AllForMusic

Hey All,

I was hoping that someone would be able to shine a light on this question: Can I use the Yamaha A-S2100 with my Quad ESL-63 speakers?

After countless hours of research, I came to the conclusion the A-S2100 was going to be my upgrade in amplification. Then I came across this review from Australia Hi-Fi magazine by Greg Borrowman on the A-S3000 (which from my understanding has the same amplification architecture as the A-S2100 and A-S1100 respectively). He states:

"The speaker connectors are particularly good. However, you will need to remember that because the output is balanced, the negative (–) speaker terminal is not at ground potential, so you should not try to connect the speaker terminals to anything other than a standard pair of speakers (that is, don’t connect the amplifier to electrostatic speakers or to a powered subwoofer)."

This of course created concern and if I'm honest a bit of a disappointment as it has taken me a very long time to get to this point of deciding what amplifier I wanted to upgrade with.

If any one has direct experience with this and can shed some light on it, I would be most grateful.

Many thank in advance,
AllForMusic

Hello
on ESL63 the minus (speaker - terminal) is connected to ground
A-S2100 is not a good choice at all if you want to use it with your ESL63.
Protection pcb on ESL63 connect the + and - together to preserve the speaker . Many amplifiers do not like this !

Back
Top Bottom