Yamaha CA-2010 Class A question

mcp1

I am currently having a 2010 completely restored...the tech is a little concerned by the heat generated by the unit when used in Class A (138 degrees). The bias has been returned to factory spec and many caps/electrolytics have been replaced...
Does anyone here use the 2010 in Class A? Any advice would be appreciated...

Fahrenheit? that should be within the safe operating limits for this receiver. even if the caps are only guaranteed safe up to 65C, you've still got room. and it's not going to get warmer than that during playback since a Class A amp is hottest at idle.

I run my CA-1010 in class A. I tried it in the normal mode but I much prefer the sound from its Class A setting. But..this isn't my main driver, so it doesn't get run all day, either. I was running it last night, comparing the two modes and I really like the Class A sound much better.

the tech is a little concerned by the heat generated by the unit when used in Class A (138 degrees
Thats only 59 degrees celcius - no problem
Not very experienced with class A I guess..Just give it plenty of breathing space and don´t block off the bottom or the top of the amp and it will be fine.If the bias is adjusted to spec. yes it will run hot , specially in idle. Its suppose to-its class " A "....thats why it has two big ass heatsinks..

Last edited:
I used to have a pair of CA-2010's and a CA-1010. They maybe sounded a little better in A but IMO, not worth the damage the heat will cause to your solder joints and components over time.

Thanks for the info, guys. Would there be any benefit in changing the output transistors to a higher rated value?

I used to have a pair of CA-2010's and a CA-1010. They maybe sounded a little better in A but IMO, not worth the damage the heat will cause to your solder joints and components over time.

For someone so afraid of heat, I'm surprised you live where you do.

lol, j/k man, j/k. :D

Back
Top Bottom