Yamaha CA-610 Receiver

moinau

Je me Souviens

Your though on this Integrated Amp, quality and so on.
Any reservation?
Thanks

Last edited:
My though is that radio reception is (should be) very bad on this "receiver", because it is a (respectable) amplifier.

Yes, it's an integrated amp, and not a receiver.
Just a bit of terminolgy fumble, there.

Good, quality integrated.
I know of no inherant problems with that unit.
Can be a nice foundation to a vintage set up.
The one I have has been put through the proverbial paces without any discomfort.

John

Yes, it's an integrated amp, and not a receiver.
Just a bit of terminolgy fumble, there.

Good, quality integrated.
I know of no inherant problems with that unit.
Can be a nice foundation to a vintage set up.
The one I have has been put through the proverbial paces without any discomfort.

John

Thanks for the input. Don't know much about Yamaha, I'm more familiar with the Sansui (AU-719) and the Pioneer (SA-8800)
My friend has the Sansui and I had the Pioneer, still have but its a very sick Amp at the moment.

Thinking of buying this Yamaha to replace my Pioneer.
Thanks

Well the ca 610 wont have the same power as your sa8800 (if you like the music loud)but you might be pleasently surprised by its sound. I have both a sa 8800 and sa 9900 currently sitting unused while my ca810 (next step up from ca610) is always making me smile anytime i need a backup setup. I say if the price is right def give it a listen. just my .02

It's an integrated amplifier of course rather than a receiver.

You can get a free copy of the the manual here: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php?div_code=av

just type CA 610 in the search box.

40W RMS @ 8ohms .05% THD.

I've never heard that model in action, but I have a Yamaha CR-620 receiver which is 35 wpc and presumably similar in specs and was new at the same time as the CA 610. It's a nice receiver. No powerhouse, but plenty of volume for most and it has that classic Yamaha 'natural' sound. It's one of the better looking receivers in the house as far as style goes. It was near mint when I got it (just had to replace the lamps) and I paid $60 for it which is about what I figure it was worth. The quality is high on these and you'll get a real 40 wpc out of that and I'd be willing to bet that it sounds nicer than many a 100 wpc A/V receiver on the market today.

I'm familiar with the ad you are looking at. I think he's probably got it priced a little high. Someone had one for sale locally here in Halifax just a couple of weeks ago for $40 - granted it didn't look to be in as nice shape, but the seller said it was fully working (and it sold within a couple of days). I'd probably try for about $20-25 off the price (unless you are really set on it and don't want it to get away).

Good luck.

Just realized some posts had gone up while I was busy typing.

I would suggest that this won't touch the SA-8800 in terms of power or clean output. Yamaha's are different sounding than Pioneers though in my opinion. Warmer might be one way to describe it. Not sure what you got the SA-8800 for, but the CA-610 isn't worth half of what the Pioneer is (IMHO of course). I would put these two in different classes altogether and would be surprised if you ended up getting it and actually liking it better enough to consider replacing the Pioneer SA-8800 with it as your listening amp.

It's an integrated amplifier of course rather than a receiver.

You can get a free copy of the the manual here: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/result.php?div_code=av

just type CA 610 in the search box.

40W RMS @ 8ohms .05% THD.

I've never heard that model in action, but I have a Yamaha CR-620 receiver which is 35 wpc and presumably similar in specs and was new at the same time as the CA 610. It's a nice receiver. No powerhouse, but plenty of volume for most and it has that classic Yamaha 'natural' sound. It's one of the better looking receivers in the house as far as style goes. It was near mint when I got it (just had to replace the lamps) and I paid $60 for it which is about what I figure it was worth. The quality is high on these and you'll get a real 40 wpc out of that and I'd be willing to bet that it sounds nicer than many a 100 wpc A/V receiver on the market today.

I'm familiar with the ad you are looking at. I think he's probably got it priced a little high. Someone had one for sale locally here in Halifax just a couple of weeks ago for $40 - granted it didn't look to be in as nice shape, but the seller said it was fully working (and it sold within a couple of days). I'd probably try for about $20-25 off the price (unless you are really set on it and don't want it to get away).

Good luck.

Thanks Dave. I've been looking for quite some time for something to replace my ailing Pioneer. But not being familiar or sure about this Yami, I had to ask a few questions.

I will give it a try, and see what he says, but you are right, it is overprice.

Just realized some posts had gone up while I was busy typing.

I would suggest that this won't touch the SA-8800 in terms of power or clean output. Yamaha's are different sounding than Pioneers though in my opinion. Warmer might be one way to describe it. Not sure what you got the SA-8800 for, but the CA-610 isn't worth half of what the Pioneer is (IMHO of course). I would put these two in different classes altogether and would be surprised if you ended up getting it and actually liking it better enough to consider replacing the Pioneer SA-8800 with it as your listening amp.

If I could find a trustworthy tech and capable of working with 70s equipment, I would spend some money and repair my Pioneer.
But there is nobody that I know of in this province, and sending it to Québec, it would cost too much, very heavy.

If you know of someone that could be a solution to one of my problem.

Well the ca 610 wont have the same power as your sa8800 (if you like the music loud)but you might be pleasently surprised by its sound. I have both a sa 8800 and sa 9900 currently sitting unused while my ca810 (next step up from ca610) is always making me smile anytime i need a backup setup. I say if the price is right def give it a listen. just my .02

Thanks. I will certainly give it a listen.

If I could find a trustworthy tech and capable of working with 70s equipment, I would spend some money and repair my Pioneer.
But there is nobody that I know of in this province, and sending it to Québec, it would cost too much, very heavy.

If you know of someone that could be a solution to one of my problem.

I know Peak Audio in Halifax advertises that they'll work on vintage gear. Not sure if that's close to you. I think they have a minimum charge of $25 to evaluate what's wrong. For something as nice as an SA-8800 that isn't a lot.

If you haven't already, you could probably try posting the symptoms up here in the Pioneer section. You might get a good idea about the depth of the problem from doing that as there are a lot of active and retired professional service techs on these board who are always more than willing to help diagnose problems. If you don't mind getting you hands dirty they might even be able to walk you through a fix.

Back
Top Bottom