Yamaha CA-1000 repair. My first Yammy!

How can C & S be -30V or so? I like TR605, especially TR606, also R619.

Tell me about it! If it made sense, we wouldn't be here :). Uploading a pic at end of post to show the voltage - really, I'm not going crazy! I've pulled TR606 and it tests ok, but not ruling it out, but not sure it alone explains all of my weird voltages.

Sorry to bombard you. Can you check TR606 by measuring the voltages at E, C, B.
This can be done by measuring at point C and at R617, each side, wrt chassie.

Have already mentioned I have around -25V at all 3 pins of TR606. I know... bad. See pic below (I wrote "ok" just because I pulled and tested the transistor).

TOL -- Had a CA-800 one time that was giving me weird voltages.Like this. Ended up being a real dirty normal/class A slide switch.Needed to disassemble and clean the switch.

I was thinking switch in my original post. You know, when I flip the switch to class A (with power off, like a good little boy) the voltages are still not quite right, but they come back to sanity (for example, about -2V on base of TR606 .

Another thought.If this board has a missing or lifted ground connection " E " black wires. You will get some odd readings. This board has 3 ground connections.

Will check those carefully next.

Another question. Does this channel adjust to 15v between TP1 and TP2 ? (VR602)

Yes. See voltages on pic below.

Welcome the the wonderful world of Yamaha smurfer !! :D
nashou
Well hello! Fancy bumping into you. Thank you for the welcome. What crazy world have I entered into!

Thank you everyone for all of the comments. Really, I'm not crazy. And you guys are keeping me from losing my temper.

w9mR4wt.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: mbz
TOL -- Had a CA-800 one time that was giving me weird voltages.Like this. Ended up being a real dirty normal/class A slide switch.Needed to disassemble and clean the switch.

I had a CA-1000 with some really whacked voltages and the A/B microswitchs were bad.

The OP says high voltage on the drivers, all pins but the base of the outputs are 0!?!?!

Double check those outputs. I'm thinking the outputs are shorted and back feeding voltage to the drivers.

I had a CA-1000 with some really whacked voltages and the A/B microswitchs were bad.

The OP says high voltage on the drivers, all pins but the base of the outputs are 0!?!?!

Double check those outputs. I'm thinking the outputs are shorted and back feeding voltage to the drivers.

Output transistors were checked. Also same result when they are not installed. But maybe i should check the PCB near there as skmeone had made a mess of the TO3 socket installation previously. Also will check that bias switch.

Last edited:
If someone has been hacking, check everything they touched.
Are the drivers original? Are they in right?

Hack jobs can be real confusing. You can't assume anything is "normal".
I've wasted more time chasing my tail because someone screwed up a repair because they should not have been in there.

Measure the AC voltage between the 2 ORange wires on the electrlytic board to check
operation/class A switch. Expect about 68VAC (Normal) and 29VAC (Class A). 19VAC
or 48VAC would be bad.

Also, with power off, measure the resistance between pins B,S,C, all combinations, on the problematic
side. In normal all combinations should be zero ohms. In class A non zero, calc from schematic.

The voltage measurements on the schmatic appear to be for normal mode (B- = -48V).
In this case pins S and C should be shorted ie, same voltage, but they are not, -22V, -26V
indicating switch problem, or have I misinterpreted...

Measurements from a unit on the bench with new switches and power amps refurbished however
still being rebuilt so measurements with el cheapo mm might be misleading

L&R channels shown
NORMAL...BC...6 ohms 2ohms
BS...475 ohms 461 ohms
CS...468 ohms 460 ohms

CLASS A..BC...4.28k 4.1k
BS...4.28k 4.1k
CS...15 ohms 5ohms

If someone has been hacking, check everything they touched.
Are the drivers original? Are they in right?
They appear to be original. Haven't pulled them to test them, but resistances across it and to nearby components look good (but not ruling them out).

Measure the AC voltage between the 2 ORange wires on the electrlytic board to check
operation/class A switch. Expect about 68VAC (Normal) and 29VAC (Class A). 19VAC or 48VAC would be bad.
I have 73V (Normal) and 32V (Class A)

Measurements from a unit on the bench with new switches and power amps refurbished however
still being rebuilt so measurements with el cheapo mm might be misleading

L&R channels shown
NORMAL...BC...6 ohms 2ohms
BS...475 ohms 461 ohms
CS...468 ohms 460 ohms

CLASS A..BC...4.28k 4.1k
BS...4.28k 4.1k
CS...15 ohms 5ohms
I have:
Mode------Pins--------L------------R-------
NORMAL...BC.....0.4 ohms.....0.4 ohms
..................BS.....469 ohms....472 ohms
..................CS.....469 ohms....471 ohms
..................AB....1.52k ohms...2.38k ohms
..................AC....1.52k ohms...2.38k ohms
..................AS....1.99k ohms...2.85k ohms

Class A.....BC.....1.52k ohms...2.38k ohms
..................BS.....1.52k ohms...2.38k ohms
..................CS.....0.3 ohms......0.2 ohms
..................AB....1.52k ohms....2.38k ohms
..................AC....0.3 ohms.......0.3k ohms
..................AS....0.3 ohms.......0.3 ohms

So we have some difference between Left (bad) and right (assumed good) but we do have VR604 messing with all AX numbers and VR603 varying anything involved pin B so not jumping to conclusions for now. I guess I could disconnect them from the main amp board and measure again...and might as well inspect and clean that switches while I have the lid off.

yep!
In NORMAL, Pins B and C are connected/shorted
In CLASS A, Pins A and C are connected
Agreed. B-C short for NORMAL mode. Looks like A-C-S are shorted in my measurements for CLASS A mode and that is what I see in the schematic too.

