Yamaha BX-1's - oh yeah!

Avionic, I make a distinction between hot running "consumer" grade Yamaha's and models that are built to a higher standard like the M-2, B-2, and presumably Mark B's BX-1's.

I'll give the BX-1 the benefit of the doubt. Looks like there is enough shielding inside and the boards and components are robust enough to take the heat. Hopefully, Yamaha spec'ed 105 degree caps.

All of the caps are 85 degree Elna's & nichicons..

Great stuff Mark. :thmbsp:

Former AK member 'Yamaha B-2' had a pair of those.He liked them,but preferred his B-2.

roughly what temperature is too hot to leave your hand on a heatsink for more than half a second? that's how hot the BX-1 gets.

what temperature is too hot to leave your hand on a heatsink for more than half a second? that's how hot the BX-1 gets.

I use a temp gun for work, I have seen them these day,s for very cheap like
under $40. Might make a good test indicator for those heat sinks.

I think that the BX-1 was designed to sound it's best when the components have reached their designed steady state temperature, i.e., hot.

Dave, what is the temp rating of the caps you used in the BX-1's?

Panasonics FC's & a couple Nichicons - all 105 degree .. The large power supply caps are OEM 85 degree.

Last edited:
Great stuff Mark. :thmbsp:

Former AK member 'Yamaha B-2' had a pair of those.He liked them,but preferred his B-2.
Thanks theo. I can set up a B-2 driving one side of my NS-1000's and a BX-1 running the other side and see if I can hear any difference. Both amps were professionally refurbished so it should be a fair comparison.

Panasonics FC's & a couple Nichicons - all 105 degree ..
Excellent! MJarve and I were looking at the heat sensor mod, and Mike thought it was original. The amps has been tapped to accespt a fan, but I did not get a fan from justrideit. Do you have both fans? I'm not sure that I even want to run a fan on it. Have you tapped the BX-1 that you still have?

Thanks theo. I can set up a B-2 driving one side of my NS-1000's and a BX-1 running the other side and see if I can hear any difference. Both amps were professionally refurbished so it should be a fair comparison.

Therein may lie the key to the result from AKer 'Yamaha B-2'.

I am certain that his B-2 was EW refurbed.The BX-1;I doubt that it was also EW refurbed. :scratch2:

Hmm... how would you judge something like the soundstage in a setup like that?

IMO you need to do a full stereo listning on bough.

That will be an interesting comparo. IMO, the B-2 on NS-1000M set will be very hard to beat for sound. My B-2 heats up enough to tell me it is on but is otherwise cool to the touch.

Excellent! MJarve and I were looking at the heat sensor mod, and Mike thought it was original. The amps has been tapped to accespt a fan, but I did not get a fan from justrideit. Do you have both fans? I'm not sure that I even want to run a fan on it. Have you tapped the BX-1 that you still have?

The amps has been tapped to accespt a fan, but I did not get a fan from justrideit. Do you have both fans? I'm not sure that I even want to run a fan on it. Have you tapped the BX-1 that you still have?
No.. All I did was install the thermostat and panel connector.I have no fans..

Last edited:
MJarve and I were looking at the heat sensor mod, and Mike thought it was original
All my modification's look like a factory mod.:D Before I retire from my present job.I need to purchase a milling machine.I do a lot of plastic and aluminum fabrciation on the companys milling machines for various audio jobs.

Last edited:
I can set up a B-2 driving one side of my NS-1000's and a BX-1 running the other side and see if I can hear any difference. Both amps were professionally refurbished so it should be a fair comparison.

And ... :scratch2:

Back
Top Bottom