XBox One S - using it in place of a laptop to stream networked music to DAC

Discussion in 'PCs & Music Servers' started by moggi1964, Mar 17, 2017.

1. moggi1964

moggi1964 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I know, lengthy title!

I currently use Jriver as the server on the home PC (Windows 10) and stream music to a Windows 10 Laptop which connects via USB to my Emotiva XDA-2 DAC. We are moving and I may need to find a way to integrate my son's Xbox One S (XB1S) into the system and I figure if I can use that in place of the laptop that would work. I know you can load Plex on the XB1S and I have read that it will stream FLAC and I would connect it via optical to my XDA2.

Has anyone any experience or thoughts on this idea?

I know the XB1S will output PCM and I think it is at 24/192 though I cannot seem to get verification in my searches.

2. reggiesanche

reggiesanche AK Subscriber Subscriber

I set up plex on xbox one and had good results, but running a plex server on a windows 10 pc is a pain in the arse so much so that I just gave up. Good timing on the post though. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can use my xbox as just a flac player with no monitor controllex by smart glass.

3. moggi1964

moggi1964 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thanks for the post on your experience. I'll have to have a play around. Be interested to hear how your next experiment works out.