Yes my numbers on the main amp schematic were all in Normal mode. We see pin B and C at about the same voltage give or take 1/4V, which has to be the case as you noted BC are short. So I'm going to clean that switch I guess, but I guess the issue is coming in on the main amp board... I may have to chase the source of that -ve DC after all. Further suggestions? (otherwise I'm just going to start checking all traces and pulling all transistors after TR604 to check... probably starting from drivers and working back. I've already checked all relevant caps and resistors on the board.)

Thanks again for the suggestions!

Reactions: mbz
Your tracing of the negative voltages may yield the results.

TR610(base) is just totally wrong. Possible source TR612?

Measure voltage at OUT pin and TP3 and 4 on problematic side, just to help with source.

probably starting from drivers and working back.
We've come full circle.

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-31_14-22-3.png
    upload_2017-1-31_14-22-3.png
    347.6 KB · Views: 20
Your tracing of the negative voltages may yield the results.

TR610(base) is just totally wrong. Possible source TR612?

Measure voltage at OUT pin and TP3 and 4 on problematic side, just to help with source.

We've come full circle.

That bad voltage at base of TR610 is there whether TR612 is removed or not. Will check traces near there when I'm pulling transistors. First I will measure some more voltages and complete the map a bit more... Thanks again.

Hi Smurfer,

Am off shift now so had a bit of a chance to peruse.

First impressions around TR606 is forget the Normal/Class A switching as this looks to be bias shifting on the base or a Collector resistor shorted to add current. The first port of call for me would be to find out where the +ve Collector supply has gone as you have -25V on all pins. No matter what the switch is set to there should be a +ve voltage coming via the resistors from TP1. The frippery around the Base and Emitter can only function if the collector has the +ve voltage to pull everything upwards. See where that gets you. I would say R614 has gone High or O/C. If not it should be cooking nicely.

GPS16

Hi Smurfer,

revised conclusion. Looked at the drawing from the thread and not the one from the manual. From the voltages you have added in red and that you have also said TR606 is functional, there is 2 volts across the Base/Emitter of TR606. This would turn the transistor hard on. Also from the voltages on the 2 collector supply resistors there appears to be 8mA going somewhere!!! The stages afterwards seem to be isolated by reverse diodes so it looks like the current is in fact going down TR606. It looks like "mbz" is on the right track. What does R617 measure at?

GPS16

GPS! Welcome aboard on another adventure (GPS has helped me out on several projects at this stage, after we 'met' via a reel-to-reel rebuild thread I was doing) - you are most welcome!!!

I would say R614 has gone High or O/C. If not it should be cooking nicely.
GPS16
R614 is sitting at 5.6kOhm where it should be... and up, it really has 50V across it.

revised conclusion. Looked at the drawing from the thread and not the one from the manual. From the voltages you have added in red and that you have also said TR606 is functional, there is 2 volts across the Base/Emitter of TR606. This would turn the transistor hard on. Also from the voltages on the 2 collector supply resistors there appears to be 8mA going somewhere!!! The stages afterwards seem to be isolated by reverse diodes so it looks like the current is in fact going down TR606. It looks like "mbz" is on the right track. What does R617 measure at?
GPS16

R617 is also okay. Just measured it now as well.

Am still suspicious of the driver area but you guys know more about these circuits then me for sure so let's see where this takes us. Would it be interesting if I take voltages around TR606 with the transistor removed? Sadly, I have to go to sleep now otherwise I would press on with some measurements... might be busy next couple of days with regular work too.

It is a nice looking machine though... might not look bad with it's silver face next to the RT-707 one day.

This morning, just before running to the train station I had 10 minutes spare and decided to pull TR606 again. The part tester shows hFE = 214 and Vf = 0.72V. While TR606 was out I did power up the amp (output transistors are out at the moment too) and the voltages on the pins were -20, -25 and -28 V (sorry, I didn't take note which was which right now... have to run).

and decided to pull TR606 again
TR606 has caused me issues in the past but I have to let it go in this case, high surronding voltages
point elsewhere.

Keep an eye on TR626, I've seen a few of these toasted. It won't be the cause of this problem.
From your measurements the OUT pin is at about +0.2V.

Will wait on your measurements especially around TR610,612.

Back
Top Bottom