Yamaha A-S2100 Integrated Amplifier Review

Awesome testimony for the Yamaha Intergrated I’ve been eyeing the 701 model for a while now. Wish i could justify the price on the 2000 way beyond my shallow pockets.

Nearly five years on from its debut and the big Yammy still grabs my imagination and has me wondering if it can really compete with a decent tube amp - in terms of delivering that (tube) sound of spaciousness and dimensionality.

Has anyone here graduated from a tube power amp to the YAMAHA-S2100?

And another question I have for the retro-styled YAMAHA A-S2100 is...
Where is my MONO/STEREO switch?

I've looked though the promotional pics, but I can't seem to find one. Damned shame.

Last edited:
Nearly five years on from its debut and the big Yammy still grabs my imagination and has me wondering if it can really compete with a decent tube amp - in terms of delivering that (tube) sound of spaciousness and dimensionality.

Has anyone here graduated from a tube power amp to the YAMAHA-S2100?

And another question I have for the retro-styled YAMAHA A-S2100 is...
Where is my MONO/STEREO switch?

I've looked though the promotional pics, but I can't seem to find one. Damned shame.
No stereo/mono switch, unfortunately. Also, like most preamps/integrated amp these days, no traditional tape loop. Having no tape loop kind of stinks (for EQ).

Overall, it's been a great unit in terms of sound quality, build quality and reliability. It really has plenty of reserve power too. Behaves more like a 200W amplifier.

[QUOTE="Overall, it's been a great unit in terms of sound quality, build quality and reliability. It really has plenty of reserve power too. Behaves more like a 200W amplifier.[/QUOTE]

@OnTheBlitz
Many thanks for the positive feedback.
Yes the big Yammy is quite a beast!
Which amp did you move to the A-S2100 from?
Can you provide any comparisons or insights around A-S2100 v other comparable tube amps that you've used in your system?

@OnTheBlitz
Many thanks for the positive feedback.
Yes the big Yammy is quite a beast!
Which amp did you move to the A-S2100 from?
Can you provide any comparisons or insights around A-S2100 v other comparable tube amps that you've used in your system?
Previously I had other (this was several years before) Yamaha Preamps & Amps. They were CX-1000 Preamp & M85 power amps.

Although my current system isn't nearly as "big & powerful" as the previous system (there were 6 M85's bridged), I'm very impressed with the 2100's detail.

I've never owned or compared the 2100 to any tube equipment, so I really can't comment on that.

The Yamaha A-S2100 (purchased in May 2015) is for lack of better words, Totally Awesome!! The Bass is tight, clean and powerful. Mids and Highs are smooth as silk. The Soundstage is Deep and Wide. No need for separates with this BEAST! I also own the Yamaha A-S2000 (it has conventional Transistors not MOSFETS) which I purchased in May of 2014. This unit is also exceptional. Bass is comparable to the A-S2100. However, when it comes to the Mids, Highs and Soundstage, this is where the A-S2100 really excels over the A-S2000, and significantly! I would attribute this to the fact that the A-S2100 is using MOSFETS (same as the flagship A-S3000) and has also carried over other attributes from the A-S3000. I have the Polk LSIM-707 Speakers and I'm now bi-amping my system: using the new A-S2100 for Mids & Highs and the A-S2000 to drive the bass. The perfomance is unbelievable! Additionally, the VU meters and high gloss real wood sides of the A-S2100 are "icing on the cake"
UPDATED 7/6/16: After owning the Yamaha A-S2100 for a year now, I'm still amazed at the perfermance of this integrated Amplifier. It is an absolute Gem! Furthermore, after reviewing the schematics of the A-S2100 V.S the Flagship A-S3000, there is virtually little difference in the two units. The differences are: the A-S3000 has larger meters, toroidal transformer, additional copper shielding and EDIT: 1 set of additional balanced line inputs. Unless you have money to burn, my recommendation is the A-S2100 as there will be little or no sound perfermance improvement between the Flagship A-S3000 and A-S2100.

Pros: Flawless Sound. Exceptional Build Quality.

UPDATED 7/6/16: Excellent Sound quality! Top notch build quality! Ultra Smooth and detailed Highs, precise mids, deep tight bass and spectacular wide and deep soundfield!

Cons: No tape loop for EQ.

UPDATED 7/6/16: None. I've solved the lack of a tape loop for EQ.
View attachment 797835
View attachment 797836
View attachment 797837

Update: 10/07/2016 Owners Manual and Service Manual are now on the Digital Docs site.

Cheers,
OnTheBlitz

I just read your review on this 2100 and I'm getting a bit interested to try it. I do have a Yamaha setup right now with a MX-1 & CX-1 amplifier set and it sounds wonderful and powerful on my B&W 703 speakers specially the phono stage with a Denon DL-301ii cartridge. Have you ever compared one of the new models like 2100 to some of the older series like my MX/CX1 set? I love my set and don't want another sound like more midrange/presence

I just read your review on this 2100 and I'm getting a bit interested to try it. I do have a Yamaha setup right now with a MX-1 & CX-1 amplifier set and it sounds wonderful and powerful on my B&W 703 speakers specially the phono stage with a Denon DL-301ii cartridge. Have you ever compared one of the new models like 2100 to some of the older series like my MX/CX1 set? I love my set and don't want another sound like more midrange/presence
I've haven't done a direct side-by-side comparison with the units you have. Those are nice units, MX1/CX1. Your amp has more power too. That might be a step backwards for you....

I've haven't done a direct side-by-side comparison with the units you have. Those are nice units, MX1/CX1. Your amp has more power too. That might be a step backwards for you....

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I think your right and I love the sound so actually no need to change it

Back
Top Bottom