Yamaha C85 Line Noise Versus C2a

Hi, I know this thread is a couple of years old, but I found it by searching for hum/noisy C85 preamp, so others may do the same.

I too encountered the same problems with hum and basically went through same procedures as Sonavor. In addition, I disconnected first one and then the other PSUs, the C85 has two independent PSUs, one for phono and a couple of other stages and one for flat amp and output stage. After disconnecting them one at a time, to my surprise, hum still there with not a lot of change. I then disconnected the DC feeds to each section and hooked in a couple of standalone high quality PSUs, you've guessed it hum still there. One of the PSUs I used had it's own transformer, for the other one I used the windings of the Yamaha transformer after disconnecting it from bridge rec. At this stage I thought there could only be one explanation why hum still persisting, the transformer. I removed it from the enclosure, fortunately the leads were long enough to facilitate this and hey presto, hum gone. I'm not sure if this was a bad example of tx or if this is typical of the C85s. I had been blaming my Power Amplifiers for the hum, but after swapping a couple over and then using a pair of quite sensitive active speakers, to my surprise I found it to have been the preamp all along. I then decided to take things a little further and built an outboard PSU using 2 high qualty transformers, 2 high quality power supply/regulator boards ( upgraded some signal caps as well)and it now sounds fantastic. No hum whatsoever. Hope my long ramble will be of assistance to someone out there.

Thanks for the post tid8514. That is interesting information on the C85 hum problem. I am currently not at a point where I can revisit mine but as soon as I can I have a new place to investigate. Thanks again.

Hi, I've got you to thank as well. It was after reading your post that I found I was not the only one that had experienced this problem. Also a lot of what you had done to try and eliminate it, I had also done. I had actually stopped using it as I found the hum annoying when listening at low levels.
I then decided to pull it out again and carry out some further investigation and eventually located the source of problem. Looks like transformer radiation into sensitive preamp components
was the root cause.

Good luck with your one.

Back
Top Bottom