Yamaha CA-1010 - mystery issue

Benz

Yeah Baby!
I received a CA-1010 yesterday - it's in great shape, and was very, very well packed.

I can't however get any sound out of it... and I am thinking I must have missed something obvious, like a specific switch that needs to be in certain position or something of the sort. I have played around with tone controls, rec output, mono switch, coupler switch, etc.

So far I have tried all the inputs (except phono) with 2 different sources, swapped cables, etc. to no avail. The power comes on, and the "protection circuit" clicks on after a few seconds. I can also hear a tiny pop in the headphones which seems to indicate all is good. The meters kind of jump when I power it on then go back to the zero position and stay there no matter what the volume setting is.

I have not tried with speakers yet, only headphones. I visually inspected the fuses - they seem fine. I took the black metal cover off on the right hand side, and did notice that the board (which was uncovered by taking off the metal cover) is cracked in three places where it should meet with the screws, and also see that a few screws are missing. I have not seen any bits of plastic or smaller broken pieces inside the amp, and there is no outside damage so I am thinking maybe the cracked board issue happened sometime in the past and is not related to shipping damage. I know this amp was working fine before it was shipped.

I was hoping a fellow AKer could point me in the right direction in order to solve this, as I mentioned before it could be some basic setting I missed...

Please help me get this amp singing - it's killing me to have it just sit there when I know what it can do.

Thanks in advance !

You might just check the fuses with an ohm meter. They might look OK, but that teeny little wire inside might have shaken loose. It has happened to me.

Also try a thorough cleaning of the Mode switch internally with DeoxIT as well as the Coupler switch and the -20 dB Muting switch.

As mentioned before check all the fuses with a meter..I believe there are 4 or 5 fuses on the bottom power supply board.acessed from the bottom cover.You can by-pass the coupler switch by hooking a RCA phono patch cord directly from the pre-out to the main-in on both the left and right channel on the rear.

Last edited:
I've had the same symptoms with my CA-1010 and the problem was that the pre-in/out switch on the back needed to be cleaned. Until then I got silence. After cleaning (only switch on the amp I'd forgotten) all was perfect.

Yes there are...

I just got back from work - my thanks to everyone who made suggestions so far! :thmbsp:

I will go and try all the above mentioned options and report back.

Ben

There is a switch on the back that separates the pre from the amp. There is no need for jumpers. I don't recall the wording, but check that switch first.

Reporting back... here is what I have just tried:
- checked all 11 fuses with an ohm meter - they are all good
- DeoxIT the coupler switch, audio muting switch, mode switch - still same result, no sound coming out (not even faint, just dead silence)
- bypassed the pre out/main in using RCA patch cable, tried with coupler switch in on and off position - no sound still
- hooked up speakers (I had only tried headphones so far) - nothing :thumbsdn:

...does anyone have other ideas? This fat lady MUST sing!

Need to verify that all the appropriate power supply voltages are getting to there proper destinations.The CA-1010 has quite a few " fuseable resistors" and it sounds like one or more has opened up.How are you at circuit tracing with a schematic? Measuring voltages on a "hot" chassis ?

Need to verify that all the appropriate power supply voltages are getting to there proper destinations.The CA-1010 has quite a few " fuseable resistors" and it sounds like one or more has opened up.How are you at circuit tracing with a schematic? Measuring voltages on a "hot" chassis ?

I would say this is beyond my competency to do on my own... my level of knowledge for troubleshooting is basic, so I would need some serious guidance if I were to attempt this.

It's starting to look like a more serious issue now, isn't it?

YIKES!! :sigh:

P7161085.jpg

P7161080.jpg

That'll do it...that explains why the relay clicked, but no sound. That can be repaired with patience, SuperGlue, and soldering those traces back together (or installing jumper wires). I had to do it with back panel phono RCA board on an A-1.

Those control rods can be separated and that entire board removed to repair it. That amp or the box (despite the packing) probably took one heck of a jolt!

Ok, so if I were to attempt this, would this be the order in which to do it:

1- remove board
2- spot all cracks and breaks, an mark them
3- use glue (which kind, really super glue?) to stick everything back together
4- re-wire the portion of the traces that were broken apart (will wire size matter?)

Is that it or am I missing anything?

You can use the center conductor from some old coax cable to lay on the traces that are broken. Use enough solder to "bury" the wire on the trace. Of course, this means removing the mask from the traces. This can be done with a tinned soldering iron. If the traces are very small, you might need smaller wire.

I have an old and quite dead Rotel I could practice on first... maybe I will do that. I would HATE to screw up the Yammy even further.

If I were to take this to the shop - would they even attempt a repair?

Are you able to get a clear shot at the cracked part of the board from below? If so, I'd repair it myself.
Here's a pic from amp8 showing the mask on traces removed:
http://amp8.com/tr-amp/yamaha/jpeg/bx1-1-14.jpg
The idea here is to shape wires to bridge the break in the trace, and solder the entire wire in the trace.

Back
Top Bottom