Yamaha C-1 multi-voltage?

rottalpha

Yamaholic
Subscriber
I am not aware of any version of the C-1 being multi-voltage, but looking at the schematic, I can see the transformer primary taps for different voltages. I know that might be misleading.

The reason for the curiosity is that if the primary taps do exist, it would be easyer to work with a Japan verison (without a step-up transformer).

Has anyone here worked on a 100v Japan model and noticed this?

...or is this purely from a schematic perspective to show what the color code for the primary wire would be based on the voltage (region)?

C-1 Transformer.PNG

Schematics usually show different transformers for different markets separately. For example, the schematic shows a European model with a different transformer and options for 220V or 240V primary windings.

I bet 100, 110, and 120V are all available on the same transformer.

it would be nice...that is what cought my eye too, but it is not necessarily true. B-2 amp has a similar schematic notation, with a separate diagram for the EU model, yet, the primary of the US version B-2 transformers, have only one set of wires :-(

In the case of the B-1, I was told that the primary winding does have multiple taps, so it really varies by model.

I am looking to see if anyone that worked on a C-1 100v model, could confirm.

What is your power transformer part number (stamped on it) ?
How many wires do you have on primary ?
What wires colors do you have ?
I am sure that if you have a Japan 100V model , the power transformer is for 100V only !

You loose ! on 100V power transformer there is only one primary and the part number of this transformer is specific
Japanese model mean Japan ONLY

I am sure that if you have a Japan 100V model , the power transformer is for 100V only !
I do not have one...not yet, but yeah, that has been the case with the B-2 as well.. The schematic shows multiple taps, but the actual transformer is region specific...

Clinic, I am assuming that you have been under the hood of multiple Japan region - 100v, C-1s, so you have answered my question. Thank you!

ok, so the 100V Japan C1 does have the 110v and 120v primary wires, afterall.
What a pleasant surprise!

Patrice, this is the transformer part number for the 100v C-1, Japan model. The unit serial number is above 2500. You can see that the Orange (110v) and the Brown (120v) have factory plastic caps.
I was told this to be true for the B-1 as well. I can confirm not to be that case for Japan B-2s, yet, all yamaha schematics will show transformer wireing in a similar fashion, so it really depends.

IMG_20170504_183918046_HDR.jpg IMG_20170504_183721910.jpg

Hello Pete
The bad news with the C1 power transformers is that they are in epoxy resin and no replacement or repair is possible (except if you broke the epoxy resin but it is a very long process without dammaging the transformer ! ). You have to replace it with the right voltages model in the right can :

C1-power-transformer-RR.JPG

Hello Pete
The bad news with the C1 power transformers is that they are in epoxy resin and no replacement or repair is possible (except if you broke the epoxy resin but it is a very long process without dammaging the transformer ! ). You have to replace it with the right voltages model in the right can :

View attachment 923717

I see....I am hopeing that it would not have to get to that. I would have used a step-up transformer, which is not bad, but in this case not necessary...
this transformer in your photo is a EU model, according to the wire colors for the primary.
The one in the photo I attached is for the Japan model and it has the correct voltage for USA too (120v).... actually three separate voltage taps that correspond to the schematic. The C-1 back cover has marked 100v.

So if the transfer is not burned up, I would not need to take it apart....

I posted the picture with the transformer model, so that now we know which is which, if the question should ever come up again.
What is the model number for the EU transformer?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom