Yamaha a-s2100 vs cr-1020

Grbluen

The A-S2100 has caught my eye. Do you there is really anything to be gained, or is this more of a sideways move?

Thanks,
Don

Without hearing them side by side with the same gear & cables, it's impossible to tell. I owned a CR 1020 for >20 yrs. IMO, it's not for noobs to DIY.

I would expect the As2100 to smoke the cr1020. But that is my swag based on related gear I have heard.

The as2100 vs ca2010 would be a better fight, but I would still expect the new one to win.

I would expect the As2100 to smoke the cr1020. But that is my swag based on related gear I have heard.

The as2100 vs ca2010 would be a better fight, but I would still expect the new one to win.

There was a review on this pair somewhere that I cannot currently recall.

The A-S2100 has caught my eye. Do you there is really anything to be gained, or is this more of a sideways move?

Thanks,
Don
I'm sure that the A-S2100 will be noticeably better sounding than the CR-1020. With all due respect to Yamaha receivers (I have a CR-2040 & a refurbished CR-3020) Yamaha integrated amps sound better than Yamaha receivers. A refurbished CA-2010 would be more or less the equal of the A-S2100.

"Smoke"
One of the truly descriptive events used by audiophiles lacking in any sense of which way is up. "Blew out of the water" is further audiophile speak.

I grew up around sports freaks, which is where I learned these terms. Granted, single words rarely provide great depths of description.

"Smoke"
One of the truly descriptive events used by audiophiles lacking in any sense of which way is up. "Blew out of the water" is further audiophile speak.
Not sure where you're going with this. Both expressions mean one is significantly better than the other.

"Smoke"

Smoke often travels up. Except in space/micro-gravity. These aren't "audiophile speak" terms. These are normal "Americana" speak. "Blew it's doors off" is another one. And that ain't refering to "The Doors" btw. People enjoy them. Relax.

I have no direct personal reference to the 2 amps in the title, but what experience with Yamaha's that I do have agrees with Mark B. I believe that Yami integrateds sound better than receivers. Separates sound even better. This is a purely subjective, personal opinion.

Cheers,
James

Have not listened to the AS2100 or any other AS for that matter. Hard to believe that Yamaha has not learnt/progressed
from the CA days but at AUD4000 (RRP) it's not going to happen. I can have a totally refurbished (diy) CA-2010 for
about AUD800. The next step would be refurbished separates(C-2...? C-4?, M?), maybe AUD1500-.

A refurbished CA-2010 would be more or less the equal of the A-S2100.
Now that would be a meaningful comparison.

OK, here's the deal. When someone posts something you think is offensive try this. We have moderators here whose job it is to handle these things. When you reply it starts a snowball effect and some of us have slow internet so it takes a long time to clean the crap. Not to mention killing the joy we find in being on AK. There are features like the ignore button better yet try a little self restraint. Thank you

OK, here's the deal. When someone posts something you think is offensive try this. We have moderators here whose job it is to handle these things. When you reply it starts a snowball effect and some of us have slow internet so it takes a long time to clean the crap. Not to mention killing the joy we find in being on AK. There are features like the ignore button better yet try a little self restraint. Thank you
In addition, repeated violations snip little bits off of the fuse, so to speak, making it less likely that an individual will enjoy leniency.

At this point, I would usually say, "Just a word to the wise", but in this case, I am not certain that moniker applies.

Well done, now back to your regular programing!
Regards,
Jim

I used to have a an almost mint condition ca2010 and sold it on eBay for about 600. I feel regret I did it. It does have classical Yamaha sound, clean natural sound.

I just sold my recapped CA-1010. It sounded very similar to AS-501. I prefer CR-1000 to both of them. I suppose I would prefer CR-1000 to AS-2100 too.
Why? They say AS-2100 sounds close to CA-2010 which is very close to CA-1010. Simple logic :)

I just sold my recapped CA-1010. It sounded very similar to AS-501. They say AS-2100 sounds close to CA-2010 which is very close to CA-1010. Simple logic :)

Since I did direct comparisons of my CA integrateds to my A-S integrateds I tend to agree with this logic. I found them to be nearly identical. A-S' a bit more forward in the midrange, otherwise identical. The real difference I found was the CA-1010's ease with which it pushes the speakers. It seems underrated power wise; especially considering the A-S500/501 is rated 85wpc @ 8ohms and the CA-1010 90wpc @ 8ohms.

Back
Top Bottom