XP-99 TT won’t start

samosui

When I press the start button, the LED just blinks for 10 or so seconds then speeds up then shuts off. Turntable doesn’t spin. When I set this turntable aside a few years ago, it would work, sometimes, but I don’t remember it being this stubborn.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
John

Tonearm belt slipping. Remove bottom cover and observe it from underneath.
I had the same thing and improvised replacement from a little elastic band .

^^^ if the fix is this simple, you are lucky. The XP-99 is closely related in internal design to the XR-Q9 and 11, and all three models are known for a failure of the computer controlled auto tonearm/cueing mechanism. Several lengthy threads here on the subject over the past 15 or so years. Good luck, and please post back here if the belt alone solves the problem.

Finally had a chance to work on the unit. The tone arm belt was definitely skipping so I replaced it with a rubber band that worked relatively well (still noticed a little slipping at times). At first I wasn’t sure it the TT was more confused or if I was. Initially noting seemed to work but after some flailing around, the turntable finally started rotating.

So on a couple of occasions it played to the end of the album and the tone arm retuned to home and the TT stopped. Was feeling pretty good at that point. But when starting from home, the turntable would start turning, tone arm would move to the first cut, but would not drop down. And after some time, the LED would start blinking faster and then turn off as the turntable would stop rotating. Repeatedly. Then it worked as it should. Now it doesn’t any more.

More tinkering and learning required. Maybe the tone arm belt is still slipping? Or is that wishful thinking?

Cheers,
John

Perhaps you have more than one issue.
Belt's job is to transfer motor's spin to gears and move tonearm to a position at the beginning of the record where switch is activated.
At that point motor stops and IC logic will activate mechanism that drops tonearm.
When record runs out end switch will send signal to raise tonearm.
After that motor starts again and moves it to starting position.

I would make sure this belt works reliably before going any further.

Belt's job is to transfer motor's spin to gears and move tonearm to a position at the beginning of the record where switch is activated.
At that point motor stops and IC logic will activate mechanism that drops tonearm.

Good advice!

Generally clean all the old grease off the worm gears and other moving parts replace with new. :)

The old black grease are deceptively gummy and sticky!

Also, rubber bands never work very well as a replacement for a belt. A belt doesn't stretch like a rubber band, the rubber band stretches under load, and then springs back, causing all manner of issues. I'd get a real belt on there before going too far... I've noticed Sansui stuff can be really critical about having the proper belt, and can give some weird symptoms when it's too tight, too loose, etc. If you have a local parts shop, take the old belt in and get them to match it with a new one. If not there's lots of online suppliers.

Most definitely more than one issue. Now it exhibits the same symptoms as in my first post. It’s like it’s stuck in a particular mode. The Start/Stop LED blinks slowly for a few seconds, then speeds up, then shuts off. All the while nothing else moves. Powering off and on doesn’t help. Can the logic circuitry be confused like I am?

Cheers,
John

This is what has confounded me with the XR-Q9 and 11 models. There are a number of sensors (micro switches, optical interruption sensors) that supply input signals to the CPU chip, and the program stored therein is supposed to act on these inputs, in turn controlling outputs to the cueing control and rotation of the tone arm. The CPU also controls starting and stopping of the turntable motor, in conjunction with whether the tone arm is cued to play position, or parked on the rest.

Obviously, the timing of these I/O and logic operations is critical, and the CPU will not perform normally in the absence of these signals when the timing is off, or the signals are absent entirely.

All of this presupposes that the CPU itself is functioning normally, and not defective in some way. The only way to establish the presence of the needed I/O signals is to use a a scope to check for them at their respective pins on the CPU chip - and if not present -then the sensors supplying such signals needs to be verified.

As Sansui's service data is rather cryptic (especially in outlining the finer points of these digital logic circuits) following the FSM isn't so easy. This just further complicates the matter of effective troubleshooting.

The XR-Q9 and 11 manuals also instruct the technician to refer to the manual for another model (FR-D5 if I recall) for the detailed basic troubleshooting, as it was apparently the first T/T to use this basic design, and only the enhancements added to the Q9 and 11 are fully covered in their respective manuals. The XP-99 was the successor to the XR-Q9, and I don't have that manual in my library so not certain what it does and doesn't cover.

Yeah, well I think I have a way out of this bad situation.
While my XP-99 currently occupies prime spot in a closet I also have a parts unit somewhere deeper in.
I bought it as parts unit already some years ago and I dont know which parts are good.
But I can take out tonearm mechanism and logic PCB and mail it to you to play with.
If it works out keep it gratis. Just PM me your address.

Sansuiman, you’d think that with the unit shut off that the logic circuits or COU would reset such that with a known state (tone arm on its rest and turntable motionless) it would behave appropriately when turned on, assuming that the sensors and motor were not faulty. What gets me is that this unit works, sometimes. But not usually.

Qsiris, thank you very much for your offer. PM incoming.

Cheers,
John

Also, rubber bands never work very well as a replacement for a belt. A belt doesn't stretch like a rubber band, the rubber band stretches under load, and then springs back, causing all manner of issues. I'd get a real belt on there before going too far... I've noticed Sansui stuff can be really critical about having the proper belt, and can give some weird symptoms when it's too tight, too loose, etc. If you have a local parts shop, take the old belt in and get them to match it with a new one. If not there's lots of online suppliers.

