Yamaha AX 1050

PoCko

Hello guys i just got an Yamaha AX 1050 but when i connect it to a Samsung Galaxy S6 trough the CD input the level is very low. I have a Harman Kardon HK6550 but the level on it is perfect .... maybe a little too high/cannot go past 12 o'clock volume level/. Why is there so much difference? I like this amp but this low input level is a big problem becouse i use it loud from time to time but when i turn the volume knob all the way to the max it does not get loud enough. Please help how to resolve the problem.

Just noticed that after 1 hour of on time the heatsink on the left channel is warmer than the one for the right. Is that normal?

Did you try using the Galaxy through another input like tape or tuner? If they play normally you may have an issue with your input selector switch.
As far as the temperature, it may be worth having the bias checked to make sure it's even and in spec on both channels. .

The one problem that I've ever had with my AX-1090 is oxidation in the selector switch. But in my case the entire signal (both channels) would drop out. A good cleaning with Deoxit and regular hand switching of the selector with power off has taken care of that.

OMGCat's advice about trying a different input sounds good. I've had my 1090 since 1998 and have never had the volume up past 10:00. It simply gets too loud to stay in the same room with it past that point. But then my speakers are reasonably efficient.

Let us know what happens after trying a different input connection. Preferably more than one.

Cheers,
James

OMGCat! i tough it may be the bias .... will check it. I have also tried all the inputs, and all are about the same. My loudness is on FLAT and no tone correction is applied. When i switch to Pure Direct the level stays the same.

Bratwurst7s My speakers are DALI Zensor 7 whit Sensitivity (2,83 V/1 m) [dB]90.0 / 6 ohms / Recommended Amplifier Power 40 - 150[W]. Then again ... whit my Harman Kardon HK6550 i cannot go past 12 o'clock and he is rated 50W at 8ohms. The 1050 is rated 145 at 8Ω!?!

Just tested and when i turn tha Yamaha to the max /the phone to da max/ it gets close to maybe 10 o"clock on the Harman. I think there is some kind of problem

This is the Service Manual that i found: pdf

Last edited:
I would start with a good Deoxit of all of the switches and level controls etc. Before adjusting the bias.

Cheers,
James

Usually with amps, it is not that big a deal. If you want useful advice, measure the temps for both channels.

Thanks for the advices! I have send it to the repairmen, he is my friend. But can some one give me a hint how can i program my smartphone/i have infra red/ so that i can use it as a remote control? We have doubts that the low volume may be due to lowered level from the remote control. I got the amp from a garage sale so i do not have the original control unit.

Bratwurst7s can you test out if you lower the volume from the remote ..... how is the volume knob ot the amp working?

Lesterbest the bias is not a problem? What has to be the right temperature? Will mesure it tommorow.

The volume control poti has a motor mounted directly on it. Hand controlling the volume or controlling it with the remote give exactly the same loudness. It's not possible for there to be a difference.

Any Yamaha remote should work for you, at least for the basic functions. I can use the remote for my RX-V3900 and the remote for the AX-1090 to control either amp. The remote is not your problem.

Cheers,
James

Do you have the pre-main jumpers installed? Without them, you will get almost no signal.

The black dealioes on the pic here:

qJU7fOm.jpg

Altho I worked for authorized repair & sold Yammy, today I'm a plug & play guy. Best to let qualified DIYs advise on bias. It's not unusual for SS amps to have 1 channel slightly warmer. If you can put a thermometer on both sides, you might not need to rebias. Ten degrees difference is no big deal. However if you're handy, rebiasing can't hurt.

Do you have the pre-main jumpers installed? Without them, you will get almost no signal.

The black dealioes on the pic here:

qJU7fOm.jpg
Yes they are connected.

Altho I worked for authorized repair & sold Yammy, today I'm a plug & play guy. Best to let qualified DIYs advise on bias. It's not unusual for SS amps to have 1 channel slightly warmer. If you can put a thermometer on both sides, you might not need to rebias. Ten degrees difference is no big deal. However if you're handy, rebiasing can't hurt.
Thanks!

Guys ...problem solved! The amp was in MUTE mode from the remote. I adjusted a similar model for AnyMote app on android and use it to toggle. The bias was checked but the repairman said it is good and will not bother correcting it. All the other parts where good and do not need replasement. Thanks to everyone!

All pots are working without cracking. Only the A/B switch for the speakers are making the right channel /sometimes the left/disappearing or crackling. How can i clean it? When i click it about 30 times it stays OK until the next use.

And there is a sign of humidity like white clouds here and there on the circuits. How can i clean them?

Usualy i am not very lucky ... :D

I have WD40 does it do the same job? Can i spray the same in the A/B switch?

I have cleaned it whith paint brush. Will get some cleaning alcohol for the circuit board.

I cannot find Deoxit here for now but i will continue to search for it.

I am interested in how to setup the Loudness knob? On my Harman all is set to 0 and only the Loudness button is on. On the Yamaha the sound is .... a little thin/all set to 0 again/ when i listen to rock/metal. In many occasions the bass is gone. Can it be something wrong with the amp or is this the actual character?

Back
Top Bottom