Yamaha b-2 or b-2x --- which is a better match for NS-2000?

it is THE Yamaha preamp and the only separate preamp to have v-fets. A magic combo with its V-fet siblings. All-Fet signal path, all the way to the BE speakers :)
After properly restored to it's former glory, the C-1 is capable of magic ;)
Do not be intimidated by its many controls as they can easyly be defeated, or be very useful. It even has a built in tone generator. ..but be intimidated by the cost to restore and that is if you can find someone to take it in. Most likely no one on this side of the pond would touch it, other than maybe take it in for a simple recap. That is actually why no one has snatched it yet. Let's just ay that the asking price is not out of ordinry, given the condition of the unit and that it works. Restored units, if you are ever lucky to find one, would cost exponentially more.

Out if interest, have you ever compared the C-1 to the CX-10000? I have a CX-10000 and it is the best preamp i have used by a long way, so I was idly wondering how the C-1 might compare to it.

Ignoring the fact that the C-1 MUST be better as it has VU meters, obviously! :biggrin:

[
Out if interest, have you ever compared the C-1 to the CX-10000? I have a CX-10000 and it is the best preamp i have used by a long way, so I was idly wondering how the C-1 might compare to it.

Ignoring the fact that the C-1 MUST be better as it has VU meters, obviously! :biggrin:
Yes, C-1 vu-meters certainly make it superior :)

But, the answer to your question is NO, I have not had the chance to do an A/B comparison of the two.

I actually heard the CX-10000 in a centennial setup recently and that entire system was fantastic. Super transparent and the music truly makes you feel that you are right there with the orchestra. That said, I only had short listening session, so my experience is limited with the CX-10000. Source was a PX-1, speakers FX-1s

My C-1 listening experience is also limited. I spend way more time fixing and restoring my equipment than have the chance to listen to it. In some weird way, I get lots of satisfaction from both.
As far as the C-1 sound, it is as smooth as butter, particularly when paired with the B-1,2. I did not have a proper source, similar to that of the CX-10000 setup. I listened to a mediocre digital PC DAC; speakers were a trusty NS-1000m set...so you see, not really a fair comparison, but in spite of all these, the V-fet combo sound is mesmerizing to listen to and it is certainly engaging where I do get a comparable feeling of the presence of the instruments and vocals.

@Mark B has briefly mentioned that he prefers the CX-10000 over the C-1 and I am sure he had the opportunity to do a proper A/B listening. Maybe he will chime in.
One observation I have is that I am not aware in what condition Mark's C-1 is. I am not sure if it was just recapped or fully restored. Let me be clear: There are differences!

The C-1 preamps are notorious for having bad connectors and ill-fated semis. A simple recap does not cut it. The sound quality of these 40+ year old C-1s DOES vary from unit to unit, based on the level of restoration. I have three different units and I did get to compare them at different stages of restoration and there are clear differences.

The CX-10000s are much more modern and I would assume that none would exhibit substantial sound quality differences comparing to when they were new.

Last edited:
I am hoping that with this additional information I successfully intimidated most potential buyers for that fleabay C-1, so can snatch one more because I need more

Ironically this makes me want one even more and I'm not even currently in the market. :biggrin: The C-1/B-1 combo is definitely on my bucket list for yamahoarding. I thought a C-2x/B-2x would
satiate me but as you say "need more" Yamaha.

Ironically this makes me want one even more and I'm not even currently in the market. :biggrin: The C-1/B-1 combo is definitely on my bucket list for yamahoarding. I thought a C-2x/B-2x would
Go get it!! That way you have one less thing on the bucket list to cross off!!! How often do you get a chance to do that?:beerchug:

My bucket list has one item:
1) Create bucket list.

I figure the moment I create that list I am owning up to my own mortality.... :)

yes, definetly an addicition but way cheaper than terapy cost. I am the perfect use case :bigok:

Last edited:
yes, definetly an addicition but way cheaper than terapy cost. I am the perfect use case :bigok:

but the addiction can get wilder when you start looking at other things...this is the newest member of my v-fet family:
https://audio-database.com/Lo-D-HITACHI/amp/ha-500f-e.html

and I am in dire need of a service manual. If anyone here has one or knows someone that has one, I would be very appreciative if you let me know.
OP, sorry for hijacking the thread.
Absolutely, positively no worries.... it's all fair game and welcomed.

