Yaaay!

piece-it pete

What, me worry?
I got my 1152dc back from dr*audio last night, it had issues :( .

Now it doesn't :) .

As a matter of fact, it sounds GREAT. :banana:

When it started to hum on one channel (apparently something called "drivers" went south) I pulled it and inserted my Soundcraftsmen PCL800.

On this board I stated my surprise that, contrary to my previous experience, I liked the Soundcraftsmen better. So it is only fair that I now post my realisation that the Marantz was probably on the decline into non-working for a while and the sound was deteriorating with it. A duh moment.

Not really beng an audiophile as of yet I can't quite describe why I like the Marantz better, but I'll try: It's not as bright as the 800. I suspect it might be a little rolled off even, but man what clarity and realism. It also has more weight, or body, or something, a more full midrange? And a very solid low end.

Not to slam the 800, the highs are impressive and it is more powerful for sure, maybe one of the last real bargains in hifi. But I wanted to set the record straight.

I'm looking forward to my jam session tonight, for sure! :music:

Pete

Thanks guys! To elaborate, one of the driver transistors decided it didn't like being a transistor anymore. The "hum" was more like a whine, as it kept turning on and off very fast. I replaced all the drivers with OnSemi transistors.

When it started to hum on one channel (apparently something called "drivers" went south) I pulled it and inserted my Soundcraftsmen PCL800.

On this board I stated my surprise that, contrary to my previous experience, I liked the Soundcraftsmen better. So it is only fair that I now post my realisation that the Marantz was probably on the decline into non-working for a while and the sound was deteriorating with it. A duh moment.

Not really beng an audiophile as of yet I can't quite describe why I like the Marantz better, but I'll try: It's not as bright as the 800. I suspect it might be a little rolled off even, but man what clarity and realism. It also has more weight, or body, or something, a more full midrange? And a very solid low end.

Not to slam the 800, the highs are impressive and it is more powerful for sure, maybe one of the last real bargains in hifi. But I wanted to set the record straight.

I'm looking forward to my jam session tonight, for sure! :music:

Pete

I have a Marantz Model 500 and Soundcraftsman MA5002. I really like both amps... The 500 wins out over the MA5002....But the MA puts up al good fight...and at one Tenth the cost its a keeper.... Both were designed and manufactured in CA...in the 70s.

jk

Back
Top Bottom