Yamaha C4 Preamp Recap Question

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by jdawg, Apr 19, 2017.

1. jdawg

jdawg New Member

I have a Yamaha C4 preamp that I would like to recap. I have the service manual and will be making a list of all the electrolytic capacitors that I need to purchase. I will be ordering from Digikey or Mouser but the problem is I'm not sure what type of capacitors I should choose. Does anyone have recommendations on which capacitors I should be ordering?

2. Mr. Yamaha

Mr. Yamaha Yamaha Junkie Subscriber

I used Elna Silmic II for signal path caps, Nichicon ES for bipolar caps and Nichicon PW for the other caps. Assuming we are solely talking about the electrolytics.

I also advice you to replace all VD1212 varisors with 2x 1N4148 diodes in series and all 2SC458 transistors with KSC1845FTA's.

3. jdawg

jdawg New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I did not even consider replacing the VD1212 or 2SC458 transistors but will replace those as well. I think those are also the same transistors I had to replace in my Akai reel to reel deck. Now the hard part is to figure out which capacitors are in the signal path so I know which Elna capacitors to order.

4. Mr. Yamaha

Mr. Yamaha Yamaha Junkie Subscriber

For the bi-polar (BP) signal path caps you can use also Nichicon ES (same as for non signal path BP).

C121
    C122
    C123
    C124
    C125
    C126
    C127
    C128
    C163 BP
    C164 BP
    C177 BP
    C178 BP
    C309 BP
    C310 BP
    C503 BP
    C504 BP
    C511
    C512

5. jdawg

jdawg New Member

Thanks for the list of capacitors that are in the signal path. It saved me a lot of trouble as I was having difficulty reading the schematic and figuring out the path of the audio signal.

Mr. Yamaha likes this.
  6. Blue Shadow

Blue Shadow I gotta get me a new title

I'm taking my huge scat and marking all those caps. Maybe I can learn something new from that exercise.

Mr. Yamaha likes this.