Yamaha A-S3000 VS Luxman 505ux

jetstream

Hello folks,

I’m eying the amps from the title and would like to hear your thoughts / experiences on which one would be a better choice since both cost about the same. Also, I’d ask if someone could share a user manual for the Luxman 505ux, can’t find it anywhere. Thanks.

Yamaha A-S3000
Luxman 505ux

C2AD75A5248E4866B24E7B8EE206F6E5_12073.jpg

lux00002_20130729123500_4.jpg

http://www.luxman.com/product.php?pid=2

tough call but I am just partial to yamaha. Plus it is bigger :rolleyes:

I can vouch for the Luxman's previous model, the L-505u. An extremely solid piece of gear that sounds just excellent. I've read that the x version has an improved phono stage, and improved volume control. Haven't heard the Yamaha.

My guess would be the Lux. The yamahas have received some mixed reviews.

- Woody

I like the monitor function on the Lux, absent on the Yamaha, but got a bit disappointed with the omission of subsonic and mono functions in comparison to the previous model 505u. That would've make pretty versatile phono stage, don't understand why Lux sacrificed those features, also why Yamaha and other manufacturers don't include them in their integrates.

I like the monitor function on the Lux, absent on the Yamaha, but got a bit disappointed with the omission of subsonic and mono functions in comparison to the previous model 505u. That would've make pretty versatile phono stage, don't understand why Lux sacrificed those features, also why Yamaha and other manufacturers don't include them in their integrates.
Actually, according to the U.S. Distributors website, it does have the subsonic filter and mono function. They are accessed through the remote.

Unfortunately the buttons on the remote are not active and are there because it's the same remote with 507ux, which has these functions. It's clearly stated in the user manual - "This switch is not operated in L-505uX ".

Unfortunately the buttons on the remote are not active and are there because it's the same remote with 507ux, which has these functions. It's clearly stated in the user manual - "This switch is not operated in L-505uX ".
You are correct. The distributor needs to clean up their info.

Absolutely! I'd expect a sharp and precise info with zero guessing when in the market for a high-end product like this. Must say part of the criticism goes to Luxman for the incomplete info on their global site, the low-res photos and manuals unavailability.

Damn, I thought I found the (almost) fully featured old-school integrated amp.

Absolutely! I'd expect a sharp and precise info with zero guessing when in the market for a high-end product like this. Must say part of the criticism goes to Luxman for the incomplete info on their global site, the low-res photos and manuals unavailability.

Damn, I thought I found the (almost) fully featured old-school integrated amp.

I have had my eye on the L-550ax. It has the full feature phono stage. I have Yamaha NS-1000m speakers and I hear Class A amplification really makes them sing.

I have had my eye on the L-550ax. It has the full feature phono stage. I have Yamaha NS-1000m speakers and I hear Class A amplification really makes them sing.
I'm kinda put off by those 20watts, but I could be wrong. Wonder how would 550ax or 505ux match with the new JBL 4319 or 4312:idea:
IMG_0707.jpg

I'm kinda put off by those 20watts, but I could be wrong. Wonder how would 550ax or 505ux match with the new JBL 4319 or 4312:idea:
IMG_0707.jpg

NIce! what is the efficiency? From what I have read, the 550 is good with anything 90 db 1w1m or better. Word is it is a stout 20 wpc as well.

edit: Answered my own question. 4319's are 92 db. Would probably make some sweet music with the L-550ax

Last edited:
About Lux 550ax...If used only as a preamp:
1. Would it run hot as usual?
2. Do the meters work in such use?
3. Which power amp would you recommend for pairing if the goal is achieving more power but with equal or better sound characteristics.
Let's say the speakers are the mentioned JBL 4319.

About Lux 550ax...If used only as a preamp:
1. Would it run hot as usual?
2. Do the meters work in such use?
3. Which power amp would you recommend for pairing if the goal is achieving more power but with equal or better sound characteristics.
Let's say the speakers are the mentioned JBL 4319.
Just my thoughts.
The appeal of the L-550ax is the pure class A power amp. Not sure why you would want to only use the preamp
It would run just as hot because in class A, the transistors are on all the time.

Don't know about the meters.

If you are looking for class A with additional power when needed, have a look at the Vincent sv-237
It's another one I am considering. First 10 watts are class A but amp is 150wpc

Back
Top Bottom