Yamaha A-1 refurb recap re-relay and repost (binding)

Did you check the Emitter resistors? Have you checked the outputs for shorts?

You have too much current running through them if they're smoking. So what's causing the over current? Likely a shorted transistor. Schem is definitely needed to further diagnose.

could be a transistor shorted

The amp was working,only problem was that when the dc button was engaged,there was no sound. so to try to fix this ,I flipped it over and did some resoldering on some bad solder joints on the sa913 and sc1913 transistors and a few more circuits in that area .After that, the 2- 330 resistors started smoking.

The amp was working,only problem was that when the dc button was engaged,there was no sound. so to try to fix this ,I flipped it over and did some resoldering on some bad solder joints on the sa913 and sc1913 transistors and a few more circuits in that area .After that, the 2- 330 resistors started smoking.

Ahh, the old, "it was working before I touched it and I guess I should have asked around first before jacking with it" problem. :scratch2:

The Disc button? That's Phono-output with no tone control in the circuit. It was working the way God and Yamaha intended.

You've probably shorted those power regulator transistors that have nothing to do with the Disc function or soldered a bridge between the legs.

You would do well to heed the big warning silk-screened on the bottom and DISCHARGE the filter caps before working on it. Use a couple 2-3 watt 1K Ohm resistors shunted to ground to drain them until the voltage across either reads less than 500mV.

The Owner's Manual is easy to find. Just look in the Yamaha forum "Yamaha literature" sticky here.

hindsight is 20/20 at best

i will never touch a amplifier ever again until after I drain the main caps. i wish I could go back in time and change that. It is expensive to learn by trial and error.

We all learn through our mistakes. I'm still making enough of them that I should be the smartest f**ker on earth, but I'm not.

hey guys.

Just a note that I'm using cdfac's A-1 in my living room setup, and loving it.

Yeah, still need to fix that speaker lamp though.....

amp results

Well today I received my parts and amp turns on,even disc light works. No relay, so I will learn to adjust dc.

Yeah, still need to fix that speaker lamp though.....

must be something with the connection, give it a look. i'm sure i probably did something silly when i did the replacement. it flaked out on me a couple times here but always came back on its own or with a well-placed tap. glad your still enjoying the amp, though! i miss it, especially for the convenience of one power button and the small chassis.

Just picked up another A-1 at a very reasonable price.:thmbsp:probably just a dirty relay..

Last edited:
Thanks Dave.

While the product info lists 5A rated load for the Omron, looking briefly at the datasheets for both, which of course don't necessarily relate, it appears the max switching current for either is 7A - I suppose that's inrush? Other than availability, do you see any significant advantage of one over the other?

Last edited:
Thanks Dave.

While the product info lists 5A for the Omron, looking briefly at the datasheets for both, which of course don't necessarily relate, it appears the max switching current for either is 7A. Other than availability, do you see any significant advantage of one over the other?

No..I've used both. Just so happens there both available now. Usually thats not the case. And ya gotta use what ya can get.:thmbsp:

I just got hold of an A1 at a decent price and I've been playing with it for about an hour, checking all the inputs etc and I must say it's an impressive amp. I have repeatedly 'forgotten' about the testing and have just sat there listening to the music.

It's short one tape input - I usually wire up tape 2 for an ipod connection. The speaker bulb is out as well - will need to figure out how to change that. Other than that I see no need to even open it up right now - everything seems to be working as it should :).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom