Yamaha A-1

Guys i can not tell you how much i appreciate the responses. so I am comfortable behind a soldering station and i know a thing or two about electronics (im a physics grad student) but i have to admit when i was reading the posts in the yamaha section i did not understand a lot of the things about the circuitry that ya'll were talking about. like i wouldn't know where relay switches are just by looking i have to have a red arrow pointing at them but if i have datasheet and manuals I can figure them out and thats what i do every day in my research team. will need help even with the cleaning part as i dont know what tools and ingredients i should buy. I will watch a lot of yotube videos and will have a lot of questions. I also bought another amp tp practice with but im not sure that it wil actually end up being much simpler. it is a CA-2010.

Last edited:
I also bought another amp tp practice with but im not sure that it wil actually end up being much simpler. it is a CA-2010.
The CA-2010 is a big/heavy beast. It's a reasonably straight forward rebuild, I wouldn't say easy but not difficult. But if you are systematic and careful then
it will be ok. Service manual freely available on hifiengine. Plenty of good threads on rebuilds (Mr Yamaha and slimecity...) Note the CA-2010 and CA-2000
are the same. Plenty of people to support should you have questions and a nice sounding amp at the end of it...

You may like the CA-2010 better than the A-1...
I have no idea what to expect sound wise. all my experience is with modern SS and tube. Ayre, Cambridge audio, job, nuprime. nuforce, and modern KT88 and EL34

Last edited:
My A-1 came very poorly packed with no padding. completely destroyed in transit, the innards were moving about freely. I plugged it in and it sparked and smoked. the seller claimed near mint and functioning properly. I asked for a refund through ebay. heartbreaking to see this classic amp destroyed because the moronic seller cheaped out on packing peanuts and bubble wrap. I dont think that there ia any hope for this thing now. it is destroyed.

btw it did serve as a reminder how utterly awful speaker binding posts are on these yamahas. the worst. flimsy and hard to fasten. I will definitely need to replace them if and when i get another one (I might try my luck one more time soon actually. )

Last edited:
Anyone able to advise on the likely culprit component(s) for an A1 that powers on and works up to a certain volume then safety cut out comes in?

Hi Clinic-Audio, thanks for following up.
I think it’s the relay that cuts out the power.
Reason I’m unsure is that I’ve been offered the amp. I’m very tempted. As a model would you put it in the category of ‘superb’?
And can most of the electronic components be readily obtained?

Back
Top Bottom