XBox One S - using it in place of a laptop to stream networked music to DAC

moggi1964

I know, lengthy title!

I currently use Jriver as the server on the home PC (Windows 10) and stream music to a Windows 10 Laptop which connects via USB to my Emotiva XDA-2 DAC. We are moving and I may need to find a way to integrate my son's Xbox One S (XB1S) into the system and I figure if I can use that in place of the laptop that would work. I know you can load Plex on the XB1S and I have read that it will stream FLAC and I would connect it via optical to my XDA2.

Has anyone any experience or thoughts on this idea?

I know the XB1S will output PCM and I think it is at 24/192 though I cannot seem to get verification in my searches.

I set up plex on xbox one and had good results, but running a plex server on a windows 10 pc is a pain in the arse so much so that I just gave up. Good timing on the post though. Tomorrow I am going to see if I can use my xbox as just a flac player with no monitor controllex by smart glass.

Thanks for the post on your experience. I'll have to have a play around. Be interested to hear how your next experiment works out.

Project never got out of the gate, grove music does not support flac playback which is pretty wierd but it is what it is. In your case you would need your server to process the files, which plex must have done for me I just didnt realize it.

Back
Top Bottom