Yamaha BX-1 Class A Amps?

Can anyone verify the price?

Is it $2000 per amp or per stereo pair?

I assumed $4000 total, but have been told it's 2K.

I assumed $4000 total, but have been told it's 2K.

Marek, I take it you are the webmaster for the hifi museum. I sent you the email to set the record straight on the price of the BX-1's.

Orion shows an MSRP of $2,000.00 - that price is for a pair of BX-1's. Common sense makes it clear that the BX-1's were priced per pair since they are monaural amps, and they would be purchased as a pair.

To put the price of the BX-1's in context, the equally TOTL B-1 sold for only $1,600.00.

ExJxC unfortunately the prices there are recalculated from the old D-Mark into euro (a $ vs. D-mark vs. € problem) and not all of them are MSRP some are actual retail prices. So they are a guide. Also remember that there was a big difference between the US price and North European prices in those days.

Mark B; the B-1 and BX-1 are not equal, the BX-1 is pure class A.

The price I believe is for one amp, not a pair. A lot of high-end speakers of that time were also sold with a price pr. single speaker not the pair.

the-real-mandak said:
ExJxC unfortunately the prices there are recalculated from the old D-Mark into euro (a $ vs. D-mark vs. € problem) and not all of them are MSRP some are actual retail prices. So they are a guide. Also remember that there was a big difference between the US price and North European prices in those days.

The price I believe is for one amp, not a pair. A lot of high-end speakers of that time were also sold with a price pr. single speaker not the pair.

I posted more as a guide to compare to other amps. BX-1 5,623, B-1 1,600. The 5,623 is probably for the pair which would me think the $2,000 usd would be per amp as you said.

Is it true the BX-1 were only offered for one year or is that just for the European market?

I don't know how long it was sold but according to K.Nisi it was sold on the Japanese market in 1979, Vintage-hifi states that it was sold in Germany back in 1984. It was not in the regular German sales brochures, so it is hard to say for how long it was sold and where but I do think it was world wide.

the-real-mandak said:

With all due respect, I disagree with your conclusion that the 100wpc Class A BX-1 is in a different league than the B-1. Class A is not some holier than thou type of amplification. I'm familiar with the construction of both amps, and the construction of the B-1 is better. Also, it's not reasonable to conclude that because it's standard procedure for speaker manufacturers to price speakers per each speaker that it follows that monaural amps are priced per each amp. I've seen examples of both methods used for mono amps.

Here's a Japanese listing of the MSRP for the BX-1 (a pair) just like the listing for the L-07M below it is for a pair:

YAMAHA BX-1
NATURAL SOUND MONAURAL POWER AMPLIFIER
                              ¥330,000
1979年にヤマハが発売したパワーアンプ。A級パワーアンプのツイン構成で,A級動作・大出力を実現した
もので,ヤマハ史上でも珍しいモノラルアンプでした。また,ヤマハ独自の「ピュアカレントサーボアンプ方式」
を初めて搭載したアンプでもありました。

TRIO L-07M
DC POWER AMPLIFIER ¥100,000(1台)
1977年にトリオ(現ケンウッド)が発売したモノラルパワーアンプ。低インピーダンス出力を特徴とするL-07C
とのペアを想定したパワーアンプで,非常にシンプルでそっけないともいえる外観ですが,モノラル構成として
スピーカーのすぐ近くに設置してスピーカーコードの音質への悪影響を抑えようとした特徴ある設計がなされた
モデルでした。

And the listing for the B-1:

YAMAHA B-1
NATURAL SOUND STEREO MAIN AMPLIFIER ¥335,000

ヤマハが1974年に発売したステレオパワーアンプ。自社開発のV-FET(SIT)を使用した全段FET構成のパワーアン
プということで,非常に話題になった名機です。当時のヤマハの高い技術力,オーディオに対するアグレッシブな姿勢を
象徴する1台でした。

Mark B I do not say the BX-1 is in a different league, I just say they are not similar due to the BX-1 is a class A design.

About the reference to speaker sales, that was only done to show not every thing is sold in pairs. As you mention, some sold as a pair and some did not.

Please post links to the info you copy pasted, it do not work well with browsers that do not have Japanese language installed :)

----EDIT----

I just found a German review where they state that a set of BX-1's cost about 11.000 DM ~5.624 € ~ $7.635.
This strongly indicates that the MSRP of $2.000 is one amp.
The reason for the almost double price I write is due to the currency translation is done first from DM to Euro (when Germany shifted from D-Mark to Euro) and then from Euro to US Dollar using the translation of today (the dollar was much stronger back then) and the last bit is simply due to the prices was higher here in North Europe.
http://mitglied.lycos.de/fronteira/bxdat.jpg

When I spoke to Yamaha about my BX-1 amps they indicated that they sold for $2K, each. $4K for the pair.

Anders - you can use the babelfish website to translate. Just google up babelfish and enter the link and select the language you want it translated from-to and it will give you a reasonable result. Not perfect, but generally understandable.

Yamaha B-2 said:
Anders - you can use the babelfish website to translate. Just google up babelfish and enter the link and select the language you want it translated from-to and it will give you a reasonable result. Not perfect, but generally understandable.

I know, I just didn't think this would work with the pasted stuff but it does. I can see that this is copied from K.Nisi's page.

Yamaha B-2 said:
When I spoke to Yamaha about my BX-1 amps they indicated that they sold for $2K, each. $4K for the pair.
Do you have details, such as what they were using to determine that the price was per each? I'm sceptical that the price actually was per each.

Mark B said:
Do you have details, such as what they were using to determine that the price was per each? I'm sceptical that the price actually was per each.

Take this for whatever it is worth-
The manual only uses BX-1 in the singular form. The only diagram that shows two amps states: "This Diagram assumes the use of two BX-1 amplifiers for stereo."

Mark B follow the link I posted in #48 see the top, it clearly states 11.000 Mark/paar.
paar = pair in German. Mark = DeutschMark
Be sure the MSRP of $2000 is for one amp.

the-real-mandak said:
Mark B follow the link I posted in #48 see the top, it clearly states 11.000 Mark/paar.
paar = pair in German. Mark = DeutschMark
Be sure the MSRP of $2000 is for one amp.
Thanks TRM. 11,000 Deutsche Marks in 1979 or the early 1980's was a pile of money. Based on that price, the MSRP would be $2000 each. Does the source of that price sheet list a price for a B-1?

I have 2 sources; one that indicates a price of 4.600 DM and one of 1.600€ for the B-1 a little less than one mono block BX-1.

The BX-1 was as I remember the 3. most expensive hi-fi amp Yamaha ever did, only the MX-10000 and M101 was more costly.

the-real-mandak said:
I have 2 sources; one that indicates a price of 4.600 DM and one of 1.600€ for the B-1 a little less than one mono block BX-1.

The BX-1 was as I remember the 3. most expensive hi-fi amp Yamaha ever did, only the MX-10000 and M101 was more costly.
The evidence is in, and it is conclusive. I concede that the BX-1 was priced at $2000ea. My apologies to Marek for "correcting" the price listed on his website.

Mark B apology accepted, although it's not really necessary. I'm sure you believed what you were saying was right at the time.

I wasn't sure myself that's why I asked the Ak community for feedback.

Mark B said:
The evidence is in, and it is conclusive. I concede that the BX-1 was priced at $2000ea. My apologies to Marek for "correcting" the price listed on his website.

Back
Top Bottom