Yahama CR-420 and Coke Disaster - Please Help

nightcat23

I have a yamaha cr-420. Had some guests over. You can probably see where this is heading. My *sshole cat decided he wanted to be pet and jumped onto the table. My guest, thinking ahead decided to move his can of coke onto the top of the receiver. Next thing you know, coke knocked into receiver by the cat. Stay calm and act as quick as possible. Unplugged it immediately and within 10 minutes had it open to assess the damage. Think I got really lucky. Now, I don't need anyone to lecture me on drinks and electronics, I know the risks. What is done is done. The idea here is to get the receiver back to how it was before this whole "cat incident". I totally forgot to ttake a photo to show the extent of the spill, but I found an image online, where I can at least highlight the areas where I saw some shiny-stickiness. By the time I got to it, most of it was dried, but I sopped up what i could with some paper towels. The area where the coke spilled was partially obscured by some cardboard, which probably stopped more coke entering the insides. From what I remember, that area with the thing metal "fins" are part of the FM tuning mechanism. That seems like a terrible place to get liquid into. That metal piece behind the tuning mechanism got coke on it too, and I assume inside. No clue if it made it under the PCB, but probably did. I saw some stickiness underneath a few of the resistors that I would not know how to clean either. Finally, there is some dried coke on the black piece in front of the tuning mechanism as well as on the back edge of the pcb where the antenna connectors are. So, I want to get this coke cleaned up and the receiver back into my system. Right now it is still sitting upside down. I figure the sooner I deal with it the better the chances are nothing will be wrecked. It is also worth noting the receiver was only plugged in when this happened. NOT ON. Coke can't be good sitting on electronics because of the sugar and acid. I am not an electrics expert or anything, but would it be best to get a professional to look at it and clean it up? Should I try doing what I can first? Probably water/alcohol would be best, but still not sure how I would get at some of the stuff, almost like the pcb needs to be soaked in some kind of cleaner. So, how bad is it? Is there a hope of getting him back into my system? I really have fallen in love with it's sound. Also, not sure if it makes a difference but it was never service, only contact cleaning done by me. I appreciate any help, and thank you. Here is the photo, I highlighted in green the areas where the coke went.

Thank you.

Attachments

• coke.jpg
    coke.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 73
Mop up what you can with isopropyl on a cotton bud.

Spray some electrical contact cleaner into those moving parts that got doused.

Mop up what you can with isopropyl on a cotton bud.

Spray some electrical contact cleaner into those moving parts that got doused.

That's it? Don't need to pay anyone to look at it or anything? Just worried about being certain that i got everything and it won't cause anything to short.

That's it? Don't need to pay anyone to look at it or anything? Just worried about being certain that i got everything and it won't cause anything to short
If it looks like the coke has dried - only leaving a residue, you will be cleaning up sugar esstentially (not liquid) - so remove what you can see.

Anything else that is inside or on components/moving parts can be removed with electrical contact cleaner - which will then evaporate.

I take it you didn't hear any crackling or popping before you powered off?

If you want to be really safe, I'd only power it up again thru a dim bulb tester - that will take the brunt of any short caused by the mishap.

I'm currently working on a huge german power amplifier where the owners cat had sicked up about 3 times into it, while it was running. It just kept going. You can trust zee Germans.....

If it looks like the coke has dried - only leaving a residue, you will be cleaning up sugar esstentially (not liquid) - so remove what you can see.

Anything else that is inside or on components/moving parts can be removed with electrical contact cleaner - which will then evaporate.

I take it you didn't hear any crackling or popping before you powered off?

If you want to be really safe, I'd only power it up again thru a dim bulb tester - that will take the brunt of any short caused by the mishap.

No crackling, I don't even think it was powered on, it was just connected to the outlet, nothing bad happened with my TT that was hooked up to unswitched, was worried about that too. Is this what you mean when you refer to a bulb tester? Some thing similar to a variac?
http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/dandy-dim-bulb-tester.223061/

Not sure if this is something I can fashion up, seems complicated but I doubt it is. Not an expert at electronics or anything, but would this protect the receiver from frying in any way? Or just to ensure the circuitry in your house gets damaged?

Anyways, I have f5 faderlube only I think. Should I pick up some of the D5 instead? I was always confused by this.

I'm currently working on a huge german power amplifier where the owners cat had sicked up about 3 times into it, while it was running. It just kept going. You can trust zee Germans.....

Seems like you've seen your fair share of cat mishaps, haha. Totally agree with you on that. This german and japanese stuff was built so well back in the day. How things have changed.

You should be able to remove the bottom panel on that receiver also. I would remove that panel and clean there also. I'm wondering if the circuit board cleaner wouldn't be the best option here. One other thing that could work also is just soapy water with dawn dish soap and a long bristled paint brush. Brush on soapy water then rinse with a clean brush and water only. Also using compressed air to help. Just a suggestion here. Just just make sure you do not power it up again till it's clean.

I left a McDonald's cup on a receiver once and it leaked through. Left a small drop on a pcb, when I turned it on "poof"

You should be able to remove the bottom panel on that receiver also. I would remove that panel and clean there also. I'm wondering if the circuit board cleaner wouldn't be the best option here. One other thing that could work also is just soapy water with dawn dish soap and a long bristled paint brush. Brush on soapy water then rinse with a clean brush and water only. Also using compressed air to help. Just a suggestion here. Just just make sure you do not power it up again till it's clean.

I left a McDonald's cup on a receiver once and it leaked through. Left a small drop on a pcb, when I turned it on "poof"

Circuit board cleaner? Is that like a spray, or something you soak the board in? I figure if it was off and didn't hear any pops or anything that i'm probably going to be fine. Just was thinking, if this was a modern receiver chances might be slimmer as they just don't make stuff as repairable anymore. I remember I failed at taking the panel off the bottom last time, maybe best to grab the service manual.

Circuit board cleaner? Is that like a spray, or something you soak the board in? I figure if it was off and didn't hear any pops or anything that i'm probably going to be fine. Just was thinking, if this was a modern receiver chances might be slimmer as they just don't make stuff as repairable anymore. I remember I failed at taking the panel off the bottom last time, maybe best to grab the service manual.

What I am thinking of is the spray that is used to literally clean a circuit board after it is made. Can't remember what it is called though.

I hope someone else can chime in and say what it is and if it is a good option.

The dawn dish soap is the option I would try if it was me. I have cleaned circuit boards this way before but not the tuner gangs. Still that is what I would try but it will be a tedious job and you want to let it set for probably 2 days before powering it up to insure it is dry.

Another thing is you will probably want to try to grease the bearings in the tuner after cleaning it. What to try for grease I do not know.

What I am thinking of is the spray that is used to literally clean a circuit board after it is made. Can't remember what it is called though.

I hope someone else can chime in and say what it is and if it is a good option.

The dawn dish soap is the option I would try if it was me. I have cleaned circuit boards this way before but not the tuner gangs. Still that is what I would try but it will be a tedious job and you want to let it set for probably 2 days before powering it up to insure it is dry.

Another thing is you will probably want to try to grease the bearings in the tuner after cleaning it. What to try for grease I do not know.

Seems like water/dawn and the contact cleaner should probably do a decent job together. Gonna pick up some d5 contact cleaner, which I will use on the tuner part as trying to get in there with a cloth will be a pain in the ass. Should I wipe with the soap/water first and then do the contact cleaner? Or the other way around. I figure the contact cleaner can catch whatever the water/soap missed. Should I really worry about it having to sit a few days before I do this? There might be a snowstorm tomorrow meaning I won't be able to get the contact cleaner till monday. I can do water/soap tommorow and then just wait to get the stuff, I dunno.

Seems like water/dawn and the contact cleaner should probably do a decent job together. Gonna pick up some d5 contact cleaner, which I will use on the tuner part as trying to get in there with a cloth will be a pain in the ass. Should I wipe with the soap/water first and then do the contact cleaner? Or the other way around. I figure the contact cleaner can catch whatever the water/soap missed. Should I really worry about it having to sit a few days before I do this? There might be a snowstorm tomorrow meaning I won't be able to get the contact cleaner till monday. I can do water/soap tommorow and then just wait to get the stuff, I dunno.

As you said in your first post it needs cleaned asap. I would use the soap first then the contact cleaner on the tuner. But like I said use a long bristled paint brush to clean with the soap not a cloth.

When your done cleaning let it set a few days to make sure it is dry.

As you said in your first post it needs cleaned asap. I would use the soap first then the contact cleaner on the tuner. But like I said use a long bristled paint brush to clean with the soap not a cloth.

When your done cleaning let it set a few days to make sure it is dry.

Alright, hopefully I can find a brush I can use tomorrow. Is some like this sufficient? I figure I should mix the stuff in a bowl and just dunk it, then do I just let it air dry? Kind of doubtful the bristles will do much but I will try as you suggested. Other than not getting into the small areas, is it dangerous to use a microfiber cloth to clean up the puddles (if any?). Another thing I thought about, what about alcohol? It will dry pretty fast, i'm kinda worried about residue, etc being left behind.

Alright, hopefully I can find a brush I can use tomorrow. Is some like this sufficient? I figure I should mix the stuff in a bowl and just dunk it, then do I just let it air dry? Kind of doubtful the bristles will do much but I will try as you suggested. Other than not getting into the small areas, is it dangerous to use a microfiber cloth to clean up the puddles (if any?). Another thing I thought about, what about alcohol? It will dry pretty fast, i'm kinda worried about residue, etc being left behind.

I'm saying mix the soap and water in a bowl then dip the brush in it and brush the board with the soapy water.

Then use clean water and dip a clean brush in the clean water and brush the board again to rinse it then use compressed air to help dry it.

It is a tedious task but works well. And yes you can use a cloth to soak up any puddles. The biggest thing is to not let puddles set for a long time on the board.

It's definitely not a good thing that coke got into the tuner cap but not the end of the world. I'd go with the dawn/water solution applied with a paint brush and then use some circuit board cleaner or even isopropyl in a spray bottle just to rinse everything clean. The circuit board cleaner mentioned above is pretty much just iso in an aerosol can but you can do the same much cheaper with it in a spray bottle.
Also removing the bottom cover to clean under there wouldn't be a bad idea either. The more sticky stuff you get rid of before it sets up hard, the better.

I've rebuilt amps that had caked on dried goo that had years to stick and gotten it nice and clean with some effort. Since you are taking care of this quickly I wouldn't worry so much.

Go down to Home Depot in the ELECTRICAL DEPT. Get a Can of CRC QD CONTACT CLEANER. IT's a NON-RESIDUE Contact Cleaner and used on Tuner Mechanism's for specifically that reason. DO NOT USE DeOxit on any part of the tuner except on the shaft bushings where the ground spring clips are, and then only using a toothpick. The CRC will wash off the Coke residue, and leave the tuner clean. Also is ok for spraying PCB's.

Next time serve Pepsi and get the Yammie out of the room before-hand. Will save on a lot of hair pulling and hopefully most of the friends are Coke fiends, and won't drink Pepsi. (Unlike Md. which is Pepsi Country. I can't even get a coke in a Hospital. Just Pepsico products.)

Don't blame the cat, he/she was just being a cat and was not trying to be an asshole. The real asshole is the idiot that put an open can of coke on a running receiver. Cleanup should be fairly easy but maybe a little time consuming, you got lucky!

Go down to Home Depot in the ELECTRICAL DEPT. Get a Can of CRC QD CONTACT CLEANER. IT's a NON-RESIDUE Contact Cleaner and used on Tuner Mechanism's for specifically that reason. DO NOT USE DeOxit on any part of the tuner except on the shaft bushings where the ground spring clips are, and then only using a toothpick. The CRC will wash off the Coke residue, and leave the tuner clean. Also is ok for spraying PCB's.

Next time serve Pepsi and get the Yammie out of the room before-hand. Will save on a lot of hair pulling and hopefully most of the friends are Coke fiends, and won't drink Pepsi. (Unlike Md. which is Pepsi Country. I can't even get a coke in a Hospital. Just Pepsico products.)

They sell that stuff up here in canada, but not in store. I would have to order it online which is fine, but it won't get here till tuesday/wednesday. I'm wondering if i can just get away with using alcohol in a spray bottle? I have 99% iso alcohol, but even then I am not sure if that would leave a residue behind (i figure no, but I don't know). I'm just concerned letting it sit that long with coke residue. And there is a simple solution, just keep the coke a distance from the electronics, and all will be fine.

Unfortunately these places all have the product back-ordered. Meaning I wouldn't be able to get until the 16-20th of november. There's gotta be another way of doing this.

Last edited:
I get the CRC at TruValue. I think it's at Ace Hardware also if you have any of those stores in your area. It's a red can IIRC

Back
Top Bottom