Yamaha B-2x Fixer Upper

Those speakers terminals on the Yamahas are about as useless as the ones on the Sansui's :( None of them let you use banana connectors.

I have two Sansui's that I need to retrofit with modern connectors just like the previous poster ;)

The B-2x looks pretty good after a bit of cleaning, flattening the bottom cover, and replacing the missing feet.

It sure does. It would look really nice next to my new C-2x too, and since you seem to have way too much top-of-the-line Yamaha gear, you should send it up I-5 to Seattle, to my house. I'm in no hurry, I can wait until you've replaced the speaker terminals. :D

Hi Guys,

I'm working on a new system for myself: a pair of Yamaha NS-1000x powered by a B-2 amp (no x). I use computer based systems, so it's source is an EMU 0404 usb. My goal for the future is to do a triamped system with (3) B-2 and a software based crossover to a 6 channel output device.

I'm looking to do similar mods to improve the amp. Specifically, I noticed that the corrosion on the volume control and even more so the input / speaker off / a / b buttons is causing a significant downgrade in sound quality.

I was searching and came across this thread, and this one too:
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=95582

If there are any others you know of, please let me know. I'm just getting started, so any resources or opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Just finished the new speaker terminals. I initially tried the style that cdfac used but was having problems with the solder joints. I think the type of wire I'm using and the order in which I did the work was the cause of the problem. I happened to have a set of WBT speaker terminals on hand and they use a screw to connect the wire. Since I only have one set of the WBT terminals I cut a new mounting panel from acrylic sheet and only drilled mounting holes for the one set. So there will be no B speaker terminals.

Got the new speaker terminals connected, hooked up the B-2x in my test system and powered it up. The B-2x is alive!

Attachments

• B-2x front v-1.jpg
    B-2x front v-1.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 62
  • B-2x back v-1.jpg
    B-2x back v-1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 11
  • B-2x back close-up.jpg
    B-2x back close-up.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
That makes me think, I have several Yamaha speaker terminal blocks that are more friendly than the B-2 originals, when I get the B-2 on the bench I will need to think about replacing the originals. Of course when I get that monster on the bench I'll need to rest for the balance of the afternoon so I will have lots of time to think about it.:D

B2x and c2x get real hot

I am the original owner of a yamaha b2x and c2x. To the owners of said equipment .do not enclose these components in any cabinet. The amp gets very very hot after thirty minutes of being on. The c2x also gets hot. I have used them for years to listen to magnepan mg3.3s and tympani 4s. The factory crossovers had to be adjusted as the amp does not like the very low impedence tweeters on both speakers. A small quiet fan blowing air across the top has helped. The b2 and b1 i own dont seam to get so hot.

Just finished the new speaker terminals. I initially tried the style that cdfac used but was having problems with the solder joints. I think the type of wire I'm using and the order in which I did the work was the cause of the problem. I happened to have a set of WBT speaker terminals on hand and they use a screw to connect the wire. Since I only have one set of the WBT terminals I cut a new mounting panel from acrylic sheet and only drilled mounting holes for the one set. So there will be no B speaker terminals.

Got the new speaker terminals connected, hooked up the B-2x in my test system and powered it up. The B-2x is alive!

Looks great, Mark! I'm not sure I'd use those particular Dayton posts again either. I put them on my QLS1s and also found them a bit difficult to solder to.

where did you find them feet? my PC5002Ms arrived sans...i'm assuming those would work.

where did you find them feet? my PC5002Ms arrived sans...i'm assuming those would work.
Stolen from a low-end Yammie CDP :D

(the stolen feet were replaced with some furniture glides)

I'm afraid that this style of feet will not work with the PC5002M.

is it a threading issue, size issue, or are they just not sturdy enough?
The bottom of the PC5002M will not accomodate feet like I used. I also think that those feet are not sturdy enough for the PC5002M.

C-2x PSU ratings

Welcome in the B-2x club Mark :)
Hello,

I'd liked to join the club as well.

Here is the post I sent earlier today, and I'd appreciate your advice:
Quote:
Hello all Yam lovers,
I just purchased a nice combo C-2x/B-2x (regular models) on the German eBay last month, and I'm presently checking them thoroughly.

Both are in pristine condition, outside and inside: no marks on the cabinets, no sign of any leak, nor overheated area or component. Apart from dusting them inside, nothing else to do.
As they sound fantastic, do you think that recapping could improve their performance further more ?

The only thing I noticed is that the C-2x main power supply voltage outlet reads +/- 30V, compared to the specified +/- 20V mentionned in the service manual (+/- 18.5V for the japanese model).

As I already owned another C-2x (European model), I went to check this one and I also found +/- 30V.
Should I bother about this ?

Unquote

Hello,

I'd liked to join the club as well.

You are in :)

I also run a EU version C-2x, but I did not test the voltage so I can't say if you're redings are different than mine. I also wrote a bit to you in the first thread you posted about you're C/B-2x.

A little thing about the forum, don't copy paste from one thread to another when asking about something (or post the same in several threads). In something like this Q it is perfectly ok to start a new thread and ask about this, the AK people with knowhow about these things will see and respond to the Q. And since this can be of great interest for all EU users of the C-2x, go make the new thread (just note in the text that you have been adviced to do so). This will also make it a lot more easy to find the info for others searching for info about the C-2x. Now don't get all this wrong, it's just an advice :)

Thanks for that link, Mark! It's a good thing that these threads pop up again from time to time

Agreed! I think I'm going to pick up some of those nifty binding posts that NumbDiver posted. My recent Denon POA-1500 acquisition warrants something nicer than the cheesy plastic screw posts that came stock. At $7 for 4 posts that's less than half of what PE is asking for their insulated posts. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom