XP-7 Tweeters not working

bjbusse

Purchased a pair of xp-7 with replacement Polk dynamic balance tweeters which are producing very little sound.Can anyone tell me where I can obtain a wiring diagram so I can check to see if they where wired correctly. Or any thoughts on what might be causing the problem.

Thanks
BJBusse

Been there. XP-7s are extremely rolled off on the top end. I started a thread about this last spring, do a search and you'll find it. Bottom line is you probably need to recap. My XP-7s likely need so, but I just haven't got around to it yet.

PS - I got some great advice from forum members.

The thread is titled "Another Question - XP-7". My apologies for not following up. The thread dates to early May of this year and will give you some insights into the XP-7 speakers.

Thanks quadaptor. I read that someone suggested that the resistor be disconnected to improve the response of the tweeter but the post that the tweeter connects to does not appear to be in the same circuit. Any ideas on locating a wiring diagram.

I suggest sending a PM to the person who posted the message. I'm just a rank amateur in this field of experts. I still would start with a basic recap and see where you need to go from there. Keep us posted on your results and best of luck!

I have a pair of XP-9s, almost the same as the XP-7 except 3 midrange units and slightly heavier magnets.

Here is the crossover:

Woofer has an inductor in series and no capacitors.

Midrange has a 2.2 ohm resistor in series with a 25 uf capacitor. The line then splits to 2 inductors, one to the common return, the other to the midrange drivers. Those drivers are 2 in series, the combination in parallel with the 3rd driver and a 5 ohm resistor simulating a 4th driver.

Tweeter has a 3.75 ohm resistor in series with a 4 uf capacitor, in series with the tweeter.

Both capacitors are, of course, non polarized. Midrange are connected with polarity reversed.

These speakers were new in 1967 and the instruction manual copyright 1964. There appear to have been multiple versions of these and mine do not have an "A", "B", or "C" suffix after the XP-9.

Back
Top Bottom