Yamaha CD players... the best?

Pat217

Hello all, I'm new here and have some questions about early Yamaha cd players. I have assembled what I believe to be a very good entry-level Yamaha-only kit but I believe the CD player could be improved.

Any opinions on what the "good" or "best" CD players from Yamaha are? Specifically looking at early, single disc units. Some of the units with better DACs seemed to get poor reviews, so I'm wondering if there are any other tips out there.

I'll post some more details about my kit a little later, but I just finished rebuilding the power supply in my c-45 and I'm pleased to say it's restored my passion for hi-fi.

Welcome to AK. I'm sure someone will come along shortly and provide input on the CD question. Personally I prefer my cambridgeaudio pieces.
Did you get all that damn sony glue erradicated from your C-45 and corroded bits replaced?

Not an M-45 amp, I'll have to double check what the model is when I get home from work. Yes, I got all the glue off. What a mess! I had originally opened that amp to replace the RCA terminals, since some were damaged by some too-tight interconnects. When I had finished that job, I put it back together to find a no-power condition! The cause was obvious once I looked more closely at the glue. Took a while to get the caps and zeners needed, but ultimately the reassembly took less than a couple of hours (after sitting on my bench for 6-8 months). It's good to be back, but I'm getting a little off-topic...

Hi, l am very happy with the sound of my Yamaha CDX-1030, it is one of the over 10kg models. Yamaha certainly made bigger and better models than this though, all depends on how much you would like to spend. There is the CDX-1050, CDX-1100, CDX1120, CDX2000, CDX10000 etc...just to name a few.

So in general, the heavy units were the top quality ones? so a 1030 or 1050 is a step up from my CDX 530?

So in general, the heavy units were the top quality ones? so a 1030 or 1050 is a step up from my CDX 530?

Yes to both of your questions. The CDX-1030 is the top model of your CDX-530 series with the CDX-730 and CDX-930 in between l believe. The top models of the era also have digital outputs so you have the flexibility to experiment with an external DAC if you so wish, but l think they do sound very good using their own internal DAC's.

I have two old Yamaha CD players (CD-2 and CDX-810), and both show signs of age, having problems reading discs.

Todays CD players should top most of the old ones sound wise, I'd look out for a CD-S1000 oder better. And they match the classic Yamaha gear quite well.

Any input on the CD N301 with regards to SQ? I have been eyeing one in my local HiFi shop. I have not had a CD player for ages but have a tonne of CDs in the house. My current setup is in the same room as my main PC and the streaming capabilities of this unit is rather attractive if I choose to go the digital way.

A little late to the show. More votes for CDX-1100U and CDX-1120. Both are dual transformer and have multiple D/A chips. The 1120 has four total chips, two per channel. Both are absolute bargains, IMO.

CDX-1120 and CDX-5050 are identical innards sans copper chassis to the CDX-2020. If running, it is a great bargain. I just fixed my CDX-2020 with two new belts and it's still going strong.

However, as Avionic and others have pointed out, modern alternatives are likely superior if you're only after the sound. I'm partial to my Oppo BDP also for CD playback, but then I also ripped everything to FLAC and tend to stream it.

........................CDX-2020.........................................|..............................................CDX-1120...................
DSC_9934.JPG

Last edited:
modern alternatives are likely superior if you're only after the sound

Prob not for the same money though, would a new Yamaha CD-S300 sound better than one of these old TOTL units? doubt it, l haven't compared though. Granted you do run the risk of laser failure on an older unit with many of them now being obsolete.

The CDX-2020 is the Titanium/wood/copper chassis model. The CDX-1120 is my backup parts unit. ;)

However, the LCD panel are different colors, so there's that...

Old yes but this topic is exactly some info I seek. Does anyone have a complete list of Yamaha CD player models from their beginning until 1990 or so in chronological order?

Old yes but this topic is exactly some info I seek. Does anyone have a complete list of Yamaha CD player models from their beginning until 1990 or so in chronological order?
Sometimes stuff gets lost at the bottom of an old thread. It’s often better to start a new one.

That said, if no one has one, you could start the thread by seeing what’s poster at HFE and on the AK database. It will be tough to be fully accurate, and worldwide markets varied, but it’s a start.

Understood. Then there are others that want to complain to someone who didn't search and "there's already a thread on this topic".

In any case, it seems like there are more different model Yamaha CD players over the years than their other pieces of equipment. Geez a lot of them.

So I'll search more.....but individual postings around the Net seem to praise the CDX-1120.

Understood. Then there are others that want to complain to someone who didn't search and "there's already a thread on this topic
Yep. Here, I find folks like new threads (especially if something is broken).

This kind of list is really helpful. I did a similar thing for Yamaha preamps and I’m compiling one for the pro amplifiers. Just good to know when the came out and a few specs..

Back
Top Bottom