Yamaha A1 integrated amp issue

mslayer

Early A1 amp has been in house storage for many years. Decided to fire it up last week. Plugged it in, wired up some known good speakers, plugged in music source to aux input and switched it on.it made the familiar ting when the speaker button lit up. I turned up the volume and it made some slight noises in the volume control so I turned off the speaker switch an rotated the vol knob back and forth and turned the speakers back on. Turned it up and had no real excess noise while increasing volume. Shut it off brought it in another room and wired up a different set of speakers. This time the right channel crackled very loud with the volume down and the speaker light switch shut down. I checked all connections for loose cable or fray shorts. Unplugged the amp for a half hour or so and it still will not light the button. I also notice a very slight hum from the unit in a silent room. I always liked the simplicity and clean looks and sound of this amp.
Any suggestions? Worth having fixed? If it's worth getting fixed is there any suggestions for repair in the Albany NY area?

Does it play any audio on speaker B? Does it "click" when either A or B is depressed?

Nevermind.. no speaker B.. Been a while since I played with and A-1.

Does it still " click" when speaker A is depressed?

Does it play any audio on speaker B? Does it "click" when either A or B is depressed?

Nevermind.. no speaker B.. Been a while since I played with and A-1.

Does it still " click" when speaker A is depressed?
Last I tried anything it only powers up now. The speaker switch does have a click but does not light now and the relay does not click on (ting). I checked the headphone jack and nothing there either.

Love my A-1's !!! Hope you get them fixed. They are a bit harder to work on than other Yammy's but its worth it once they work 100% .
Especially with vinyl , the phono section is quite good.

Athanasios

Back
Top Bottom