Yamaha b-2 or b-2x --- which is a better match for NS-2000?

I haven't heard a better preamp than "The Truth". The YPC-1 with the B-1 is perhaps the equal of "The Truth".
That is a big commendation for the YPC-1. Is that the YPC-1 I sent you a link for? Did you get that one?

:D:D:D at some point it was but not recently. I got it recently:naughty:

I saw one in the last month for a really good price but I'm trying to restrain myself. I'd put the money down for a stainless steel platter or a better arm(one that would suit the Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge). Given how good the GT 2000 is and given how good the Strain Gauge is supposed to be( no I still haven't even heard it) a world class cartridge on a world class turntable(I have no shame but it has to be said) then a ****ing great arm better be the next thing I acquire. Way ahead of the SS platter and way ahead of another turntable(no matter how much I jones for a PX-1).

I'll tell you(and I have said it before) that I have my eyes on a Funk Firm FX arm. Whether the FX R or the FX 3 I don't know. I think that I'll ask Arthur Khoubessarian which of the two he recommends. I want him to custom make me a 10.5 inch version of whichever model he recommends. My gut tells me that he'll recommend the FX 3. He wouldn't release it if it didn't improve on the FX R. He kept the armtube crossbrace and decided not to use the Rega bearing housing(which Arthur modifies anyway) but he commisioned an in-house-design arm bearing housing. You don't bother doing that unless you're sure that you are not going to trash the sound quality. The FX R put Funk Firm on the map as a class tonearm manufacturer. Arthur might have been able to save a buck or two by moving to a non-Rega housing. You don't trash your brand to save a buck or two(if you have any sense).

I'd love to hear a well-isolated GT 2000 with a great arm holding the SS Strain Gauge. Hopefully, the only thing which stands between me and that goal is a few months. I promise I will put the Strain Gauge on the YSA-1 before I get another arm or a stainless steel platter. The reason? It takes a long time t optimise the Magix isolation. It makes such a difference to the sound that I know I would not be hearing the best from the Strain Gauge cartridge if I altered the plinth for a new arm and changed to isolation for the worse. I have to initially hear the Strain Gauge with the YSA-1 and my current best effort at isolating the GT. I can more than likely do better at the isolation than I am currently but if this is the best I have heard the GT sound(so far) I don't want to go backwards just to put a better am on the plinth.

I am getting better at streamlining the process. I have figured a way around unavoidable blocks to making changes in real time. They way I formerly had this all set up made it impossible to add or subtract from the mass under the turntable while listening to it. In other words I'd need to tear the entire thing down and remove the GT 2000 from the isolation support in order to add or subtract. Okay I should describe the degree of dificulty I'm trying to achieve. Essentially, I am trying to do something like balance the GT 2000 on a needle point. I'd like to get that degree of accuracy I don't think I have actually heard the best this support can reach. Now I don't have to tear it down, I have been able this way to get a much better handle on the added mass needed. It has made me glad that I bought that many Magix because I feel that they sound their best when they are lightly loaded. To look at the Magix stated load capacity and to plan to load close to the max is in my opinion not a good idea. I said that I liked them loaded close to their max in the past, but now having the ability to add or subtract mass without having to do a complete tear down, it is clear to me that I like the Magix to be carying as light a load as possible. There remains prehaps much more that I could do to reduce the weight on the Magix. A completely different material circle atop the Magix and beneath the cup towers could take kilograms off the weight and I have no idea where that would take the sound because I would be in uncharted territory. After that step we would be discussing replinthing the GT 2000 for further mass saving. So many ideas, so little time.

I'm going to pull back because I have threadcrapped this thread more than is necessary. My apologies.

Last edited:
That is a big commendation for the YPC-1. Is that the YPC-1 I sent you a link for? Did you get that one?
Yes, that's the one.

The YPC-1, being a passive design using a potentiometer for volume attenuation, needs to be carefully matched with an amplifier and the interconnects to the amplifier. The B-1 and Oyaide DR-510 digital coax cables are a great match for the YPC-1.

Yes, that's the one.

The YPC-1, being a passive design using a potentiometer for volume attenuation, needs to be carefully matched with an amplifier and the interconnects to the amplifier. The B-1 and Oyaide DR-510 digital coax cables are a great match for the YPC-1.
The YPC-1 doesn't come up very often. I have only seen one other one for sale on the net. I'm glad that you took the leap. I sometimes buy a component simply because that is the only way I'll manage to be able to hear it. My curiosity gets the better of me. I guess a lot of us who buy vintage are doing exactly that. Buying and auditioning. Then telling others what we have heard. Perhaps then with a positive review creating a demand for the product. Some may hate us for that( unintentionally bringing the product to the attention of a new intenet audience) but why should we not be able to applaud a underappreciated masterpiece? The mystery remains how so many incredible components were underappreciated when they were released.

I saw one in the last month for a really good price but I'm trying to restrain myself. I'd put the money down for a stainless steel platter or a better arm(one that would suit the Soundsmith Strain Gauge cartridge). Given how good the GT 2000 is and given how good the Strain Gauge is supposed to be( no I still haven't even heard it) a world class cartridge on a world class turntable(I have no shame but it has to be said) then a ****ing great arm better be the next thing I acquire. Way ahead of the SS platter and way ahead of another turntable(no matter how much I jones for a PX-1).

I'll tell you(and I have said it before) that I have my eyes on a Funk Firm FX arm. Whether the FX R or the FX 3 I don't know. I think that I'll ask Arthur Khoubessarian which of the two he recommends. I want him to custom make me a 10.5 inch version of whichever model he recommends. My gut tells me that he'll recommend the FX 3. He wouldn't release it if it didn't improve on the FX R. He kept the armtube crossbrace and decided not to use the Rega bearing housing(which Arthur modifies anyway) but he commision an in-house-design arm bearing housing. You don't bother doing that unless you're sure that you are not going to trash the sound quality. The FX R put Funk Firm on the map as a class tonearm manufacturer. Arthur might have been able to save a buck or two by moving to a non-Rega housing. You don't trash your brand to save a buck or two(if you have any sense).

I'd love to hear a well-isolated GT 2000 with a great arm holding the SS Strain Gauge. Hopefully, the only thing which stands between me and that goal is a few months. I promise I will put the Strain Gauge on the YSA-1 before I get another arm or a stainless steel platter. The reason? It takes a long time t optimise the Magix isolation. It makes such a difference to the sound that I know I would not be hearing the best from the Strain Gauge cartridge if I altered the plinth for a new arm and changed to isolation for the worse. I have to initially hear the Strain Gauge with the YSA-1 and my current best effort at isolating the GT. I can more than likely do better at the isolation than I am currently but if this is the best I have heard the GT sound(so far) I don't want to go backwards just to put a better am on the plinth.

I am getting better at streamlining the process. I have figured a way around unavoidable blocks to making changes in real time. They way I formerly had this all set up made it impossible to add or subtract from the mass under the turntable while listening to it. In other words I'd need to tear the entire thing down and remove the GT 2000 from the isolation support in order to add or subtract. Okay I should describe the degree of dificulty I'm trying to achieve. Essentially, I am trying to do something like balance the GT 2000 on a needle point. I'd like to get that degree of accuracy I don't think I have actually heard the best this support can reach. Now I don't have to tear it down, I have been able this way to get a much better handle on the added mass needed. It has made me glad that I bought that many Magix because I feel that they sound their best when they are lightly loaded. To look at the Magix stated load capacity and to plan to load close to the max is in my opinion not a good idea. I said that I liked them loaded close to their max in the past, but now having the ability to add or subtract mass without having to do a complete tear down, it is clear to me that I like the Magix to be carying as light a load as possible. Their remains prehaps much more that I could do to reduce the weight on the Magix. A completely different material circle atop the Magix and beneath the cup towers could take kilograms of the weight and I have no idea where that would take the sound because I would be in uncharted territory. After that step we would be discussing replinthing the GT 2000 for further mass saving. So many ideas, so little time.

I'm going to pull back because I have threadcrapped this thread more than is necessary. My apologies.

That's passion Baby!

keep it coming, I am sure the OP will understand

Last edited:
The YPC-1 doesn't come up very often. I have only seen one other one for sale on the net.
Yeah, they're pretty rare.... only three cycled through the Do in the last year, and I think that's it for the entire history (no other ones came up). https://www.hifido.co.jp/sold/?M=&LNG=E&G=1&KW=ypc-1

Even the Shark shows nada (which is rare) and only gives past sales https://www.hifishark.com/model/yamaha-ypc-1

Then nada on Fleabay.

It's rare to see anything go 0-fer like that.... tough item to come by.

Back
Top Bottom