Yamaha AX-300U w/pics

Raynald

Addicted Member
I remember selling these when they came out. The NAD 3020 and subsequent 3120, 3020a, 3020e, et al had attracted a tremendous amount of attention in the press and sold in pretty big quantities worldwide. Other companies responded, most notably Rotel with their UK designed RA-820/840 and the later B then BX versions.

I guess Yamaha wanted their piece of that action so they released an entry level amp that was a bit of a departure for them in the age of the A/V amp. It had tone controls and balance, but not much else. Four inputs and a headphone socket were pretty much the only other "features". There some interesting touches. Only one set of speaker terminals and these were nice beefy banana plug type, quite a bit more heavy duty than found on other inexpensive Yamaha pieces. The Phono and CD inputs were gold plated. The real surprises were on the inside. A couple of nice Nichicon caps (6800 uf?) in the power supply. Some other real top drawer touches: Rubycon Black Gates caps in the phono section and an Alps (not sealed) volume pot. The outputs were of course discreet, 4 nice SK devices. No heavyweight, the all up weight was only about 10 lbs. Price was quite aggressive as I recall, something under $300 Canadian.

This amp was not a great success for us. Folks coming in who really cared about sound could be easily convinced to spend more to get into a Cyrus One which was in a whole different league. Those wanting to spend the minimum for a good sounding amp felt much more secure going with the NAD that was on so many best buy lists. And finally, the Yamaha buyer tended to be looking for more features than were offered here. Maybe it did well elsewhere, who knows?

I always thought it was a funny, almost offbeat piece and have been keeping my eyes out for one. I finally came across one the other day, complete with original box. Needed a good clean up but is in good shape. I have really only listened to it enough to make sure it works at this point, and that it does. No problems to report.

I have included some pictures and here is a link to the manual:

http://www2.yamaha.co.jp/manual/pdf/av/english/IntA/AX-300.pdf

Anybody else have any memories of this obscure Yamaha attempt at entry level purist audiophile amplification?

Attachments

• Yamaha AX-300U 001.JPG
    Yamaha AX-300U 001.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 131
  • Yamaha AX-300U 002.JPG
    Yamaha AX-300U 002.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 94
  • Yamaha AX-300U 003.JPG
    Yamaha AX-300U 003.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Yamaha AX-300U 004.JPG
    Yamaha AX-300U 004.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 108
  • Yamaha AX-300U 005.JPG
    Yamaha AX-300U 005.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
AX-300.....AX-400.....Hmmmmmm

Howdy, Reynald......I don't have experience with this unit, but I recently found and brought an AX-400U home.....

I'd guess you would know, but what a difference in the two....

Mine has 55 WPC , the Yamaha variable loudness feature, and a little more input option.......I haven't opened it up yet, but your description of the innards gives me hope.....

I also thought mine was light at first, but when I saw the speaker terminals, and the power "in" rating, I knew it was more than it seemed.....

Mine sounds just great, and I am very pleased with it...

Sorry, no pics right now, but it "looks" very similar to the 300......I think these are sleeper pieces, and not to be sniffed at.........as long as they are cheap....like mine was:D.......................willhowl:tresbon:

P.S.............. thanks for the history.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom