Yamaha CD player problem

Analog King

Last week I was a thrift store in japan and there was a Yamaha CD player in there.One of these -

http://audio-heritage.jp/YAMAHA/player/cdx-800.html

It was around 6 bucks but the description said 'CD tray does not open". I was in a hurry so I left it there. I have been kind of kicking myself now since I checked Audio Heritage and discovered it was a 700 dollar player in 1987.

Are these kinds of problems an easy fix? Might be worth paying to get it repaired....
Really I am looking for a black Yamaha Cd deck to go with my other black stuff, but I did like the looks of that one. I guess the remote control was missing , too.

.....Are these kinds of problems an easy fix?

*that* is impossible to say, without knowledge on what is causing it - can be a motor not running, or something (typically plastic) broken in the mechanic.

And then the big unpleassant question : spareparts available ?

and since it's that old, how good are the laser pickup ?

I wouldn't spend $6 on a thing that don't work :no:

cd player

Could be something as simple as a new belt for the tray motor. I had a 845 that the belt started slipping and couldn't find a replacement. What you have to do is remove the old belt, cut a piece of string and place it on top of the existing belt to get a measurement, then subtract about 10-15% from that total and find a replacement. Can't remember right off the top of my head where i found mine online, but just do a search on cd belts and try to find the right length for a belt from another manufacturer. Takes a few minutes and hopefully will resolve the problem.

Broken belts? Or stretched. Some universal belt kits used to be just rubber belts that were not sized, you measured and cut the ends square with a razor. Then you glued the ends together with a drop of super glue. I suppose in a jam that would work with a stretched belt or broken one. Stretched you could cut out a small section and glue the ends together, or glue the ends together on a broken one. Have to be pretty precise, especially with square belts. Just the tiniest drop of super glue on the end of a toothpick and then join the ends as perfectly as you can, with care. The glue with stick right away on rubber so you have to get it right. Well for 6 bucks you would not be out much if it could not be fixed but I would think hard about spending alot on an early CD player with the later industry improvements in design, and thus sound.

That is a good point. And I am wondering why, for example HIFIDO still regularly sells "vintage" CD decks for a hefty sum.
I wonder what present day Yamaha CD decks are like...

Why waste your time and money on something broken? Used CD players that do not have obvious problems are easy to find often for less than $10. Make sure it loads and unloads and indicates it is playing with a test cd. Ask to hook it up to an amp to test if possible.

Charlie

My CDX-2000 was purchased new (well, it was one of five that were remaining in the Yamaha warehouse long after the unit's model year). Anyway, even though it was new, the belt slipped after a short time and the disc drawer stopped opening. Needed a simple belt replacement and it was good to go. I purchased the belt from Yamaha, and one extra one for future use, I wonder if Yamaha still has these around?

I am sure this player has long been snapped up.
Really looking for a decent black Yamaha cd deck and tape deck to go alongside my other black Yamaha gear.

Do not buy a 1987 CD player. That was only four years after the "dawn of the CD" and there have been MANY generations of improvements (e.g. oversampling) since that time.

Additionally, a great many players from that era have weak or defective laser pickups, and the original pickups for that model are generally unobtainable.

Finally, players of that generation will generally NOT play discs made on a CD burner or computer.

Fred

Finally, players of that generation will generally NOT play discs made on a CD burner or computer.

Fred

that is not true. Phillips players from the beginning in 1984 play CDR without problems. Most others brands do as well, just make a slow CD burn at 2x speed.

But CD-RW do not play.

Do not buy a 1987 CD player.

Hmm. You are saying that if I get a chance to pick up a CDX-10000 or 5000, it would be a bad decision to do so? :)

The CDX-800 was not BPC, it seems to run the PCM-56-J DAC witch was TOTL at that time. At $6 it would be quite ok to pick it up and try to get it running, but don't spend to much money trying to do so.

I would buy it for that money !!!

Chances are after a belt replacement and a lens clean it will work fine....

IMO old CD players sound fine............

Of the older players, Yamaha's sound very good. Most likely it needs a belt, and it is very easy to fix. There is a large cam gear on the right hand side top, and the belt operates it, via a pulley and gear as I recall. The circumference of the belt is important and the thickness is as well. MCM Electronics has belts. Use the link at the bottom of the page.

Do not buy a 1987 CD player. That was only four years after the "dawn of the CD" and there have been MANY generations of improvements (e.g. oversampling) since that time.

Additionally, a great many players from that era have weak or defective laser pickups, and the original pickups for that model are generally unobtainable.

Fred

Well, that's why I stick to philips based players myself. Run forever and play CD-R's no problem. I cannot imagine why they ever went away from that incredible pickup.

Marc

Well, that's why I stick to philips based players myself. Run forever and play CD-R's no problem. I cannot imagine why they ever went away from that incredible pickup.

Marc

Maybe simply the cost ?

I also love them. They are great reliable and robust machines and sound so nice. And in fact they do play CD-R.

That CDX800 was one of our first HiBit CD players, and quite decent sounding. If memory serves, these also had DG-1 heads which were just fantastic. Too bad you didn't pick this one up, probably a stretched belt.

I thought this thread would have died by now!
I have not been back. The shop (a branch of HARD OFF) is 2 hours away...
My go back later this month just to check.
They had a wood base Pioneer TT and a marble base Aurex TT for less than 2,000 yen each too hehehe

I'd like to say I love my Yamaha CD-2. It performs day in and day out and sounds very good for a 1984 deck. The transport seems flawless and flawed CD's seem to skip less...but alas won't play burned CDs

my 1987 sony cdp-502es plays burned cd with no problem better than the 2002
scd-670 player
but in general u got to have luck to find an old cd player with a good laser

Back
Top Bottom