Yamaha A 700 vs CA 810

jollyjesus

Hi guys,

I recently saw a Yamaha CA 810 in a shop next to where I live and immediately fell in love. On top of that, they are selling it for just 120€ (a price that I can easily bargain).
My question is, would it make a great deal in term of improving the quality of my sound, considering that I already own a Yamaha A 700? if so, the iprovement justifies the expenditure?

I own a recapped CA-810 and it is a truly great sounding amplifier with an exceptional phono stage. I've owned quite a few Yamaha amplifiers and receivers and it remains my favorite. I haven't heard the A-700 but given it was near the top of the line for its time I'm guessing it sounds at least as good as the CA-810.

I suspect trading the two would be a lateral move sonically at best and perhaps a downgrade since the CA-810 most likely needs some refurbishment given its age. I'm not sure what your local market is like but 120 Euros translated to dollars would be a bargain here in the US. Working but unrestored CA-810s typically fetch $250 or more here.

In my opinion...it all depends. And what does it depend on...it's the condition of each unit. Fully restored, I don't think one is greatly superior sonically to the other. However I'd give the nod to the CA-810 - to my eye it looks nicer, and it's built to a higher build spec. If you like to play records, it has nice flexibility with two phono inputs, and it supports MC cartridges as well (as does the A-700, I believe). For the price you mention I'd grab it, you can always resell it if you don't like it.

I've owned several CR-8xx receivers, and also the A700 and A1000. Personally, I prefer the sound of the A series amps, but their sound is still much more like the receivers than it is different. Having rebuilt both series, I didn't see that the CR's were built to a higher spec...but I am certainly no expert on amplifier design.

Last edited:
I too prefer the sound of the A series amps (the A-1000 is a real standout in the Yamaha lineup when it comes to sound quality, and the A-700 has plenty in common) but the CA gear sounds good too.

As mentioned above, a full restoration makes an audible difference on 70s/80s amps - so unless both have been restored, their state of repair probably has more impact than the amp topology.

At that price though, you can probably just buy it, then if you don't like it either keep it for a spare system or sell it on for more.

Back
Top Bottom