Xiang Sheng DAC-01A..... Any good?

mjw21a

Ok, so I'm looking at the Xiang Sheng DAC-01A (aka Grant Fidelity DAC-09 & Maverick Audio Tube Magic DAC) as a relatively affordable solution for my secondary sound system.

I currently have a Oldchen SEP amp which has only a single input. Unfortunately I need to run my phono stage, TV and Marantz Cd63se Mk2 into this as well. I had been using a cheap RCA switch box to select the input though I've found the switch box introduces a harshness into the sound.

Now the cheap TV I have there has no RCA output so I've been running the headphone out for this which sounds rubbish. It does have Toslink optical out though.I kind of need to run the TV though my sound system as the gym area is shared with the man cave and the telly sound is so bad its actually hard to understand whats being said at times.... Heck, this is still true running from the headphone jack, though not quite as bad.

I'm thinking that the Xiang Sheng DAC-01A could be used as a preamp (internally there's a swith to use it as a preamp) running coax from the CDP to it, fibre from the TV and RCA from my phono stage. I'm thinking this could be a nice inexpensive upgrade for everything (except for vinyl playback). Particularly since the Opamps are socketed which will make for easy changes. I can source a Russian 6N3P-E cheaply which should make quite a difference.

I will probably replace the Apple TV with something like a small footprint Intel Atom PC at some point so the USB interface could prove useful.

Opinions?

Last edited:
I have the Maverick version and like it a lot. Sounds great to my ears and is very versatile! Unfortunately, like many Chinese products, the construction quality can be hit or miss. I have read reports here of people needing to fix poor solder joints, etc. I would take the chance, though. Good luck.

from a CDP the optical toslink is far better than the USB connection. you can switch back and forth and
hear the difference. and for my system, the tube output also offers better sound.

My Marantz CD63SW Mk2 has a Coax connection that I intend to use, and I'll use the Toslink for my cheap TV and I'll eventually use the USB input for a media center PC. I'mm run my phono stage into the Aux RCA and that'll be it. I intend to use the tube output stage. :)

Well, I have seven other pieces of Chinese gear (2x tube amps, 1x tube hybrid amps, 2x DAC's, 1x USB interface) which has served me well over a number of years and have in fact exceeded my expectations. I've no reason to think this experience will be any different. I believe he's just had some bad luck is all.

Last edited:
I have this unit. I moved the jumpers so that the volume control works on the RCA outputs. I am using it as a preamp. I am using the optical input for a Grace gdi-irdt200 internet tuner, the coaxial input for my CD transport, and one of the analog RCA inputs for a tuner. I got this after a "make offer" listing on e-bay for $125 shipped free. IT IS WONDERFUL! It works like a charm and I think the DAC is very good. The fact that it has two outputs is also great as I am running two amps, one a tube amp and the other either a SS or a different tube amp. I consider this one of the best audio purchases I have ever made. So I can give it a big:banana: or two :banana::banana:.

I've used a Xiang Sheng DAC-01A at work for years, and never had an issue with it. USB input only, but I've tried the other inputs, and everything seemed OK. I did upgrade mine with a new tube (GE JAN5670W - I believe), and added opamp sockets, as mine had opamps soldered directly to the main board. After that, I replaced the stock opamps with Linear Tech LT1364s. Maybe one day I'll try some of the more expensive audiophile opamps. But for now, it's a very nice DAC Amp. I still want to try biamping with the DAC-01A, with the tube outs to the highs, and the SS outputs to the bass amp. I'd think that would be sweet.

Ok, I set the DAC up as a pre amp (changed the jumpers) and changed the tube to a GE 5 star 5670. I must say that I'm quite impressed with this thing. I'll definitely remove the OPAMPS and solder in sockets, as well as better caps. Thus thing has some real potential ;)

Surprised opamps not socketed, they are on the Maverick version.

The Maverick is a custom built version of this DAC, so it does vary from the stock unit. The Xiang Sheng and Grant versions, are straight from the factory.

Also, I had to mod my Xiang Sheng too. No sockets for the opamps. So, I had to desolder the originals, add sockets, and pop in the replacement Linear opamps. Not too hard to do, but I do have a very good soldering station at work, along with a stereo microscope. That helped! :p The biggest difficulty was getting the main board to lay flat, as the wiring harness doesn't have much slack. So, kind'a hard to get the board to lie still, in a horizontal position (no comments). :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've had my Maverick DAC for a few years works fine. Got the opamp upgrade and GE 5 white star. Do you think the OPAMP upgrade was worth it? I'm not sure my ears are qualified to judge.

Some versions of the Maverick DAC's come standard with the upgraded opamps. If not, Maverick offers Burr Brown OPA627 upgrades.

http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/tube.html

As to my Xiang Sheng, I'm not sure what the stock opamps were, as the part numbers were erased. But the Linear Tech LT1364 opamps that I upgraded to, sounded much better, in my opinion. Cleaner, more open, and extended. After break in, very clean sounding. Not overly euphoric or warm, which I don't like, as I don't want everything sounding like syrup. I like natural/neutral better. The Burr Brown OPA627 are probably a bit warmer. I might try them one day, but I'm in no rush to do so, as the DAC sounds fine as-is. If I do anything else, in the near future, it'll probably be capacitor related.

I have the Maverick version & I'm pretty satisfied with it. The input/output options are a good feature. I mostly use the optical input, which has a clearer and quieter sound than the analog w/more extension.

I swapped in a GE 5 star as well. I will say that it's kind of a bear to get the case open on the Maverick.

I do wish I had upgraded to a Burr-Brown chip.

Hi All,

I was just going to pull the trigger on the XianSheng DAC-01A with the XMOS U8 upgrade when I read in the blurb: "The volume potentiometer does not control volume on the line outputs, just the headphone." I want to use this as a pre-amp. How do you guys handle this?

Hi All,

I was just going to pull the trigger on the XianSheng DAC-01A with the XMOS U8 upgrade when I read in the blurb: "The volume potentiometer does not control volume on the line outputs, just the headphone." I want to use this as a pre-amp. How do you guys handle this?

Are you looking at the listing from "thanksbuyer"? (it's here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/282124718398)

I only ask because that's who I bought mine from, and only after a number of messages did they even add the note that states that the item doesn't actually ship with the XMOS chip (I wrote the note for them, because it seemed like a start). I've advised them to create new listings for the regular (Tenor TE7022L USB chip) and upgraded (XMOS U8 USB chip), but so far, they haven't.

I will say that the regular version (which is what they sent) sounds great in my office system, but I AM left wondering what the upgraded version sounds like! I just wanted you to know which version you're actually getting. If it's 140 bucks, it's probably not the upgraded one! Good luck!

-Carl

Back
Top Bottom