Yamaha CA-800 - Balance Knob Removal

t_munz10

Hey All, long time lurker and I've finally come across something I haven't been able to find already answered on here! Hoping you can help me out.

Doing work on a CA-800 I picked up a few months ago. It plays, but is super scratchy and the power light is out. Going to clean the pots and see how it sounds before doing any cap or transistor replacements.

Thing is, I can't get the balance knob off! It doesn't have any set screws (at least that I can see). Thought it would be similar to my CA-610 II, which has two set screws on the balance behind the face plate.

Anyone taken one of these off?? Attached best pictures I can get. 20181124_164406.jpg 20181124_164355.jpg

If there aren't any set screws between the faceplate and the chassis it's a press-fit. You can usually pry them off. I use a stack of postit notes to protect the faceplate while levering upward gently with a flat screwdriver. Rotate the control between leverings to keep from bending the shaft or mangling the aluminium.

Personally, I don’t use the 2 spoons method. I get 2 decent width cable ties, make an O out of them, put them on either side of the shaft behind the knob, wrap my fingers around the rest of the ties and pull.

Just did this on a MX McIntosh and it worked great. The spoons scared me up against the glass of the Mcintosh.

I have a CA-800 as well packed away, and could have sworn there was a set screw. Of course, I defer to Avionic all things Yamaha! Don’t forget to clean the switch on the back, and don’t turn on Class A with it powered on. Good luck!

Place a few drops of WD40 carefully on the shaft to lube the plastic insert.

CA-800, very nice amp, PITA to refurbish. Keep an eye out for its bigger brother the CA-1000.

Back
Top Bottom