Yamaha CA-810 Balance Knob Removal - Manual Oversight

Luckyorleans

Thought it would be useful to have a post on this for anyone searching for why the balance knob doesn't pull off their Yamaha CA-810 like the manual says as it took a bit of searching and thread reading to figure this out. The service manual instructions for front panel disassembly on page 5 indicates pulling off the switch and volume knobs, and using a hex wrench to remove the knobs of the Phono Selector, Input Selector, Input Selector, Rec Out and Speakers.

What it does not say is that the balance control knob, which is on the same pot and shaft as the volume knob, does not slide off. There are 2 set screws that are only accessed from behind front panel panel that need to be loosened to remove it. When all the other knobs are removed, the front panel can be pulled out enough to provide access to these screws out with the same hex as the other knobs.

Balance knob front and back.

CA-801 BalanceS1.jpg

CA-801 Balance ScrewsS.jpg

Reactions: TRC
Thought everybody knew that..:biggrin: They are either 1.5 or 2 mm set screws

I expect folks who post to this section do! This is the first Yammie I have picked up and after fiddling with the balance I went searching and found info here and there so figured it out, but there is also some bad info like put a bit of WD-40 on the shaft and pull! Very surprised the manual has this missing.

Usually.. If its a metal knob it has set screws. If its a plastic knob it pulls off.
Except the big dial knobs of a few cheaper tuners like the CA-V1. They are made of aluminium and have a plastic center piece on the inside. Those can be pulled off.

Back
Top Bottom