Yamaha A-S500 reviews ?

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by version2, Apr 16, 2015.

1. version2

version2 New Member

I've heard the yamaha a-s500 is a solid amp for those with champagne taste on a beer budget. How would AK members rate it, compared to other amps in this price category?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TJLitt

TJLitt Super Member

A few pertinent threads if you search in Modern Day Hi Fi.......suffice it to say, I find the thing to be BEYOND a bargain. I was searching for a mid power SS integrated and had up to $1200 to spend. Bought the AS500 as it bested anything else I listened to(about 14 amps), both SS and Hybrids.
    I have it running a pair of GoldenEar Triton 2's with both ease and style. I'm sure if I wanted to plunk down $2000 or more, I could best it noticeably, but to say it is satisfying is a vast understatement.

3. boza

boza Super Member

Same as Tjlitt i was looking for a while for a new amp listen to everything i could. Had £550 and couldnt find anything that could better it. In my system. Awesom bit of kit for the money dosnt put a foot wrong. I put an iec power socket on with a good power cable its an amp thats hard to beet for the price. :)

4. SuperLead100

SuperLead100 "These go to 11"

It is a fantastic sounding amp; and with the introduction of the a-s501 (the next generation of the 500), you can find these for even a little less money. I really love mine:thmbsp:

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. Twiddler

Twiddler Member

How does it compare to vintage Yamahas? 810, 1010, etc

6. OMGCat!

OMGCat! AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have only heard the 501 but it definitely sounded like a Yamaha to me. Very clean and, well, natural. I'd say the thing is punching far, far above it's price tag.
    I was all about to buy one when I ended up with my C-80, M-60 separates. I love these but would be just as happy with one of the AS receivers.

EDIT to add: The knobs are actually nice to turn unlike lots of modern gear. Not sure if that matters to you but I like knobs that feel substantial. I also read you can replace any plastic knobs of the lower AS lines with the aluminum ones of the more expensive units. Not sure if it's true but I would go aluminum all the way.

7. SuperLead100

Well, having done a direct comparison between the a-s500 and ca1010, I'd have to say they are very close. For what it's worth, I think the a-s500 is slightly better. It is a bit more detailed with very forward mids. A recap on the 1010 could make a difference; however, I have a avionic recapped ca800 that still doesn't quite beat out the a-s500. It sounds great but to my ears there is just something about the a-s500 that gives it that slight edge.

If I didn't have those amps to do a direct comparison it would be exceedingly difficult to tell the difference. The key here is the Yamaha's are all very consistent soundwise; which I find remarkable considering their age difference.

8. c-atle-79bay

c-atle-79bay Super Member

What kind of amps are these? How much difference between the 3xx/5xx/7xx? Seems like it might be worth trying out.

9. version2

version2 New Member

That sounds like good info. I can't find a retail vendor near me so i can't listen before i buy. Would any ak people buy over the net that way? Also i prefer the silver version, but i'm in the usa and they only want to sell me black case. If i buy from europe or japan to get the silver case the price doubles?

10. c-atle-79bay

Crutchfield has $10 return shipping and free out shipping.

11. SuperLead100

These are integrated amps. I think the main difference between the 301, 501, and 701 is wattage; I believe the the 801 has some additional features I'm not sure of off the top of my head. The x01 series has a built in dac and coaxial and optical inputs in addition to the standard inputs.
    There is a great deal of info on line.

12. SuperLead100

I bought my a-s500 from Onecall over the net. Many reputable on line dealers will allow you a trial period to see if you like it; the x01 series is available in silver in the US.

13. c-atle-79bay

Asked the question wrong, are the class A/B class D? It's not always put out there on the front page of an items description. This is not meant as a quality question or a VS. question.

14. fore

fore Member

They are class A/B.

15. johnda

johnda AK Subscriber Subscriber

I got my A-S500 and a pair of KEF Q300's from Onecall and I never looked back!

16. HiFi in WYO

HiFi in WYO The universe is a big place, perhaps the biggest.

Love mine! It's not for a dark room, kind of disappears. But love the effortless sound. Pairs up well with the Yammie CD player and makes my 105.1s sing!

17. Jazzmuso

Jazzmuso Active Member

AS 500 is a very good amp: clean detailed and balanced across frequency range. 85 watt per channel is meaty and also has good imaging. They drive my NS 690 very well. I like the i pod connection and use it with the YDS 12 adaptor. As I listen to 2 channel stereo I have not bothered to audition the As 501 and wont need the extra features and digital inputs.

Plugged in connected CD player and i pod and never switched it off ever. Play it everyday for hours. I agree it just dissapears and does the job quietly and effectively.

18. cnh2

cnh2 Super Member

Other than some improved connectivity for ipod, etc. and a sub-out, in what way was the Yamaha AS500 any different from the internal structure of the AX-497 that preceeded it? I've seen internal shots of both and I can't tell. Both have symmetrical heat sinks, same transformer and two 10,000 mf caps, and power ratings, etc.? The reason I ask is because Yamaha seemed to claim otherwise. They did, of course, redesign the face to reprise a retro Yamaha look but otherwise?

The 497 sounds OK as well, IMO, for a budget integrated?

19. SuperLead100

Great question cnh2! Many of the specs look identical; and the internals as well.:scratch2:
    In true AK fashion, I'd bet you you can find the ax-497 for a song now with the new a-s series out there. Could be a real bargain. Although I'll say the new features of the a-s are quite nice. I also have the a-s501 and appreciate the Bluetooth capability and other features.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  20. bjlefebvre

bjlefebvre AK Subscriber Subscriber

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how different the sound of the A-S500 (or S501) compares with the R-S500BL receiver? Curious why the receiver is that much cheaper than the intergrated amp. Is the A-S501 that better of a sound?