Yamaha B-1 VS B-2 ? Can anyone describe ?

Yamaha b1

Hello Vingtage
Have you changed the silicon grease on every heatsinks on the boards ? :scratch2:

I'm fabricating a few of these.Roll your own 4 each 15K,18K,22K or 27K take your pick...

Attachments

• condenser63.jpg
    condenser63.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 159
I'm fabricating a few of these.Roll your own 4 each 15K,18K,22K or 27K take your pick...

Look'en real good! I'm thinking 22K would be a good upgrade; I'll bet there's some scary inrush current on the 27K's ... :yikes: :D

When can I get mine? :scratch2:

27K maybe a tad bit...But they will fit under the hood..:thmbsp:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the size difference of these guys since my size went the other way over the last 30+ years ... :D

attachment.php

Last edited:
Yamaha b1

Hello Vingt age

Here is the picture !
Take off the screws referenced in blue (1 to 4) :thmbsp:

Last edited:
new filter caps on this amp made a bigger difference than on any other amp i've tried. i would definitely make sure you do that once you finish everything else up.

Avionic's workup looks really nice. my solution was a little more "handmade" but only requires a sheet of Delrin. i'm sure you've seen that thread. if you were to follow that path, take advantage of my experience and make sure to use stranded wire for easier soldering and connect the grounds of the caps as soon as possible, rather than connecting multiple grounds later at the ground buss.

new filter caps on this amp made a bigger difference than on any other amp i've tried. i would definitely make sure you do that once you finish everything else up.

Avionic's workup looks really nice. my solution was a little more "handmade" but only requires a sheet of Delrin. i'm sure you've seen that thread. if you were to follow that path, take advantage of my experience and make sure to use stranded wire for easier soldering and connect the grounds of the caps as soon as possible, rather than connecting multiple grounds later at the ground buss.

I'm working on a board that will basically drop right in where the origin caps were and not need any new wiring ...

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
The solution on this thread:

Not doable with 15000uF 100V caps.

would also be an option for the stacked caps or not?

Yup, there's lots of ways to put new caps in that space.

I will receive my B1 in a few days and i read already a lot here and elsewhere what to do and not to do. What i noticed is that on www.amp8.com these caps are never replaced.

regards

I'd like to replace them for 2 reasons. IMHO 15000uF is a little light for this amp and it could benefit from a bit more storage (18000uF). Secondly, when I had the caps out I charged them up and left them sitting unloaded for about 12 hours. One cap held its charge quite nicely across both sections while the - section of the other one didn't do quite so well in that there was more leakage which says to me it's starting to show its age ... sorta like me. :tears: :D

Back
Top Bottom