YAMAHA B-3 on the way...to me!

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Cosmin2000, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic

You might want to consider changing the rest of the electrolytic caps at some point.

2. Oilmaster

Oilmaster Ozzy Subscriber

Well the TA-N902 is dual-mono (2x130/200W) or 400W in BTL mono mode class-A amp with 4 pair high-Ft bipolar transistors per channel; comparing such amps with VFET amps is like comparing sports cars with SUV cars....not really possible. Each have their plusses and minus. The N902 is a massive power house, fast and plenty of warm body. VFET amps are just pleasantly different with slightly better detailing and more spatial sound (perfect).

I just collect(ed) any VFET amp out there, and mountains of desirable Sony stuff :D

3. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic

Is N-902 class A 400w, or hybrid?

4. Cosmin2000

Cosmin2000 Active Member

I have searched here in China for V-FETs and found a couple of sellers on www.taobao.com which have all sorts of V-FETs, from Yamaha, Sony, Tokin, NEC. Could these be genuine?
    How could we recognize an authentic V-FET from Yamaha?
    What would be the good replacements for the B-3s V-FETs (I hope I will never need this!), could 2SK76/2SJ26 from B-2 be used instead on 2SK76A/2SJ26A pertaining to B-3?
    Thank for your input!

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...tEp2Hj&id=558640197047&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...tEp2Hj&id=558552276125&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...tEp2Hj&id=538632426823&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...tEp2Hj&id=559085562670&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...5PpggJ3&id=22748004813&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  5. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

OK so :
    first link = original 100% but I know this picture (since many months may be yearS ) and I can not confirm that you will receive what you see in this picture . I really doubt that they have 8498 pieces in stock ....
    2) link = original too (used not new) same as above . I don't really believe that they have 8604 pieces in stock
    3) = not sure that they are original YAMAHA VFET.Sold by pair . I don't really believe that they have 1886 pieces in stock
    4) = 100% sure that there are not original YAMAHA VFET . Described as new pair of V FET . Can you believe it ? 100 000 pieces in stock !!
    5) = 2SJ20+2SK70 X 2 for 10,54 usd ?? Really cheap for transistor looking like brand new never used and looking original .....

I have enough experience and knowledge to tell you if a transistor is original or fake but nobody will confirm you that you will receive what you paid for ...

Cosmin2000 likes this.
  6. Vint Age

Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

Yup ... but why would you¿ :)

7. Cosmin2000

Cosmin2000 Active Member

I just want to have the correct information, no more, no less. I hope my B-3 will work forever. But, who can tell?!

P.S.: I am enjoying the sound of the B-3 as I type this message. I'm in heaven, couldn't be more happy by this purchase decision.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  8. Cosmin2000

Cosmin2000 Active Member

clinic-audio, thanks for your detailed explanations regarding the autheticity of those alleged V-FETs. I think it worth a try, to buy a set of four, or a set of two, analize them, measure them and, if genuine, buy more.

9. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Me too!

Saint Johnny likes this.
  10. Vint Age

Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

To my thinking your problem will be with matching (ranking) the J (N channel) to the K (P channel) devices; Yamaha hand select the V-FET's they used in a given B-3 and in the B-2 where you have to match them in pairs and then to each other, J's to K's, so you'll need to buy a reasonable quantity of each type to have any hope of success should you have a V-FET failure.

11. Cosmin2000

Cosmin2000 Active Member

Ok, after several listening sessions all I can say is just I cannot be more happier with the B-3, I think this is the best purchase I made so far in audio, alongside with the NS-1000M speakers. Pure bliss! I just wonder how I could be so ignorant and postponed for such a long time this acqusition. B-3 is a such a special amplifier to that extent that now I'm addicted and I want another one. I'm working on this...
    I just wonder how will sound on NS-1000Ms, coupled with Trio L-07CII preamp. Heavenly I guess!

Attached Files:

Saint Johnny likes this.
  12. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

That's great Cosmin!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. Vint Age

Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

Ah yes, V-FETs and Beryllium in acoustic suspension, truly a match made in my sonic heaven! :) :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Saint Johnny likes this.
  14. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Bon Ton Roule Subscriber

It seems I may have contracted this syndrome as well. Thanks!;)

15. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic

"V-FETs and Beryllium in acoustic suspension"

Nasty addiction I tell ya. Perfect audio-drug. There is no going back once you had a "taste".

Saint Johnny likes this.
  16. yesshows77

yesshows77 Active Member

That B-3 is awesome! Cannot wait to get my hands on either a Yamaha or Sony VFET amp. I finally got my Yamaha B-4 power amp fixed (Japan Market dual mono version of the M-4) and she is now singing sweetly once again. I've tried it briefly in class A mode, but have not noticed any difference in sound when driving Dahlquist DQ-10's.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  17. Vint Age

Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

YES
    FET Be Ad 1.jpg FET Be Ad.jpg

INDEED!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Saint Johnny likes this.
  18. Saint Johnny

19. Saint Johnny

And so it begins, another one turns to the Dark Side. Ah, I remember it well. When I heard my first VFET, why it seemed like only yesterday...;)

20. yesshows77

yesshows77 Active Member

My current B-2 power amp sounds excellent...only out of one channel (sadly). The VFET outputs are dead on one side.