Yamaha Amp comparison B-1 vs MX-2000

lmfree

From my last post I received some good input that an MX-2000 would be an upgrade from my CA2010's and CR3020. But where does the B1 fit into this mix end how does the sound quality differ with V-FET technology than what is in the MX-2000.

wish i had the expertise to answer this properly. Mark B can, and perhaps a few others. IIRC, he holds the B-1 in slightly higher regard, but don't take my word for it. i can tell you that i wasn't incredibly impressed with my B-1 at first compared to my M-4, but i replaced the relays (very easy DIY) and the slight perceived haziness and dryness pretty much disappeared. should be even better when the recap is done soon. if your load is low-impedance (i.e. much lower than 4 Ohms), however, i'd lean toward the MX-2000. the B-1 had trouble driving my Infinity RS1b panels, which hover around 2 Ohms much of the time, when i wanted to push the volume during loud classical crescendos.

Thanks, I appreciate your input. I was looking at a MX-2000 when a C1 unexpectedly came along. I was thinking maybe I should pair it up with a B1/UC-1 instead of looking for a CX2000/MX2000 combination. But honestly I have never heard either. I'm mostly listening to vinyl played through a Denon DP6000 with Grace 714 arm and a CA-2010 at the moment. Always looking to achieve perfection.

A pretty damn good Solid State amp is necessary to dethrone a good v-fet amp from one's system.The B-1 is one of the best(some say THE best)v-fet amps out-there.

I was looking at a MX-2000 when a C1 unexpectedly came along. I was thinking maybe I should pair it up with a B1/UC-1 instead of looking for a CX2000/MX2000 combination.

There comes many C-1's around for one working B-1, only a few (read 1-3) pr. year are sold world wide (not counting Japan). So unless you wish to spend some serius cash, just grab the MX-2000 and pair it with the C-1.

The MX-2000 is not that easy to find either, not to mention a full set CX/MX.

But what is you're plan about the upgrade, at the moment it seems you are posting about the top 3 - 4 set's from Yamaha (only the 10000 series is missing). Going from a CA-2010 to any of these setup's are not "just" an upgrade, major upgrade might not cover it either.

-----EDIT----

at the moment there is actually 3 units for sale world wide, one action and 2 sales adds (one Europe and one US).

Last edited:
I was negotiating the sale of an MX2000 when the owner decided not to sell. The same day I got a lead on a C1 and bought it and is on its way via FedEx. Also, I now have a lead on a B-1 so thought maybe it was "karma" that the B-1 came up after I bought the C1 and the MX 2000 evaporated. I have no current leads on any other MX2000 although I thought the C1 would be a great combo with the MX2000. I'm not enthusiastic about the CX-2000 since I believe it only has inputs for one turntable and I don't need all the other inputs; although it would certainly look good with an MX2000. It seems I have it narrowed down to either a B-1 or an MX-2000 but just wanted some feedback as which would give the best sound quality.(Next will be speakers). I'm currently trying to build the ultimate vintage analog setup for spinning vinyl. I have a few other modern setups I'm using for playing digital SACD/DVDA

Well the phono section of the C-2x is said to be better than the one in the C-1, but the rest is better in the C-1 than the C-2x. I would stay happy with the C-1 and focus on finding a power amp.

What speakers do you use? If the B-1 thing do not work out you can look for a B-2 if you wish to hear the V-FET sound.

BTW. The ultimate vintage setup is the Centennial system: http://www.thevintageknob.org/YAMAHA/YAMAHA-main.html

Currently I'm been switching back and forth between 3 speaker systems. A pair of ML Summits(actually don't sound that great for the money), a pair of Polk LSI 25's and a pair of NS 690III's. Eventually will probably go to a vintage pair of JBL's. Well I finished the deal on the B-1 Amp and should be on its way. Soon after I made final payment on that, the guy who backed out on the MX2000 contacted me and said he was now willing to accept my offer on that. :scratch2: I'm having a hard time saying no because I don't know when I'll get a chance at another one. Then I guess I can do my own comparison between the B-1 and MX-2000. $$$$$$$:yikes:

Hmmm it's a sweet bug but it bites hard.

Most of the Yamaha TOTL power amp's hold the price, so unless you paied too much it will be posible to sell around the same price.

But to make these 2 amp's show there best, you properly need to upgrade the speakers :) In JBL it seems to be the 250Ti or 4430 you wish to have.

The ML Summit's are they powered or pasive? looking in the manual did not really show this clearly.

Yes, next on the list will be speakers and I'm leaning to a pair of vintage JBL's so input will be needed. The ML Summits are powered.

Well.....I have to see but I think I may be getting a pair of JBL 4333's. Seems we reached an agreement but I don't have them yet. Time will tell!

Back
Top Bottom