1. Rest in Peace Paul (Kegger) If you would like to help the family in this time of great sorrow and need, you may donate on their GoFundme page: https://www.gofundme.com/mckechnie-medical-and-funeral-fund?
    Dismiss Notice

Yamaha CD-X2 and Pioneer PD-M910

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by N8Nagel, Jul 3, 2017.

1. N8Nagel

N8Nagel AK Subscriber Subscriber

Any common problems with either? Any unobtanium parts? Both are at my local thrift and don't work. Yamaha tray won't open so I'm hoping it's a belt. Pioneer has single disc tray only and won't read. Yes, I know to insert disc label down, still no bueno.

Tomorrow is 50% off day, I'm an insomniac, and both were in excellent cosmetic condition so I figure unless someone tells me not to, I'll go back at 9 AM and grab both.

2. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

The Pioneer PD-M910 is worth picking up. I wouldn't bother with the CD-X2.

3. N8Nagel

I kind of want the CD-X2 not because it's such a great player, but because it's as close as I'm likely to find to a CDP-101... well I'm up anyway so this is on

4. N8Nagel

Well I got both for $18... Then went to the LPs and cried because the guy that got there first thing had about 30 great, mint looking LPs picked out... No sense even waiting for him to finish. Got home, Yamaha works but needs a belt, reads track index and... Hangs. Cleaned laser no diff. Gonna try the other one now :(

5. ilusndweller

ilusndweller Super Member

I went to the thrift a few weeks ago and someone had just dropped off 5 boxes of records, mostly jazz(all in excellent condition). It appears I got there 5 minutes late bc as I got there he was heading to the cash register with about 100 titles. Still found 12 though. He got all the Miles Davis though. D'oh! Ive been going to thrifts for 6 years now and have never seen anything like this, usually just englebert humpernickle, andy williams, sing along with mitch, and brigadoon with the pic of the kilt on the cover.

6. N8Nagel

LOL yeah that's what I expect too. Odd thing is there are two thrifts next to each other, I flipped through the LPs in the one yesterday and got through one stack and quit in disgust. Didn't even look at the second one because they had maybe 1/3 of the LPs as the first and they appeared similar... then this morning...

Well, I'm stuck on the Pioneer too... gonna start another thread about that one. Think I need a new laser and maybe more.

7. ilusndweller

This may or may not come into play but I have a pioneer 410 cd. It has a mechanical issue that I havent tried to fix yet. It plays but makes a rubbing noise(from cd spinning). If I take the lid off and apply downward pressure with my finger on the back of the tray area it plays w/o making the noise but as soon as I remove pressure, rubbing noise comes back.

// worse was just a week ago when an excellent pair of advent heritages for $12.99 (I have a pair that need work, hopefully just a fuse) got swooped up. I went in and was looking at them while another guy was slightly away looking at their electronics. He saw me looking at them, walked over, saw the price on top, went to the cashier and payed for them, Aaaaaarghhhh, not cool! And I just donated a bunch of stuff.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
  8. N8Nagel

9. ilusndweller

Gotcha. Now that I think about it, I remember that same unit in a thrift @24.99 but didnt work(also missing mag but I have one). Heavy, nice hex shaped bottom, etc. Considered @ half price but figured I already had enough cd players that needed work lol. Good luck, seems like a nice unit!

10. N8Nagel

LOL you're not local are you? this was marked $19.99 and cosmetically damn near perfect. A few tiny dots of wax on the side panels and it will look like a museum piece. I'm thinking this is the laser lens issue. I tried the popular "turn it on its side and shake it" troubleshooting technique but nothing came out. It might be my mind but when the disc is in place I swear I hear that little "chk-chk" tracking noise meaning it might be using the laser for disc detection in which case the whole thing could just be the laser's lens falling out. Unfortunately there are a few holes in the bottom of the case so glueing it back in isn't an option :(

11. N8Nagel

I just realized something - the CD-X2 probably has a second belt to move the laser I bet? Going to try again when I get home from work, if that's the case I'll throw some gum bands in there and see if I can make it work, assuming I have the right sizes.

Anyone have a good source for replacement belts?

12. N8Nagel

13. N8Nagel

Ripped back into Yamaha. Found there was in fact a laser belt, emphasis on was, it was slightly less disintegrated than the tray belt so cleanup was a little easier, threw some gum bands in there, listening to it now! doesn't track worth a crap on scratched discs but a) it was made in 1984 and b) I am, after all, using office supplies to replace the laser tracking belt, so there's that.

Size given above appears right, can't seem to find a source for "real" belts, anyone got any ideas?

Haven't been back to any thrifts, Pioneer is listed on BT if anyone has the parts to fix it or I'll eventually find a donor unit myself.

14. N8Nagel

Just curious, how good *is* the Pioneer PD-M910? Looks like I can fix it by stealing the laser from a donor unit, but they aren't cheap. Just wondering if worth the investment. I mean, I can look up completed eBay sales, but is it better than, not as good as, etc. the going price?

15. NAD80

NAD80 Well-Known Member

16. N8Nagel

Thanks for that, but it looks like the smallest square belts they sell are way too large for my application - the 32x1x1 does appear to be correct

I did find an eBay seller from Portugal who supposedly has a pair for a reasonable price... more than I spent for the player but not by much. Total budget still under $20 plus some q-tips, paper towels, and isopropanol... hopefully when they show up they work

17. NAD80

NAD80 Well-Known Member

Good, will be useful. The IPA will word great for cleaning and leaving no residue. Hope the belt works great.

18. N8Nagel

Belts arrived today. eBay seller recycling_electronics; how can they ship them so fast from Portugal? $9.08 per pair shipped. So I've more than doubled my investment in the Yamaha but it's now longer working on gum bands. Scrubbed the top of the case, the pulleys, and cleaned the laser again while I had the top off. Looks pretty good now.

Still looking for a donor for the Pioneer. There's a PD-M40 on Craigslist near me but the seller hasn't responded yet.