only output with volume control) seems to not sound as good as the main outputs, but don't take that to the bank, it was a real quick test.

Being USB you need to be careful though. USB shares a total of 480mbps across each buss (Fire wire is actually a bit slower). Any two USB ports that are stacked on top of one another are generally on the same buss and usually there are no more than two per buss (unless you add a hub.) You want to make sure the Tascam has a buss all to itself, otherwise you may get dropouts and such when whatever else is on the buss tries to access it.

Oh, and as always, it doesn't have enough in's and out's. :D But any of you that do this kind of stuff will know there are never enough.

Here are a couple tracks I have recorded with my band in my garage. All mixed on the included Cubase LE 4.

Not This

Family

Wrong Side of the Tracks

do you like mixing on a screen? i am old and used to using a desk, but i am learning cause there are lots of ways to make a record

I don't really have the in's and out's to mix on a desk nor the money to get them. I managed to pick up the Tascam on sale for $250. I do live to two channel mixes for my church (they put out DVD's) and really do prefer having a physical interface but just can't afford one.

For my own use I do use a Mackie CR-1604 when tracking. I use it as mic-pre's and to run headphone mixes for everyone on the aux outs. Fantastic mixer. :yes:

Last edited:
Finally got around to getting my desk setup. This is where I will be doing all my audio mixing.

Speakers are JBL LX-22's amp is a Yamaha RX-V490. The computer interface is a Tascam US-1641.

The computer is custom built with an AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black running at 3.6Ghz with 8gb of ram.

Cool. :thmbsp: Is it easy enough to grab just the Tascam & a laptop to do some remote recording, or is this setup in your rehearsal space?

je

Here are a couple tracks I have recorded with my band in my garage. All mixed on the included Cubase LE 4.

Not This

Family

Wrong Side of the Tracks

I checked out the tunes- you've come a long way from the previous recordings you've posted! :thmbsp::yes:

I'd give you one quick bit of advice...try walking away from each mix for a while, then re-visiting it with your monitoring volume quite low. This can give you a better idea of where your vocals are sitting in the mix.

je

Cool. :thmbsp: Is it easy enough to grab just the Tascam & a laptop to do some remote recording, or is this setup in your rehearsal space?

je

This is in my bedroom actually. We have most of the album we are working on tracked, but when we were doing that I only had my laptop to work with. We would take everything down to the garage and set up there. Now when I am doing recording I drag my desktop down (heavy but it has handles.) The laptop tops out at 9 tracks at 24/44.1 and about 12 at 16/44.1 so I needed a bit more horesepower. Mixing I rally need my desktop, once I start adding EQ and effects the laptop chokes.

I checked out the tunes- you've come a long way from the previous recordings you've posted! :thmbsp::yes:

I'd give you one quick bit of advice...try walking away from each mix for a while, then re-visiting it with your monitoring volume quite low. This can give you a better idea of where your vocals are sitting in the mix.

je

Those are some older mixes. I was waiting to get a nice mix station setup to revisit them. I most likely will be starting over from scratch on the mixes, the vocalist wants to redo his vocal parts and I may retrack the drums with my new kit (my playing has improved a bit and my new kit sounds lovely.)

This is in my bedroom actually. We have most of the album we are working on tracked, but when we were doing that I only had my laptop to work with. We would take everything down to the garage and set up there. Now when I am doing recording I drag my desktop down (heavy but it has handles.) The laptop tops out at 9 tracks at 24/44.1 and about 12 at 16/44.1 so I needed a bit more horesepower. Mixing I rally need my desktop, once I start adding EQ and effects the laptop chokes.

9 tracks isn't so bad at all if you're going to do just a drum kit & a scratch track. I've done lots of entire band recordings with 8 tracks when I had to, but yeah- more = more better. I'm hoping to put together a better (more portable/less fragile) remote setup, with a rack-mount PC & a spare Digi 001 I have...I should be able to get 16-18 tracks at a time 24/44.1. Either that, or I'll just get an Alesis HD24 & be done with it.

Those are some older mixes. I was waiting to get a nice mix station setup to revisit them. I most likely will be starting over from scratch on the mixes, the vocalist wants to redo his vocal parts and I may retrack the drums with my new kit (my playing has improved a bit and my new kit sounds lovely.)

Excellent- looking forward to hearing it.

je

Updated picture. It now has a turn table and that lived in look. I also added my Stax headphones on the B speaker outputs and isolated the speakers on cut in half racket balls. It really tightened up the bass.

DSCF7132Custom.jpg

Back
Top Bottom