Yamaha A-960 Question

yamahafanatc

So I have been looking into this model and came across something interesting.
On the back of these integrated amps (as seen in pictures) it says A or B 8-16 ohm impedance A + B min. 16 ohm impedance. However the manual as seen on hifiengine.com states A or B can be as low as 4 ohms and A + B should not be lower than 8 ohms. Using 2 pairs of 4 ohms speaker simultaneously is not recommended.

So which do you guys think it is, 4 ohm with just one pair and 8 ohms with both, or 8 ohms with one pair and 16 with both.
It makes a huge difference for me when it comes to flexibility in my system. If 8 ohms with one pair is the minimum that severely limits my speaker options. Many speakers I am interested in are 6 ohm. Let me know which one you think is right and hopefully we can come up with some conclusive evidence so I know for sure. Thanks in advance!

I would imagine that you could run 4 ohm on there as long as the manual says you can.
The back panel picture you saw may have been for a different market than the manual. I think it was my PC2602 where they listed an 8 and 4 ohm rating but said "only use 8 ohm speakers in Canada" or something like that. They must have a different rating system for pro amps or that amp or who knows.

I would imagine that you could run 4 ohm on there as long as the manual says you can.
The back panel picture you saw may have been for a different market than the manual. I think it was my PC2602 where they listed an 8 and 4 ohm rating but said "only use 8 ohm speakers in Canada" or something like that. They must have a different rating system for pro amps or that amp or who knows.
So you think that I would be fine (in the US) to use 4 and 8 ohm speakers?

The wierdest part of this is that in the manual (manual download on hifiengine) you can read about 2 pairs of 8 ohm and 1 pair of 4 ohm and in the picture below the text it shows the panel with 8-16 ohm written on it. FROM THE ORIGINAL MANUAL!
figure that out:dunno:

I have wondered the same thing with the Yamaha's, l have noticed Sansui did the same thing in the late 70's. As OMGCat mentioned l believe it depends on the market.

Personally l have ran 4 ohm speakers with many Yamaha amps form the 80's and thy are fine, l never push them hard though.

Back
Top Bottom