That Hitachi is sweet! Being a woodworker, I appreciate the nice wood cabinet!

On that vane, I was reading up on a Sony TA-E88 earlier, and being designed as a rackable component, I immediately started designing a wood cabinet in my head that I could build to wrap it, and still allow access to the RCA jacks....

The TA-E88 is no slouch apparently either, maybe on par or better with the C-2a, maybe a tick below the C-2x. Then again, I've not used any of the three yet, just going on what I've read and others opinions.

but the addiction can get wilder when you start looking at other things...this is the newest member of my v-fet family:
https://audio-database.com/Lo-D-HITACHI/amp/ha-500f-e.html

and I am in dire need of a service manual. If anyone here has one or knows someone that has one, I would be very appreciative if you let me know.
OP, sorry for hijacking the thread.

Very nice! One of my in-laws in Japan retired from Hitachi...I told my wife I want them to sneak me into a class reunion party to look for retiree's with unwanted gear :D If only she had some relatives
in Hamamatsu...then it would be centennial collection jackpot! "Oh that GT-2000x, well I already have a black GT but if you really don't want it..." :rockon:

The wife would kill me if I dropped that kind of dough at the moment so hopefully that C-1 ends up safely on the new Rott bench. If during my next trip to Japan I can secure a source of
V-fets (even the 2SK180's for a B-1) then my concerns about them may disappear. I guess my thought is that if you are going V-fet then go all in, at least then you can hear the signal chain as it was intended.

Absolutely, positively no worries.... it's all fair game and welcomed.

That Hitachi is sweet! Being a woodworker, I appreciate the nice wood cabinet!

On that vane, I was reading up on a Sony TA-E88 earlier, and being designed as a rackable component, I immediately started designing a wood cabinet in my head that I could build to wrap it, and still allow access to the RCA jacks....

The TA-E88 is no slouch apparently either, maybe on par or better with the C-2a, maybe a tick below the C-2x. Then again, I've not used any of the three yet, just going on what I've read and others opinions.

Owning a C-2 (needs work), C-2x (fully restored) and C-4 (maintenance done, channel drop out and self-shutoff problems solved) , I would say that if you are going to get a C-2a (potentially a myriad of problems), why not get a C-4 for cheap and go all out upgrading it. Paired with the right amp (M-2, B-5 etc. but not the B-2x, for whatever reason they don't get along) it's a sweet listen and should still sound wonderful with your NS-2000's. The C-4 has a nice warm sound and as many state it goes really well with vinyl. I hooked up my C-4 to the B-5 last night and it sounded great, much better than the CX-1 with the B-5. I guess the CX-1 & C-2x are best suited to the B-2x and the C-4 best suits the B-5/M-2 style build.

My first post here at AK 15 years ago(Sept 21 2003) was an enquiry about the Yamaha C2x that I had just bought. AK has played a big role in most of my purchases since then.

My first post here at AK 15 years ago(Sept 21 2003) was an enquiry about the Yamaha C2x that I had just bought. AK has played a big role in most of my purchases since then.
Well, let me be the first to say - Happy 15th (and a week) AK Anniversary! :) I don't see that C-2x in your sig line -- since sold off?

I wish the C-2x had both the 2003 pricing / availability like when you bought yours - they are a tough find these days in the right condition.... I may have to wait for a kind AK'er who has a stockpile of them (you know you're reading this) to part with one of theirs!:cool:

Cups his balls with magix supporters!
Many Magix is his nickname

Many Magix holds a Giant and Thremndeous Moon source in his house that it is Expose 'd only to him. He often shares his expereicnes on the dark side with others on this forums.

Last edited:
you are missing 'The Truth' and that Theophile was "Expose"d for going to the dark side

Closest you will get to "The Truth" with a Yamaha, is with a C-1 or a MX-10000
Mark B will be able to tell you more about that. He owns a C-1 and CX-10000. He now uses The Truth. My balls are a bad influence on others...

Well, let me be the first to say - Happy 15th (and a week) AK Anniversary! :) I don't see that C-2x in your sig line -- since sold off?

I wish the C-2x had both the 2003 pricing / availability like when you bought yours - they are a tough find these days in the right condition.... I may have to wait for a kind AK'er who has a stockpile of them (you know you're reading this) to part with one of theirs!:cool:
I sold the C2x and the B-2 to friend and AKer timofred about 6 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom