Yamaha C-4 vs UPS

MOPAR3

Ebay purchased C-4 showed up today. My son called me a work to tell me. The box looked ok on the outside. Inside the seller used those bags of expanding packing foam over bubble rap. So typical damage occured the volume knob is bent. The preamp does't work at all no lights,no sound nothing. I opened it up and found the volume pot had bent the inner face plate and the circuit board is flexed up. I checked fuses all ok. Still dead. They must have dropped it pretty hard to kill this thing cause its built like a tank. The power supply transformer is bigger than some amps. I'm pissed:dammit:

Sorry to hear it--serious bummer; what a waste. Rigid foam encasement plus box(es) or nothing.

It was packed pretty tight. Those bags of foam work well because they harden up solid. I'm surprised it's dead though, a bent control shouldn't have killed it. The guy I bought it from sells alot of equipment and is gonna handle the claim. I just wonder how long it will take to get my money back. I'm tempted to fix it. It's in nice shape.

Will UPS pay to fix? My local place charges 75.00 to look. I'm Guessing it'll cost 150.00 to fix maybe more. I only paid 140.00 with shipping so what will UPS allow? Anyone familiar with how to work this?Thanks

Mopar,
Sorry about UPS' bad manners.

If the C-4 has its power-on backlit button wired like my A-960 (same timeframe, same gen'), then, if that button's wire is disconnected or loose, the amp won't work or light up.
Check this first.

If the preamp was dropped chances are pretty good that you have a cracked PC board.Look at PC boards around mounting screws and heavy components that are fastened to the PC boards with a magnifying glass.
opened it up and found the volume pot had bent the inner face plate and the circuit board is flexed up.
Look that board over real good for cracks...:scratch2:

Dave

avionic said:
If the preamp was dropped chances are pretty good that you have a cracked PC board.Look at PC boards around mounting screws and heavy components that are fastened to the PC boards with a magnifying glass.Look that board over real good for cracks...:scratch2:

Dave
I looked closely at the board with the volume pot that was bent. Sure enough there was a crack in one of the traces near the edge. This board has a pair of transistors with heat sinks probably regulators for the power supply. I jabbed a probe in the crack and it came to life. Now the question is how do I make UPS pay? Should I just stick with the seller's plan and claim it as a total loss? This pre is in good shape not mint. Seems really well put together.

After thinking about it getting it working was easy the tough part is gonna be tearing it down to remove and straighten the inner face pannel. I could see that taking a couple hours.

Back
Top Bottom