YAMAHA B-3 on the way...to me!

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by Cosmin2000, Oct 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. rottalpha

rottalpha Yamaholic Subscriber

You might want to consider changing the rest of the electrolytic caps at some point.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Oilmaster

Oilmaster Drillers go deeper Subscriber

Well the TA-N902 is dual-mono (2x130/200W) or 400W in BTL mono mode class-A amp with 4 pair high-Ft bipolar transistors per channel; comparing such amps with VFET amps is like comparing sports cars with SUV cars....not really possible. Each have their plusses and minus. The N902 is a massive power house, fast and plenty of warm body. VFET amps are just pleasantly different with slightly better detailing and more spatial sound (perfect).

I just collect(ed) any VFET amp out there, and mountains of desirable Sony stuff :D

3. rottalpha

Is N-902 class A 400w, or hybrid?

4. Cosmin2000

Cosmin2000 Active Member

I have searched here in China for V-FETs and found a couple of sellers on www.taobao.com which have all sorts of V-FETs, from Yamaha, Sony, Tokin, NEC. Could these be genuine?
    How could we recognize an authentic V-FET from Yamaha?
    What would be the good replacements for the B-3s V-FETs (I hope I will never need this!), could 2SK76/2SJ26 from B-2 be used instead on 2SK76A/2SJ26A pertaining to B-3?
    Thank for your input!

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...tEp2Hj&id=558640197047&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...tEp2Hj&id=558552276125&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...tEp2Hj&id=538632426823&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...tEp2Hj&id=559085562670&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail
    https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...5PpggJ3&id=22748004813&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  5. clinic-audio

clinic-audio all on YAMAHA untill 1990

OK so :
    first link = original 100% but I know this picture (since many months may be yearS ) and I can not confirm that you will receive what you see in this picture . I really doubt that they have 8498 pieces in stock ....
    2) link = original too (used not new) same as above . I don't really believe that they have 8604 pieces in stock
    3) = not sure that they are original YAMAHA VFET.Sold by pair . I don't really believe that they have 1886 pieces in stock
    4) = 100% sure that there are not original YAMAHA VFET . Described as new pair of V FET . Can you believe it ? 100 000 pieces in stock !!
    5) = 2SJ20+2SK70 X 2 for 10,54 usd ?? Really cheap for transistor looking like brand new never used and looking original .....

I have enough experience and knowledge to tell you if a transistor is original or fake but nobody will confirm you that you will receive what you paid for ...

Cosmin2000 likes this.
  6. Vint Age

Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

Yup ... but why would you¿ :)

7. Cosmin2000

Cosmin2000 Active Member

I just want to have the correct information, no more, no less. I hope my B-3 will work forever. But, who can tell?!

P.S.: I am enjoying the sound of the B-3 as I type this message. I'm in heaven, couldn't be more happy by this purchase decision.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  8. Cosmin2000

Cosmin2000 Active Member

clinic-audio, thanks for your detailed explanations regarding the autheticity of those alleged V-FETs. I think it worth a try, to buy a set of four, or a set of two, analize them, measure them and, if genuine, buy more.

9. MannyE

MannyE Exterminate! Subscriber

Me too!

Saint Johnny likes this.
  10. Vint Age

Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

To my thinking your problem will be with matching (ranking) the J (N channel) to the K (P channel) devices; Yamaha hand select the V-FET's they used in a given B-3 and in the B-2 where you have to match them in pairs and then to each other, J's to K's, so you'll need to buy a reasonable quantity of each type to have any hope of success should you have a V-FET failure.

11. Cosmin2000

Cosmin2000 Active Member

Ok, after several listening sessions all I can say is just I cannot be more happier with the B-3, I think this is the best purchase I made so far in audio, alongside with the NS-1000M speakers. Pure bliss! I just wonder how I could be so ignorant and postponed for such a long time this acqusition. B-3 is a such a special amplifier to that extent that now I'm addicted and I want another one. I'm working on this...
    I just wonder how will sound on NS-1000Ms, coupled with Trio L-07CII preamp. Heavenly I guess!

Attached Files:

Saint Johnny likes this.

12. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

That's great Cosmin!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
  13. Vint Age

Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

Ah yes, V-FETs and Beryllium in acoustic suspension, truly a match made in my sonic heaven! :) :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    Saint Johnny likes this.
  14. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Bon Ton Roule Subscriber

It seems I may have contracted this syndrome as well. Thanks!;)

15. rottalpha

"V-FETs and Beryllium in acoustic suspension"

Nasty addiction I tell ya. Perfect audio-drug. There is no going back once you had a "taste".

Saint Johnny likes this.
  16. yesshows77

yesshows77 Well-Known Member

That B-3 is awesome! Cannot wait to get my hands on either a Yamaha or Sony VFET amp. I finally got my Yamaha B-4 power amp fixed (Japan Market dual mono version of the M-4) and she is now singing sweetly once again. I've tried it briefly in class A mode, but have not noticed any difference in sound when driving Dahlquist DQ-10's.

Saint Johnny likes this.

17. Vint Age

Vint Age B-1 With Yamaha

YES
    FET Be Ad 1.jpg FET Be Ad.jpg

INDEED!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Saint Johnny likes this.
  18. Saint Johnny

19. Saint Johnny

And so it begins, another one turns to the Dark Side. Ah, I remember it well. When I heard my first VFET, why it seemed like only yesterday...;)

20. yesshows77

yesshows77 Well-Known Member

My current B-2 power amp sounds excellent...only out of one channel (sadly). The VFET outputs are dead on one side.