Yamaha C-85 MC phono input problem

Every C-80 - 85 pre I've owned had bad RCA connections to the PCB. You might re-wet all these solder connections.

I have a C-80 with the same symptoms here... Stay tuned..:biggrin:

So it was the output transistors and not a problem in the MC phono stage?
MC amplifier output transistors.... The pre-amp I have here had a 2SD438 (TR114) that was unidentifiable with my DCA55. Replaced it and no more popping and the DC offset can now be adjusted.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
The 2SD438 is and obese looking TO-92. I opted to use TO-126 -- KSA1220AY and KCS2690AY. I replaced all outputs in both channels.

Last edited:
I have a C-80 with the same symptoms here... Stay tuned..:biggrin:
avionic...I got a guy who wants to sell his C-85 for $370 Cdn is that a good price if there is nothing wrong with it? I would like to ask if a Preamp can make the music sound better or worse? I would like to get a Yamaha Pre miss the one I sold and the Kenwood Basic C1 is fine but I feel a bit tinny (if I leave all dials at '0' or mid level) of course that was the Yamaha MX600U I just tried and not my Nikko Alpha II I wonder if that could make the sound a bit more 'clean'?

avionic...I got a guy who wants to sell his C-85 for $370 Cdn is that a good price if there is nothing wrong with it? I would like to ask if a Preamp can make the music sound better or worse? I would like to get a Yamaha Pre miss the one I sold and the Kenwood Basic C1 is fine but I feel a bit tinny (if I leave all dials at '0' or mid level) of course that was the Yamaha MX600U I just tried and not my Nikko Alpha II I wonder if that could make the sound a bit more 'clean'?
Hi 577, questions abt value go in dollars and sense.

Ah, the policy stuff, my apologies to everyone on here, no intentions to break them.

I will click on that link and check it all out thanks for that!!!

Back
Top Bottom