Yamaha 90's stuff, worth It?

Turnip

So im pretty new to hifi and I've been offered a 90's Yamaha Radio (TX-480L), CD player (CDX-480) amp (AX-380) and a Technics Sl-B210 Turntable. Most of which I can't find a lot about other than they were sort of entry level in the early 90's. He wants £90 for it all currently but I reckon can haggle a bit down.

I'm in need of a half decent sounding system for as cheap as possible which plays CDs and vinyl records, so this sounds like a good starting point which I can build on since I currently have nothing (all-in-one system recently broke down).

Would you reckomend this?

I haven't heard any Yamaha stuff that I didn't like. It's typically very neutral sounding.
I'd recommend them for sure.

Thanks guys, reckon I'll go check it out. Still getting used to what brands had good reputations and when.

Yamaha builds great gear. the AX-380 @ 55wpc is a good amp. Its not junk if that is what you are asking.

Kind Regards,
John

That looks like a fine system to me if it is in good working order. You might want to check the TT cartridge stylus and belt if it has one for wear. IMO it is far more than a starter system. Mated to a decent pair of speakers it could easily be a keeper. You could of course make substitutions later, But unless you plan on spending some serous coin, You will most likely just be moving sideways. I do like remote control, I don't know if the Yamaha system has that. But both my cable box and smartphone have remote volume. The DAC offered on some new amps is convenient since my Blue ray disc player and TV only have digital out. That can easily be corrected with the cheap, tiny ($50) external DAC I purchased for use with my vintage Realistic receiver that does a perfectly acceptable job for that.

Last edited:
Yamaha gear is for the most part what I settled on after all these years.I too have never met a Yamaha I didn't like.

Yamaha sound can be an acquired taste.Once I acquired it there was no going back.I have or had Yamaha gear from the 70s,80s and 2000s and it was all very good.

So the guy stopped replying all of a sudden when I was going to go and pick it up last night. Is this still worth a shot? Total it's currently on like £35 on bids, but it's sold as untested over bidding. Is it worth a risk?

He says it was working before he stored it away but he has no speakers to test it and now I can't get to him before the auction ends to test before buying.

So the guy stopped replying all of a sudden when I was going to go and pick it up last night. Is this still worth a shot? Total it's currently on like £35 on bids, but it's sold as untested over bidding. Is it worth a risk?

He says it was working before he stored it away but he has no speakers to test it and now I can't get to him before the auction ends to test before buying.

Bring a speaker.

edit: Didn't read correctly. I woulnd't chance it if bids go higher than 100.

Bring a speaker.

edit: Didn't read correctly. I woulnd't chance it if bids go higher than 100.
At the moment there's 1 bid on the main system at £20 and the turntable has none (but starting at £12.50. I guess it's all down to how much money I'd be willing to lose. Just the way he stopped contacting me on the day I was due to go over there and said I'd test with my speakers has me a little concerned, but it just feels like such a good deal if it works. I think £30 is worth a shot, even if only parts of it work it wouldn't be a bad deal and sell the rest for spares.

What are the chances that storage would have damaged this? He doesn't give any info on how it was stored or exactly how long for.

If the protection relay closes after a few seconds, chances are it will be ok. Might need a spritz of deoxit but I'd think it should be good otherwise. Storing it in a safe, dry location shouldn't have hurt it in any way.

The only issues I have seen on the "black face" Yammy gear that I have come across is that, for some reason, the digital dial read outs on many of the receivers seem to burn out. That may be a real phenomenon or just bad luck on my part.

Meh take a ride over there. What's the worse that can happen? Mitchell from Being Human is on a binge and eats you? That's highly unlikely.

If the protection relay closes after a few seconds, chances are it will be ok. Might need a spritz of deoxit but I'd think it should be good otherwise. Storing it in a safe, dry location shouldn't have hurt it in any way.
If it has a Alps type volume control which I bet it does, Do Not Spray Anything into it. It's a film pot and I ruined a perfectly good volume pot on a Yamaha I was doing some preventive maintenance on.

You'll all be happy to know I bought it. It all works well except the amp, which is ok because he just gave me another one which is better than the one I was buying in the first place. So went pretty well.
Now just need some decent speakers and somewhere to put the thing.

Attachments

• 20170723_104817.jpg
    20170723_104817.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20170723_104825.jpg
    20170723_104825.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 52
Back
Top Bottom