XR 290 at Audio Classics Today!

Talking to Steve at AC and these were shipped off to the owner of another pair of XR290s today for HT duty and was not me. Also chatted about his preference in pecking order of McIntosh Line Arrays. He was preferrential to XR290 first after hearing again, followed, by XRT2K second, and XRT2.1K a distant third. He thought 290 was slightly faster and smoother more balanced sound. The 2K is clearer but highs get a little too hot over time. 2.1K with smaller 8 inch woofers lose out in bass response but win in physical looks.

Thus reason XR290 is coming back up in price with huge dollars need for new offerings.

We also discussed IDS-25 he felt bass hold those back too.

Last edited:
Talking to Steve at AC and these were shipped off to the owner of another pair of XR290s today for HT duty....
Strange, that sounds like the same buyer that twiiii had described before AC listed them, for sale, for a millisecond. Maybe the guy passed, then reconsidered.
Screen Shot 2018-09-21 at 8.55.25 PM.png

2.1K with smaller 10 inch woofers lose out in bass response but win in physical looks.
I totally disagree with his assessment of the better looking speaker. XR290s all the way!!!

Audio Classics has a pair of XRT26 as well.

video.cgi

Ya I had to go over and listen to the 290 and the 26.It has been years since I listened to them.They are like seven feet tall and very wide. They sounded Awesome. The 26's in A smaller room driven by Different Amps sounded heavy in the mid Bass.There all great speakers.Just different Flavors.

Back
Top Bottom