1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

yamaha ca-1010 replacement volume control

Discussion in 'Yamaha' started by harky, May 5, 2018.

1. harky

harky AK Subscriber Subscriber

good Evening everyone

i wonder if anyone can help with some advice/experience with a replacement volume control for a yamaha ca-1010,i have taken it out and stripped the offending balance pots apart cleaned and reassembled but no joy,i have volume on left and right when turned in the correct direction but at centre both channels are silent,both pots read correct resistance and volume works ok.
    there seems to be no replacement available that i can see.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

I believe the CA - 2010 may have the same control. Unfortunately these spare parts are usually attached to parts units.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  3. Fleischer

Fleischer Active Member

Actually, I believe that the pots on the CA-2010 are Alps units, and different from those on the CA-1010. If you or anyone else is parting out a 1010, I am looking for an input board, and would welcome a PM.

4. avionic

Could be..That even further reduces the possibilities.

Your correct.. The 2010 is different.

5. harky

i think the 2010 is different as well although not sure if they could be interchanged,but are also hard to find.
    maybe the only way to use the unit is to do away with the front balance pots and wire the balance so it is fixed equal left and right
    and just have the volume working-any ideas anyone?

6. Oilmaster

Oilmaster Drillers go deeper Subscriber

It is possible, but it would be a significant fine-mechanical job due to the shaft-in-shaft design, which also keeps the outer balance bezel in place with respect to the center volume knob
    Long have I dreamed to have a replacement design made for this.
    I am dreaming of other things these days.

7. harky

if i keep the main shaft and inboard shaft and just bridge the main pots it should still keep the appearance but have just the volume functionality ,the volume control consists
    of six pots with the first two pots nearest the facia being 5k and the main balance ,but the next two along are 3k pots and are linked in to the first two and not sure how looking at the schematics ,someone more savy with the diagram may know better ,the last two 55k pots are the main volume control.
    you can't just bridge between the wiper and the signal pin it does not work and the second two pots play a role in this
    now the question is how to best complete the task in hand

8. mbz

mbz AK Subscriber Subscriber

The 2x4k pots closest to the face plate are for balance.

They are connected to the "secondary" 3k volume pot via the relay.
    These are the middle 2 pots.

The remote 2x50k pots are the "main" volume pots.

With balance centered there is 2k from left leg to wiper and another 2k
    from wiper to right leg.

If the pot is unrepairable then consider snipping the balance pins off and
    replace with some nice high precision low temp coeff... 2k/2.2k resistors.

VolPot.JPG

9. mbz

Correction(?) the pots are listed as 5k but mine measured 3.9k (2.9k and 34.5k for the others) Balance action was not
    very smooth, probably needs the same fix.

10. harky

had the volume assembly out and first two pots apart, they seem to measure correct within reason but reassembled and soldered back in there is no volume at centre,only volume when turned to the left or right which i found puzzling,it looks to have been out previously at some stage as the pcb track have suffered although they read continuous.
    i may give the resistors a try as you suggest , my 5k pots only measure 4.5k,the second balance pot on the shaft had a broken tang on the wiper pressure spring in the housing
    which made it rough to use easy fix once out.

11. mbz

Sounds like it's not a complete basket case. I would hold off on snipping the pins. No volume when balance centered sounds odd, almost like a wiper contact problem.
    But on both channels means both pots... will sleep on it.

12. harky

Mbz -the pots measure ok at their two extremes on the meter and that's the strange thing, any advice is alway welcome

13. craigmech

craigmech New Member

Did you ever come up with a by-pass for this? I have a CA-1010 with a flaky balance control also.

14. avionic

15. harky

i had the whole volume control pot assembly apart and looked like it had been done a few times before tracks were just dead in places ,i snipped the legs of the original balance pots which enabled me to keep the exterior look and the knobs the same.I ended up installing a couple of satellite potentiometers semi fixed to the underside of the shield plate which gave me full option of balance if needed although meant taking the case of to do that but once set to listening area shouldn't have to touch them.nothing drastic and means if i ever find one it would be easy to put back to original, been working great with no issues