My old hand written note: square belt 2.6 inch.

I think I got mine belts at the local store, generic brand.

Vintage Electronics has two listing for Sansui turn tables. :)

Sansui XR-Q7 Tone Arm Belt
http://www.vintage-electronics.net/sansui-xr-q7-tone-arm-belt.aspx

SANSUI XR-Q11 TONE ARM BELT
http://www.vintage-electronics.net/sansui-xr-q11-tone-arm-belt.aspx

Sansuiman, you’d think that with the unit shut off that the logic circuits or COU would reset such that with a known state (tone arm on its rest and turntable motionless) it would behave appropriately when turned on, assuming that the sensors and motor were not faulty. What gets me is that this unit works, sometimes. But not usually.

Qsiris, thank you very much for your offer. PM incoming.

Cheers,
John

Yes, it should default to a known logic state at reset (power up) and it appears to do just that. The trouble only manifests when you hit the start/stop button to initiate playback of a record. The platter starts rotating at the selected speed, and then the computer LED on the control panel blinks as if it is "thinking", but nothing more happens - the tonearm rest fails to elevate, the tone arm doesn't rotate and it waits several seconds until the unit times out in an error state. At that point, the computer LED stops blinking and the platter stops rotating.

I should note here that the tonearm rest can be operated by applying voltage directly to the solenoid, so mechanically I've verified it's capable of working. It just never gets the drive voltage from the CPU at the correct point in the operating sequence. Likewise, the tonearm can be operated by hand from underneath (with unit housing open) so nothing is evidently seized or broken. Again, it just never gets going under CPU control.

What is unknown to me is whether this is a result of bad sensor(s), bad timing from otherwise working sensors (mechanical mis-adjustment of portions of the mechanism will result in sensors not reporting the expected state when required), belt and clutch slippage, a failure of the CPU itself, or some combination thereof.

As there is no integral diagnostic or test mode for the CPU, one can only verify the state of I/O pins at the CPU are showing the state expected at a given point in the cycle of operation. If one or more inputs is found to be absent, then either a faulty sensor or mis-timing is likely the cause. If all inputs are being supplied per design, and the needed outputs are not found in turn (through the use of scope) then one could surmise the CPU is faulty, as it is failing to follow through on the input data.

In the case of a faulty CPU chip, there is little to be done as the CPU is a proprietary part made for Sansui by NEC. Based on the part number, it is of a series of microcontrollers made by NEC, but programmed - likely with a mask ROM or OTP ROM - to implement the functionality required by the customer; in the case, Sansui.

I've fought with these models for years (Q9 and Q11, I own 6 of them in total) periodically putting them back on the bench hoping to have a break through or moment of clarity that would finally give me the clue I needed to get them working. But, there are always other projects of higher priority, so they get a few hours of attention once every couple of years now maybe, then go back into storage when I get frustrated again, as I can't stand to just junk them.

I really just need to commit to sitting down and plowing through an extensive troubleshooting session, going over each part of the circuit and mechanism until I find the weak link(s). I simply lack the time and motivation to deal with these complex beasts right now. Life gets complicated - more so than it was 15 years ago when I first tried to get these working - and so stuff like this has a way of getting pushed to the bottom of the priority list, never to re-emerge.

I've not found a tech willing to take them on either, despite trying a number of times. Lots of guys who'll do parts swaps, but no one with the troubleshooting chops who will babysit the thing until they find the root cause of the failure. Time is money and it looks like no one wants to get sucked into a hard case like this, when they can turn around normal repair work all week long.

Glad you got it working again. Interesting to note that the setup used in the XP-99 regarding the CPU and tonearm optical sensing is completely different from that of the XR-Q9 and 11 models. I've not had my XP-99 apart and had assumed (incorrectly as can now be seen) it used nearly the same parts as it's immediate predecessor models.

I suppose with all the trouble the XR-Q9 and 11 had, they did some redesign on the XP-99. Seems to have helped as I don't see many 99's around that aren't working.

Sorry for the delay but I'm finally able to find the time to post good news after success repairing my XP-99 a couple of months ago. Thanks for everyone's posts and special thanks to Qsiris for enabling me to swap out parts. I also messed up (more on that later) and he helped me sort things out. This is a great forum with folks like him that help others out. Thanks much to Osiris!

Original post was that the platter wouldn't spin and there was "intermittent" and confusing symptoms along the way.

The culprit was the board near the tonearm. Not sure if Sansuiman was referring to this when he wrote "...all three models are known for a failure of the computer controlled auto tonearm/cueing mechanism." but it was not the main CPU board as I had guessed. Here's a pic of the board in question.
upload_2019-6-23_12-21-23.jpeg

I mentioned having messed up. In my haste to swap in a working CPU board, I neglected to notice that one connector had 8 "receptors" but the ribbon cable going to it only has 7 wires. Which 7 are used?
upload_2019-6-23_12-21-52.jpeg

I had to reach out to Qsiris and he brought out his working unit to provide me with this...

upload_2019-6-23_12-22-17.jpeg

Everything has been working fine now and thanks for everyone's help.

Success!

upload_2019-6-23_12-22-45.jpeg

Cheers,
John

Back
Top Bottom