Yamaha C-4 preamplifier in the house.

gary7

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I had one years ago and recently decided to go back all Yammie. OMG the prices have gone up. Year or so go I picked up a parts unit hoping to fix it, no dice. Last week another popped up on that auction site. Seller said he had no way to test it, but it powered up. So I dropped a bid and won it. Shipped Wend and got it today. Seller did not mention it had original box and inserts, nice. Plugged it in, a little raspy. And power switch lamp is out. Pulled the bottom and De-Oxed the controls. Very clean inside. Could not get to the 2 tone controls with out moving PC boards. Plugged everything back it. Sweet Music. Both channels. No static anywhere. My only concern are possible cold solder joints, but not going to worry about until it happens. I think I got a bargain. For now, I'm one happy camper.

IMG_1031.JPG IMG_1032.JPG

Last edited:
Got it swapped into my system. Not going to worry about the bulb till later, you basically have to disassemble the front panel to get at it. Already I can tell a difference from the Denon. Now the Denon PRA-1100 is no slouch, just different. I'll spend the weekend dialing it in. Very happy. :music:

Nice units. I like mine and recapped with all the auxiliary parts the Avionic says to replace at the time. Used a lamp for power but a couple 10V LEDs for the two green buttons. Works well but the MC phono stage isn't quite as good as the Crown phono module. No problem there the Crown module sold new for just under what an entire C-4 sold for and I have two mc hooked up so the C-4 needed an additional mc input.

Last edited:
Congrats to you on landing an excellent pre-amp:thumbsup: At some point down the road you should think about sending it to Avoinic and have him work his magic on it. I had him go through 2 of my C4's and the before and after difference is not subtle.

Looks like a nice one! The C-4 has a big following here in AK. The Yamaha forum has much information from those of us who have brought them back from the dead with very good results. I just picked up another myself, I think it is my 5th journey with this worthy pre.

I'd like to see a photo of that T-4 ?

Japan only?

t-4.JPG

Looks like a nice one! The C-4 has a big following here in AK. The Yamaha forum has much information from those of us who have brought them back from the dead with very good results. I just picked up another myself, I think it is my 5th journey with this worthy pre.
This is probably 3-4th one I had over the years. Very surprised I got it for what I paid shipped ( less than 2 Franklin's). Except for the power lamp and one scratch on the top rear corner, it is completely functional and sounds great. And to think I passed on one for $30 at a flea 6-7 years ago because I wasn't looking for one then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom