Yamaha CA-2000 / 2010 owners - anyone have / heard an all "Yamaha 2000" sound path?

VinylAddict8

I am the proud owner of Yamaha NS-2000 speakers, and a Yamaha GT-200L turntable... it would seem negligent to at least try a Yamaha CA-2000 integrated with that combo, no? :)

Anyone have an "all 2000" signal path from TT --> amp --> speakers??? Curious to hear your thoughts. Then again, technically I will be using a phono pre that's NOT Yamaha, so it won't be all Yamaha in the signal path, but I could always try their built in phono pre just for fun (knowing full well I'll get better sound from an external, so that's where I'll end up.)

As many know, HiFiDo has a few CA-2000's that have been deeply maintained / restored, and a two year guarantee, so at least I won't have to worry about a cap/transistor overhaul and cleaning as my first order of business. They aren't grossly overpriced, and I've ordered from Hifido before (most recently my GT-2000L last year), so I already understand shipping will be in the 300's but at least it'll be packed well!!!

From all my research, the CA-2010 seems to stack up well against most anything from that time at that price level --- I am also eyeing up an Accuphase E-202, others, but the Yamaha matching my system has a bearing. I owned vintage amps (Technics, Marantz, Kenwood) back in the late 70's and 80's, but they have been long since sold off to help pay for college, then for kids... you know the drill! I am currently driving my system with a Parasound P5 / A21 combo, and it does fairly well with the NS-2000.

Please share your thoughts on both the CA-2000 and the 2000 combo potential!!!

I'm actually going to hook things up this weekend so you'll be hearing more from me.:rockon:
Do you own the CX/MX-2000?

I have to admit, since you posted that, I have been researching a little more, and like what I see....

EDIT: Oh wait, I see in your sig line you have the MX-1000, and the CX-2000.... never mind!

One thing for sure after poking around, the MX-2000's are rare as hens teeth, not many for sale out there.... even if I wanted to buy one, I can't!! Plus, I am sure I am not the only one that would be looking, my assumption is they are highly sought after.

One thing for sure after poking around, the MX-2000's are rare as hens teeth, not many for sale out there.... even if I wanted to buy one, I can't!! Plus, I am sure I am not the only one that would be looking, my assumption is they are highly sought after.

They pop up for sale occasionally but you have to cast a wide net and be quick with the cash when a nice one presents itself.
I've been lucky in that all of my normally hard to find stuff has shown up no further than an hour from my house. Guess that is one good thing about living among so many damn people.

Do you own the CX/MX-2000?

I have to admit, since you posted that, I have been researching a little more, and like what I see....

EDIT: Oh wait, I see in your sig line you have the MX-1000, and the CX-2000.... never mind!

I have neither but have heard nothing but good things about them and they are definitely worth seeking. I think the CX-2000 may in fact be harder to find than the MX-2000. I almost bought a MX-2000 from hifido but got a B-2x instead because I was lucky enough to score a nice C-2x around that time. The CX-1/MX-1 combo is quite strong as well and currently not that hard to find (my CX-1 has given me some wow moments with the B-2x). But keep in mind that Yamaha is coming out with the new C-5000 and M-5000 separates for guys that like warranties.

They pop up for sale occasionally but you have to cast a wide net and be quick with the cash when a nice one presents itself.
I've been lucky in that all of my normally hard to find stuff has shown up no further than an hour from my house. Guess that is one good thing about living among so many damn people.
So true. In fact, I picked up my NS-2000 speakers while I was vacationing in Cali a few weeks back -- there has been a set for sale here in the Phx area for quite some time, you've probably seen them on Ebay too - the ones with the "inverted" rubber surround. But at $5K, no thank you.

When I was in Cali, I had designs on demoing a few speakers, and thought I wanted some Vandy 2's new, but was in the hotel and the NS-2000's came up on CL... and the rest is history. I drove home with them in the back of my pickup (WITH original boxes to boot).

Your "net" is only as wide as you want to drive, or how much you want to pay for ship.... and how quick you are on the trigger like you said.

I am going to put the net out a little on the MX-2000... even if I get the CA-2010, I could always try the MX later... if you get this stuff for the right price, and in the right condition, it's not THAT hard to sell it if you don't get greedy!

But keep in mind that Yamaha is coming out with the new C-5000 and M-5000 separates for guys that like warranties.
To elaborate further - for guys that also like a thinner wallet as well as warranties - new also comes at a MUCH higher price tag!! Not that I am discounting it, I will keep my eye on those, but how much is the M5000 and C5000 going to set one back? I didn't search on them -- maybe you know how much the combo will cost new --- please share!

I can get a nice CA-2010 fully and correctly restored for around a grand --- and I bet it sounds great and lasts a long time. Recall HiFiDo gives a 2 year guarantee - regardless of the fact I would probably have to never use it. Their maintenance on most items is done right. I have purchased two high end TT's from them, and haven't had a hint of a problem. You can't get that peace of mind from Ebay, Yahoo Auctions, etc.

I think I am going to stay on course with the CA-2010, at the price it's at, it will be fun to try.

So true. In fact, I picked up my NS-2000 speakers while I was vacationing in Cali a few weeks back -- there has been a set for sale here in the Phx area for quite some time, you've probably seen them on Ebay too - the ones with the "inverted" rubber surround. But at $5K, no thank you.

When I was in Cali, I had designs on demoing a few speakers, and thought I wanted some Vandy 2's new, but was in the hotel and the NS-2000's came up on CL... and the rest is history. I drove home with them in the back of my pickup (WITH original boxes to boot).

Your "net" is only as wide as you want to drive, or how much you want to pay for ship.... and how quick you are on the trigger like you said.

I am going to put the net out a little on the MX-2000... even if I get the CA-2010, I could always try the MX later... if you get this stuff for the right price, and in the right condition, it's not THAT hard to sell it if you don't get greedy!

I think I know the speakers you're talking about. I watched them on CL for quite a while and was happy when they finally disappeared. Glad an AK'r got them, they were beautiful.

If you're in the mood for an integrated I'd wholeheartedly recommend an A-1000 or even better the Japanese version the A-950. They are way under the radar and can be had for next to nothing but are one of the nicest sounding amps I've heard, period.
I've got one in my main system which was supposed to be a place holder until I got my B2x/C2x or C2a/M2 sets restored but I'm perfectly happy with it and in no rush to move it out. We even did a very informal A/B with an Audio Research VSi75 on my friends DM3000s and while it was different I am still very happy with what I've got.
I did pick up an A-950 a while ago which is even nicer with a copper coated chassis and extra shielding around the pre amp. I haven't actually powered the thing up yet to see if it sounds any different but the distortion figures are a touch lower so it might but who knows.

I think I know the speakers you're talking about. I watched them on CL for quite a while and was happy when they finally disappeared. Glad an AK'r got them, they were beautiful.

If you're in the mood for an integrated I'd wholeheartedly recommend an A-1000 or even better the Japanese version the A-950. They are way under the radar and can be had for next to nothing but are one of the nicest sounding amps I've heard, period.
I've got one in my main system which was supposed to be a place holder until I got my B2x/C2x or C2a/M2 sets restored but I'm perfectly happy with it and in no rush to move it out. We even did a very informal A/B with an Audio Research VSi75 on my friends DM3000s and while it was different I am still very happy with what I've got.
I did pick up an A-950 a while ago which is even nicer with a copper coated chassis and extra shielding around the pre amp. I haven't actually powered the thing up yet to see if it sounds any different but the distortion figures are a touch lower so it might but who knows.
Thanks for the rec. I have seen the A-1000... I have to admit I am a little more attracted to the CA-2010 with it's 30W of Class A power in addition to the 125W A/B, the 45lb heft due to the overbuilt amp, and I really like the build / appearance... it's kind of sexy. Let's face it - the A-1000 is ugly, it has the modern AVR, nothing to adore looks-wise appearance! Not that I am in it for the looks, just that it doesn't hurt.

Plus, we're talking a few hundred bucks difference in the end... not really a huge difference in price since they are both 30+ year old amps (the 2000 is 40), and are both well under new/retail type pricing and deeply discounted!

Remember too I already have a Parasound A21, paired with a P5, it's not like I NEED an amp :), and I am not looking to get a CA-2000 because I am trying to save money or go on the cheap... it's purely a luxury purchase that I want to see how it sounds in an all "2000" signal path -- remember the post title!!?? :) Who knows, it might blow me away, and I use the A21 as HT amp, or in another location.... or have it in case the CA-2000 gives up the ghost....

Last edited:
Ha, for sure. I forgot about the thread title! You've got a solid plan.
The CA definitely has the looks and the build. From what I've read it's got the sound as well.
I've been looking at the A-1000 since my father bought one new so its grown on me. I kinda forget it's a rather...utilitarian design. It just sounds really, really good. Makes up for the lack of fanciness.

Ha, for sure. I forgot about the thread title! You've got a solid plan.
The CA definitely has the looks and the build. From what I've read it's got the sound as well.
I've been looking at the A-1000 since my father bought one new so its grown on me. I kinda forget it's a rather...utilitarian design. It just sounds really, really good. Makes up for the lack of fanciness.
The "sounds really, really good" part is the important part... I'll keep it in mind, heck, from what I've seen it is only a few hundred bucks and looks like one of the better deals going! Thanks again for offering options, it is definitely worth consideration.

On a related topic of good amps --- Hifido listed a Kenwood L-02a yesterday, $1600.... now talk about UGLY! BUT.... that amp is an 80lb behemoth, at 170wpc, and is built with components meant to last.... but at the end of the day, it's size, footprint and separate PS make it almost TOO big... I thought the Parasound was a brick at 60lbs....

The L-02a's don't come up often, and it was on HOLD of course when I saw it only two hours after coming up.... but it IS ugly.

@OMGCat! I've been busy since we last exchanged.... thinking now I want a B-2 paired with a C-2a or C-2x.... The B-2 is "only" 100w per channel into 8 ohms ---- but the VFET sound is something I always wanted to try.

The B-2x at 170W per channel and Class A is attractive also, but from my reading thus far the B-2 edges it out for refinement...

... realize anything I get will be compared to a new Parasound A-21 @250w, so it'll be fun to compare vintage vs. new...

I should probably, just for fun, get a CA-2000, B-2, B-2x and MX-2000 and try them all!!! LOL Just kidding.... well kinda.

Bottom line - I think the B-2 creeped to the top of the list now.... but only due to perceived SQ, and not power ratings. Either way, 100w is still plenty to drive the NS-2000, and sometimes quality beats quantity.

I really like my B-2x. It's a great sounding amp and I really should get my butt in gear and get it on the bench for a resto.
I haven't found a B-2 yet but it's 100% on my radar.
The switchable class A that some of the integrated amps have seems to give a very subtle change in my experience. I actually prefer the A-1000 with Class A off when driving my B&W 804s. The treble seems to smooth out a bit too much for my liking.

The only thing about all of these older amps is they really need a restoration by now so you've got to factor that in which is a bit of a bummer. My C-2x has a bunch of iffy looking joints as well as the original tired caps so I know there would be an improvement in sound. The C-2a has the same plus it's recommended to replace all of the resistors which is a rather big job. I do my own work so it's more a matter of time needed rather than cost but it does take a lot of time to do the job properly and with the care these components deserve.
With a B-2 you've got the impossible to find FETs to deal with so running it with tired old components is not advised at all.

I'd love to try all of the Yamaha line some day. I keep buying up the TOTL gear as it pops up but some of the rarer things could take a long time. I think 100w is more than enough to drive the 2000s as long as you aren't going for concert level classical music.

Yup, well aware of the VFET unobtanium --- "you pays yer munny and you takes you chances!!" And you are correct, the last thing you want is an old cap to blow a top, and take out a FET in the process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And that's a given -- any CA-2010, B-2, B-2x etc purchased should either be already restored, or you should be planning one in the near future. I am already dusting off the soldering iron, was already doing so for my NS-2000 X-Over project.... I am also one that likes to do the work, it's not difficult, plus you can control what parts you put in there, and make sure it's done right!!!

There's one true statement about 30-40 year old electrolytic caps - they are either already bad or about to go bad!! YMMV, many opinions, but I am in the camp that 40 year old electrolytics should be replaced.

And funny you say that about classical - I have nearing 3000 LP's, and 1100 of those are classical... :) The rest are Jazz, rock, etc

thinking now I want a B-2 paired with a C-2a or C-2x..
The separates that you mention will out perform the CA-2000, my refurb'd 2000 is impressive however the refurb'd CA-1000
sounds more "musical" (whatever that means), the extra horsepower of the 2000, imaging/soundstage is impressive but
the CX-1000 (unrestored) betters the CA-2000 pre.

I really like my B-2x. It's a great sounding amp and I really should get my butt in gear and get it on the bench for a resto.
I haven't found a B-2 yet but it's 100% on my radar.
The switchable class A that some of the integrated amps have seems to give a very subtle change in my experience. I actually prefer the A-1000 with Class A off when driving my B&W 804s. The treble seems to smooth out a bit too much for my liking.

The only thing about all of these older amps is they really need a restoration by now so you've got to factor that in which is a bit of a bummer. My C-2x has a bunch of iffy looking joints as well as the original tired caps so I know there would be an improvement in sound. The C-2a has the same plus it's recommended to replace all of the resistors which is a rather big job. I do my own work so it's more a matter of time needed rather than cost but it does take a lot of time to do the job properly and with the care these components deserve.
With a B-2 you've got the impossible to find FETs to deal with so running it with tired old components is not advised at all.

I'd love to try all of the Yamaha line some day. I keep buying up the TOTL gear as it pops up but some of the rarer things could take a long time. I think 100w is more than enough to drive the 2000s as long as you aren't going for concert level classical music.
If and when you do your A-1000, use WIMA FKP or MKP to replace the Mylar's and you find Class A is much more appealing, especially in the upper range.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom